Linux Need a program to do xyz task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

Re: Need a program to do xxx task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

I need to video chat using webcam from linux to users in windows.
yahoo messenger preferable, but I am fine with any other service also.
Any software for video chatting from ubuntu ?

Like new Taskbar bar in Windows 7? Want same in KDE? Now, you can get the Win7 Task grouping in KDE.

Its called Smooth Tasks

48624bae87fe4d461.png

Get it here:

Smooth Tasks KDE-Look.org

I think smooth tasks is packaged in Ubuntu so a simple apt-get should suffice though I dont use this myself... :)

Bumper Post - Media Players for Linux

1) Amarok

2) audacious

3) banshee

4) decibel

5) JuK

6)kaffeine

7)bangarang

8)falf player

9)Kirocker Music

10) LRCshow-X

11) Rhythmbox

12) VLC

13) XBMC

1zppav9.png

Choose whatever player you like from the above list:D

Nice work going here Gaurish :)

Any software like Neat Image in linux? Although NI works via Wine prefer some native app. Dont want to use GIMP for this.

archish said:
Nice work going here Gaurish :)

Any software like Neat Image in linux? Although NI works via Wine prefer some native app. Dont want to use GIMP for this.

Hi,

Tried digiKam with kipi-plugins? that's what I use for my photo management needs.

It does support "Auto correction" mode, if that's what you were looking for. but one of my fav features is direct export of pics to social network sites like facebook, very handy so I don't have to deal with crappy jave based facebook uploader:eek:hyeah:

Check the feature page, so see if it support that feature you are looking for

digiKam is not there in my default Kubuntu install from desktop live CD, so not really "out of the box" but you can install it for sure....

BTW I like VLC the bestestestest of them all !

then I would have installed it on my Kubuntu !! :p manually.

I have bunch of things to be installed when I finish installing a linux distro, so really hard to keep track of what I install and what comes out of the box :p

Gaurish said:
Hi,
Tried digiKam with kipi-plugins? that's what I use for my photo management needs.

It does support "Auto correction" mode, if that's what you were looking for. but one of my fav features is direct export of pics to social network sites like facebook, very handy so I don't have to deal with crappy jave based facebook uploader:eek:hyeah:

Check the feature page, so see if it support that feature you are looking for

Was not looking for photo management app :) Neat Image is used for Noise Reduction and its too good in that. There are some nice plugins in GIMP but none that great or good as NI. Will keep looking if I can get any native app in linux.

archish said:
Was not looking for photo management app :) Neat Image is used for Noise Reduction and its too good in that. There are some nice plugins in GIMP but none that great or good as NI. Will keep looking if I can get any native app in linux.

Well, digiKam does supports editing including basic noise reduction(I just checked). maybe its performance is not good, is that the case? have you tried?

Gaurish said:
Well, digiKam does supports editing including basic noise reduction(I just checked). maybe its performance is not good, is that the case? have you tried?

Tried playing around with it. Wouldnt say bad, it decent enough. Anything written in gtk or not using kde libs. digiKam asks for 350mb worth of dependencies when I choose to install in ubuntu :)

archish said:
Tried playing around with it. Wouldnt say bad, it decent enough. Anything written in gtk or not using kde libs. digiKam asks for 350mb worth of dependencies when I choose to install in ubuntu :)

True. That darky said. Its just 8mb download on my system with KDE4.

any suggestions on .lit reader for Kde as well a good comic reader?
and one more question, I have jpg images(comic images) is there an application to display those images (in the sense,should be like a widget but not exactly a widget,I should be able to minimize it ) and everyday or every few hours it should change the picture ?

You can try the Comic Strip plasma widget(Right on Desktop --> Add Widgets). it automatices fetches new comics on internet.

alternatively you can look at QComicBook

QComicBook KDE-Apps.org

Back