Linux Need a program to do xyz task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Using Linux and need to know which program to use common tasks. help is here:

Here is list of common applications(My fav applications)

• Distribution: Archlinux 64bit
  • Desktop environment: KDE4
  • Office suite(word,exel etc): Libre openOffice
  • Graphics viewer & editor: Picasa & digiKam
  • Browser: Firefox,Chrome,Opera
  • Bittorrent client azureus,deluge & rtorrent
  • Download manager: wget,kget
  • Instant messenger: kopete
  • Mail client: Google apps - web based
  • FTP client: filezilla
  • Audio player: Amarok, Exaile,songbird,Audacious,BMP (Beep Media Player),Banshee
  • Video player: Smplayer
  • All in one multimedia player: VLC
  • CD & DVD Burning:k3b and nerolinux 4
  • Audio Video Encoding: Handbrake,winff
  • Video CD/DVD Creator man2dvd
  • Terminal: Konsole & Yakuake/Guake
  • Hard Disk Health Inspection:Gsmartcontrol
  • Package Manager(Archlinux) Shaman
  • Encryption & Data protection: Truecrypt
  • Virtualization VirtualBox
  • Twitter Clients:Adobe Air Based: tweetdesk,twhirl,Destroy Twitter. GTK/KDE apps: choqok,mitter,microblog-purple[
  • IDE: geany,Eclipse,ajunta, netbeans
  • TV viewing: tvtime, xawtv
  • backups : GUI:back in time,FlyBack. More info given on ArchLinux's Wiki:Backup_programs
  • ipod sync: gtkpod
  • blogging: kblogger
  • Media Center: XBMC,MythTV,moovida

Still not found your perfect application? ask here!

if you like this post please add some reputation points or say a plain thank-you.that's the best encouragement for me

Last Update:13April 2012

re: Need a program to do xxx task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

gcbeldar said:
Requested to add download links

Use your distro's package manager. Like synaptic in Ubuntu,Yum for fedora, Yast for OpenSuse and so on. most software given here, will be available in repos.

If you still need download links. Google with the name:)

vishalrao said:
repped :) .....

awesome list. 5 stars :)

see if you can put Adobe air apps for social networking :)

desiibond said:
see if you can put Adobe air apps for social networking :)

added a few twitter clients based on AIR. that's the only AIR based apps I use. if you know more, feel free to post:)

when you are working in ssh client (read putty)/ command prompt

1. web browser: elinks, wget

2. ftp client: ftp

3. using shared folders on windows: mount.cifs with "-o username=" option

4. text editor: vim, emacs, less (noob warning!!!)

5. check memory: cat /proc/meminfo

6. "ctrl+r" in bash for reverse search of history.

7. "ctrl+u" deletes entire line and "ctrl+w" deletes word.

8. ps -ef | grep "binary name" for process info

9. task manager: top

:cool2:sorry for spamming.:ashamed::ashamed:

IDE: Eclipse

media organizer: songbird

TV viewing: tvtime, xawtv

backup : back in time

ipod sync: gtkpod

blogging: kblogger

Re: Need a program to do xxx task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

desiibond said:
IDE: Eclipse

media organizer: songbird

TV viewing: tvtime, xawtv

backup : back in time

ipod sync: gtkpod

blogging: kblogger

Updated:hap2:

Here is new Application for all those who are frustrated while trying to make File Sharing work but still are not able to configure the settings correctly.

From the Creator of Powerpill, I present to you:

QuickServe - a simple HTTP server for ad-hoc file sharing

Author's words:

I got sick of setting up servers/network shares/netcat just to transfer a few files now and then (e.g. to a friend's computer), so I wrote this. This is very simple but it gets the job done perfectly.

Info page: quickserve

How if Works:

1) Start the Server & enter the path which you want to share.

2) Open the browser(any) on the computer where you want to download files an click on the file to start downloading.

That's it:hap2:

Note: It also supports Uploads, so in case you need to upload anything. start the server as "quickserv --upload=UPLOAD_DIR" where UPLOAD_DIR is the dir where you want to store the uploaded files. Now open the page in broswer, you will be greeted with a simple file upload form:)

All thanks to its creator.

Downloads:

ArchLinux users can grab its from Aur. Rest of you, download the source tarball from here. it does not have any dependencies apart from python so, don't worry about 'Dependency hell':p

Bonus Tip from me:

An Additional use I found of this application is Audio Video Streaming. as this essentially is a http server.you can stream Movies,Songs across the your network. Use VLC. Open Media --> Open Network and enter the exact URL from address bar of your browser of the file you want to stream.

Need an updated tut to get vadapav (vdpau) accelerated HD working in ubuntu. I tried archish's guide.. no good :(
mplayer either doesn't give any video output or gives messed up (sorta inverted) colors.

VLC can do HD alright, but not accelerated, which pretty much means that I can't use my lappie for anything else.

stalker said:
Need an updated tut to get vadapav (vdpau) accelerated HD working in ubuntu. I tried archish's guide.. no good :(
mplayer either doesn't give any video output or gives messed up (sorta inverted) colors.

VLC can do HD alright, but not accelerated, which pretty much means that I can't use my lappie for anything else.

Try the following:

How to compile mplayer with vdpau support on Ubuntu | My Thoughts

Note: I haven't personally got vdpau working on Ubuntu. I used hardware decoding on Archlinux, as all I need to do was to install this package which is whole lot easier than Ubuntu:hap2:

stalker said:
Done.. doesn't work :(

Since the mplayer is complied directly from svn repo, it is unstable constant changes made by mplayer developers. someday it complies fine, next day it it break.

so what error did you get?

Gaurish said:
Since the mplayer is complied directly from svn repo, it is unstable constant changes made by mplayer developers. someday it complies fine, next day it it break.

so what error did you get?

mplayer either doesn't give any video output or gives messed up (sorta inverted) colors

OpenShot 1.0 - Easy to use Video Editor

250kyki.jpg

OpenShot (Figure 1) is a non-linear editor (NLE) for video. The "non-linear" qualifier simply means that you can play, edit, and mix video footage in any order or at any point you wish. In addition to this random access a modern digital NLE is typically non-destructive, thereby allowing free experimentation with edits and effects while leaving your original material in pristine condition.

OpenShot is a free download, available as a live CD or DVD, as an Ubuntu/Debian repository, and pre-compiled for Ubuntu and Fedora systems. If you've given OpenShot a try and like it, or find it lacking a certain something, tell us about it in the comments.
OpenShot Video Editor: OpenShot 1.0 Has Arrived!
The interface looks cool, I am gonna try it:hap2:

stalker said:

which version are you on?

Simple way is to use this Nvidia PPA

Install Smplayer and configure it to use the VDPAU video output. It will install mplayer as well which can also be used directly. Anyway Smplayer frontend it too good :hap2:

Personally compiling from source n all is good thing for learning and optimized build but for quick working solution I prefer to stick to binary package :p n with so many PPA repos these days what can i say more :D

Back