Need a storage Geyser for two people

Get an instant water geyser installed in the kitchen. We have been using instant geyser for the last 15 years. We just collect the water in a bucket before the bath. Also installing the geyser in kitchen will also help in cleaning utensils during the winters. We have 2 instant geysers installed. One in the bathroom and another in the kitchen.

Get an instant water geyser installed in the kitchen. We have been using instant geyser for the last 15 years. We just collect the water in a bucket before the bath. Also installing the geyser in kitchen will also help in cleaning utensils during the winters. We have 2 instant geysers installed. One in the bathroom and another in the kitchen.
The one drawback for this would be if there is powercut when we want to have bath. Infact initially I was planning to go for Instant Geyser but the store fellow suggested Storage Geyser. Also one more problem which I realized now is that the water is not continuous. It comes only for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. So I think have to go for Storage Geyser.

given the circumstances, you shouldn't install any type of geyser in your rented apartment. i don't know whether your landlord has already carried out the necessary plumbing.

a good quality immersion rod will be more than necessary. i have one ISI branded rod made by some renowned company (forgot the name). it's got a temperature sensor which automatically cuts off the power when water heats up to a certain pre-set temperature. it's got a few lights to indicate the working status and it's got some auto power cut-off feature in case of a short circuit. i've tried out certain scenarios and i found it to be completely safe. also, it switches off if you take it out of water. its cable is heat resistant and is quite thick (speaks of quality).

you should get one such rod for the peace of mind and ease of use. your storage geyser would definitely require more maintenance than a rod.

given the circumstances, you shouldn't install any type of geyser in your rented apartment. i don't know whether your landlord has already carried out the necessary plumbing.

a good quality immersion rod will be more than necessary. i have one ISI branded rod made by some renowned company (forgot the name). it's got a temperature sensor which automatically cuts off the power when water heats up to a certain pre-set temperature. it's got a few lights to indicate the working status and it's got some auto power cut-off feature in case of a short circuit. i've tried out certain scenarios and i found it to be completely safe. also, it switches off if you take it out of water. its cable is heat resistant and is quite thick (speaks of quality).

you should get one such rod for the peace of mind and ease of use. your storage geyser would definitely require more maintenance than a rod.
Thanks for your valuable comments.
In my current apartment in the bathroom there is a provision to have a Geyser installed and includes connection to the water tank however the water connection is for bore water which I assume many people do have bath with. Since we have direct water connection I was initially planning to have some kind of setup so that we can have the direct water for bath using geyser.

Can you give me more details on the immersion rod that you are using? My current bajaj Immersion rod takes 18 mins to heat the water instead of that I thought it's a good idea to get a geyser since it may heat the water faster also my daughter will be safe with geyser.

wish i could help you with the model/make of my immersion rod. we used it last winters as we had some issues with the water supply. since then, it's been lying somewhere in the store room and i am unable to locate it. i'll post a picture if i happen to find it.

it doesn't look like the regular rods as you can find on this page: http://www.homeshop18.com/immersion-heaters-rods/

it has a long temperature sensor prong and the circuit housing (plastic top) looks something like this:
images.jpg

i got it from electric market in Chandni Chowk, Old Delhi 4 years ago. and it was definitely more than double the cost of regular rods. i guess it's either 1.5 or 2.0 KW and that's why it heats up water quickly (or maybe i don't use very hot water).

considering that you have a kid at home, your priority should be a good quality geyser and then a good quality rod. Though the chances of electric shock is less with a rod but risk of unexpected burns is always there. BTW, geysers are more prone to electric shocks as people tend to be more adventurous with them.

if you are planning to use the geyser for lot of years then you should buy one with some extra features (alarm, auto on/off, digital display) or gadgets (remote). i have seen such features on AO Smith and Haier (i haven't used other brands). my Haier provides me water at a set time and at a set temperature. when to switch on, is its headache. however i need to calculate the start time backwards on my AO Smith to be able to get water at a set time. they both have remote and option to choose 1, 2 or 3 KW power consumption. Haier in my bathroom is of 15 litre capacity (1 bucket) and it takes somewhere between 5 mins (at 3 KW) or 11 mins (at 1 KW) to deliver piping hot water. of course, water at my home is not icy cold. also, it has other useful features meant for office goers or who need hot water at specific intervals and not throughout the day. basic storage geysers continue to draw power unless switched off from mains.

Thanks for your inputs. You have put me in dilemma now whether I should get an immersion rod or the geyser based on your explanation. :)
I tried to google to find out about the Immersion rod with the features you mentioned online but I couldn't find one like the pic you posted. I currently have the one like the one you have in the Homeshop18 link.

So what do you suggest finally
1. Get the immersion rod with the features you mentioned.
2. Get a Storage Geyser and have it fixed in kitchen

The limitations with the point 2 would be that I would have to time my bath around an hour in the morning or an hour in the evening since I'm assuming I would need continous water supply to the geyser.

actually, the situation turned in favour of geyser when you brought your kid into the picture :)

buy another rod:
- only if you are able to get something better (with at least auto cut-off feature) than your current model.
- if you can safely handle it everytime your family needs hot water. make it inaccessible to your daughter.

buy a storage geyser:
- if you have absolutely no reason to use hot water other than an hour in the morning and evening. you can use your existing rod for odd timings.

few options for geysers:
- check out the 35 or 25 litre models. you can use the extra water when there's no water supply. only downside it that it'll take longer to heat up water.
- geysers with smart features may cost you upwards of Rs 10,000. check them out if your budget permits. such geysers may let you sleep for some extra time in the morning ;). also, they'll continue to do their job without your intervention (in case you forget to switch it off in the morning or need hot water at night but you are not at home in the evening).

if you are unable to decide:
i'd suggest that you first look for a better rod. use it for this season and if you are unsatisfied with it, then buy a geyser at a discounted rate at the onset of summers. in the meantime, you'll get plenty of time to checkout the latest geysers at various stores.

@ gaurav will appreciate if you can give more details about the Immersion rod you are talking about. Will try to get an hand over it.
@ abhishek. I have some things to consider hence delaying buying it.

@ gaurav will appreciate if you can give more details about the Immersion rod you are talking about. Will try to get an hand over it.
@ abhishek. I have some things to consider hence delaying buying it.

dont buy an immersion rod - it has inherent safety risks , especially with a kid around. anyways you can get bajaj/racold immersion rods everwhere!

dont buy an immersion rod - it has inherent safety risks , especially with a kid around. anyways you can get bajaj/racold immersion rods everwhere!
I already have Bajaj Immersion rod. I was looking for immersion rod which has auto cut off and quick heat options as mentioned by Gaurav.

^^ here are the pictures of that rod:

full view:
the rod.jpg

side 1:
side 1.jpg

side 2:
side 2.jpg

round top with operation light. it switches off when desired water temperature is reached. now, i don't remember what that 'desired' temperature is :p (it was mentioned on the packaging). i spotted one hologram which says 'Lazer'.

operation light + 3D hologram.jpg

here you can see the temperature sensor probe.
temperature probe 1.jpg

temperature probe, captured from bottom:
temperature probe 2.jpg

Looks like it's brand called Maximum. Will I be able to get this online? I wasn't able to find this here in Hyderabad in local stores.
How much did you say this costed you?

yes, it's possible to find something like that online. i don't know the correct name for this type of rod, so i couldn't find it online... otherwise i would've shared the link instead of explaining about it at length :D

i can't recall the price as it's around 5 years old. all i remember that it was costlier than the usual bajajs and racolds. i bought it because of it's build quality.

yes, it's possible to find something like that online. i don't know the correct name for this type of rod, so i couldn't find it online... otherwise i would've shared the link instead of explaining about it at length :D

i can't recall the price as it's around 5 years old. all i remember that it was costlier than the usual bajajs and racolds. i bought it because of it's build quality.
I was able to find something similar online but looks like that guy is looking for some bulk orders and he is asking for email to check about the enquiry.
You said you bought if locally from Delhi right?
Most probably would go for Geyser. Need to decide between the below
1. AO Smith(My choice)
2. Bajaj
3. Racold

yes, i got mine from old delhi.

to select the geyser, you need to check with your dealer for the brand which provides hassle free service in your area. if all three brands short-listed by you provide the same kind of service and you are getting more or less similar set of features within your budget, then the choice merely boils down to the looks of the geyser.

yes, i got mine from old delhi.

to select the geyser, you need to check with your dealer for the brand which provides hassle free service in your area. if all three brands short-listed by you provide the same kind of service and you are getting more or less similar set of features within your budget, then the choice merely boils down to the looks of the geyser.
The morons here don't know much about the features,atleast most of the showroom guys. I feel they are selling based on what gives them more margin.
Most of them say AO Smith is better but that's coz it's a brand name and this was funny since it specializes only in Geysers the product will be good than rest.
I had others say that Bajaj and racold are better since they are old and trusted.
I had someone say V- Guard also is good but I have never heard that name when it comes to Geysers.
Can you please list down on the primary features that I need to look into.

The main reason why I want to go for AO Smith is that it wouldn't have installation charges.

The morons here don't know much about the features,atleast most of the showroom guys. I feel they are selling based on what gives them more margin.
Most of them say AO Smith is better but that's coz it's a brand name and this was funny since it specializes only in Geysers the product will be good than rest.
I had others say that Bajaj and racold are better since they are old and trusted.
I had someone say V- Guard also is good but I have never heard that name when it comes to Geysers.
Can you please list down on the primary features that I need to look into.

The main reason why I want to go for AO Smith is that it wouldn't have installation charges.

How Much installation costs ? 400 bucks here in Hyd ! you end up giving 200 bucks for Chai Paani to the person who comes for free installation !
Service centre in your locality, Steel body at least 25L capacity
Scheduled on off if your budget permits, but Auto cut off MUSTT

Brands
Racold, CG, AO Smith, Bajaj in this order of preference from me

How Much installation costs ? 400 bucks here in Hyd ! you end up giving 200 bucks for Chai Paani to the person who comes for free installation !
Service centre in your locality, Steel body at least 25L capacity
Scheduled on off if your budget permits, but Auto cut off MUSTT

Brands
Racold, CG, AO Smith, Bajaj in this order of preference from me
Though your suggestions look honest I'm afraid I don't understand some of those statements. Sorry if I sound rude.
Are you asking or telling me that it would cost Rs 400? I'm assuming you are saying that you are from Hyderabad as well. Right?
Service center in your locality what does this imply?
Do you think it's worth investing on 25 L Capacity? Could this be because of my current situation that I don't have water supply every time on?
What is scheduled on/off?

Would appreciate if you could give more details?
@ Gaurav would it be possible for you to buy that from your place. I Can have someone get it from New Delhi.

Back