Need a specific type of screenshot tool

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm on lookout for a specific type of screenshot tool.

The one which will capture:
  1. the name of the app (eg:calculator)
  2. window title (eg: notepad file name)
  3. browser tab site name (gmai)
  4. full-screen app/window (vlc) while saving the screenshot file.

Thus, while looking out for something it becomes easy to find the right image without going through 100s of them manually.

Also, a tool which will work right from any window.

Right now using Greenshot and Snapcrab, they are good but 80% of times if I'm on some xyz window/tab, even after pressing the capture hotkeys, they wont capture and I have to keep click on taskbar to actually get the screenshot hotkey to work.

I heavily rely on screenshot so above listed listed features will be life saving for everyone incl me.

I use sharex. It does add application name to screenshot file name. But not sure if it will take title of the window (like notepad/word document file name, it will just add notepad/word to screenshot file name).

I use sharex. It does add application name to screenshot file name. But not sure if it will take title of the window (like notepad/word document file name, it will just add notepad/word to screenshot file name).
Cool! Is it freeware?

I've been using ShareX for the past 2 yrs now. As @D C mentioned it's a great opensource tool and has a lot of features. It does screen recording too which is my primary use for it. It has options for customizing the names of capture files using given arguments. Here are a couple of screenshots of available naming options. The screenshots are of course taken with ShareX :)

Attachments

• r01UVfgmr8.png
    r01UVfgmr8.png
    678.3 KB · Views: 80
  • wecfkwO2VG.png
    wecfkwO2VG.png
    677.3 KB · Views: 79
  • y4Ln4Tip6I.png
    y4Ln4Tip6I.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 77
Can shareX scroll though a web page and capture all of it ?
Try

Can shareX scroll though a web page and capture all of it ?
Yes it does support scrolling capture. Though I haven't used it much. You'll have to try out the feature to see if it suits your need. I've found it to be a little finicky and the app also mentions on the settings page that scrolling capture will be on a best effort basis. Here's the scrolling capture options page from ShareX.
I use the inbuilt capture feature of my web browser(Vivaldi) for scrolling capture of webpages.

Attachments

• ShareX_dbIVDS8zTy.png
    ShareX_dbIVDS8zTy.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 60
Try

I use this :)

Other screenshots are done the old school way.

Prt SCR on to MS Paint and cropped

Yes it does support scrolling capture. Though I haven't used it much. You'll have to try out the feature to see if it suits your need. I've found it to be a little finicky and the app also mentions on the settings page that scrolling capture will be on a best effort basis. Here's the scrolling capture options page from ShareX.
I use the inbuilt capture feature of my web browser(Vivaldi) for scrolling capture of webpages.
Not heard of that browser before. Doesn't run chrome extensions though which I find useful

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

These things were always built in… have you tried alt+print screen, alt+print screen and other combinations of buttons? Alt print screen only captures active window.

Anyhow, if you want to make tutorials use screen to gif on windows. Similar tools are built in on linux and mac.

Back