Budget 20-25K Need a sturdy quad core android

phunguus

Disciple
Im currently of the opinion that top brands grossly overprice their stuff. If I dont get any good phones by the time this thread dies, ill go get the Canvas HD.

1. Budget?
A: ~25k for a good branded phone OR ~13k for a cheap rebranded phone(read canvas hd)

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: Sharp & clear screen(atleast 250ppi) with IPS and a strong glass covering. Size strictly between 4”-5”.

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: None.

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Not a priority. No of MPs doent matter to me. Just that low light snaps should come out good.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android (as close to 4.2 as possible)

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: EDGE, wifi, 3G in that order. Don't need 4G.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Average 1h calling per day. Apart from that music(FM radio included), frequent gaming, videos, some pdfs and regular internet surfing.

10. Any other requirements?
A: Quad core, alteast 1GB RAM, lots of dedicated space for apps (cant put a number but planning to load some heavy apps and games), shouldnt be a problem getting android updates(custom rom works for me), strong battery, should survive occasional falls.
Don't care if its a single SIM/dual SIM.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Had nexus 4 in mind but it doesnt have expandable storage.

12. Current Phone(s)?
A: Nokia 5530 XpressMusic(5800's trimmed version). Using it since april 2010 (thats 3 years 4months). Never been on android before.

Notes:-
1. If i spend 25k, ill expect to stay with it for atleast 2years.
2. As I said, I feel top brands overprice their stuff. Open for debate on this.
3. I know most of the quad cores are 5" but i feel 4.5" is the sweet spot for my palm size.
4. Have a colleague coming from USA in dec 1st week, anything interesting releasing in that time over there? Ready to wait if its worth it.

Thanks.

@phunguus You were looking at a used version of the LG phone, and I feel that its best avoided. Would suggest to go for a new phone. As far as internal space is concerned, try to go for devices with 16gigs if possible. Then start scaling down.

My suggestion is to stick to a device like the S3 or Nexus. Both will get good support and are decent overall devices. Even if you are importing the pieces from US, you wont have issues with components. This is not the same for the other devices, as the ASSC may refuse to RMA the device. Plus, the resale value also should be taken into account.

As for @terence_fdes - rooting is very simple and I can understand your apprehension. I too felt the same, then said **** it and went ahead. AFAIK, Sammy does not have a issue with rooted devices being RMAed (depends on service centres) but you will need to use the stock ROM.

@blr_p Custom ROMs are always of a higher quality that stock - Else no point jumping ship to custom. And initally, custom roms may have issues, but over time and with devs working, it matures into a good ROM.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you deal with overheating, is got a glass back and compact like the xperia. S4 runs hot. Does a case help things. How stable is the unit when it gets hot. reboots etc ?

Indoors photos & video.

Has LG pushed a 4.2 update yet. I hear people complain that LG is slow with updates.

overheating is not much in this phone , i usually game real racing 3 and mortal kombat 4 , ya the heat is there but never crossed 60 degrees for me, processor getting heated is normal but need to keep tab of battery temperature as thats more important than CPU , i had issues with nexus 4 when battery temp used to cross 60 got it replaced once but faced same problem , so in the end i sold the n4, its compact but better put a case on it , with the case its damn sturdy .

without case if u happen to drop , one thing u can expect for sure is a crack on the back glass , m having to small hairline cracks but hardware is fine , so not a problem though , it will reboot once the temperature crosses almost 65 degrees battery temp as some times u can get a bulge on the back if the overheat continues but for normal usage its very gud... camera is not so gud but outdoor pics are gud, indoor if lighting is proper it takes acceptable photos and video is the same too at 30-35fps , its slow with updates ya but atm there is only 4.1.2 , but getting 4.2 will take time as it wont be stock google interface , more of a LG interface m expecting ! but phone is worth getting than any other out there where u need to shell out almost 30-50k for just a hd screen , 13mp cam and a few mhz increase in processor !

I have no need to divert anything, either you misunderstood what i said or i was not clear. I have since qualified what i meant.
But you haven't admitted you were wrong in that post. You clearly were. That is confusing for any one reading your original post that I quoted.

If I quoted you "out of context", show me from CONTEXT of THAT post, and show how I quoted you "out of context".

Video not working, is this acceptable or will you avoid the upgrade ? So yeah upgrade is possible but something might not work. If you opt out then you are SOL.NOW, are you going to keep asserting that froyo to ICS was a painless upgrade (which ROM) AND on which device btw?) or like i showed, bring out the goods.
If I had said that all custom ROMs ever made were awesome with all the features, I might have needed to support it with answers to these questions. But since it has not been my position, that all custom ROMs ever made are awesome and with all the features, I don't need to answer these questions. This is where you are trying to divert the topic.

My only point is - you said custom ROMs do not come with "updates". That is wrong. Plain and simple wrong. In context wrong. Just wrong. I never said anything more than that, nor will I allow you to put words into my mouth. I hereby explicitly point out that I never said that all custom ROMs have all the features, so stop that bullshit about features of custom ROMs which I never said anything about.

If I quoted you "out of context", show me from CONTEXT of THAT post, and show how I quoted you "out of context".
By quoting one line out of a para. You should have included the para. Simple as that.

If I had said that all custom ROMs ever made were awesome with all the features, I might have needed to support it with answers to these questions. But since it has not been my position, that all custom ROMs ever made are awesome and with all the features, I don't need to answer these questions. This is where you are trying to divert the topic.
That was an invitation for you to share your experiences, going trough OS upgrades. THAT really is the point isn't it. Vendor dumps you, who do you look to ? XDA. How well did the custom ROMS work out on devices that are no longer supported.

Presumably, you've gone through this ?

Actually anyone else want to chime in on their custom ROM upgrade experiences. Then we'll see if these 'upgrades' really count or not.

My suggestion is to stick to a device like the S3 or Nexus. Both will get good support and are decent overall devices.
S3 has only 1GB RAM, how well will it handle 5.0 ?

Right now i'm hovering between nexus 4, optimus G or xperia Z/ZL/ZR.

Nexus 4 would be a good educational experience. Has the most choice to play with.

The E970 is tempting but i think i can live with 32GB RAM on the local model. I still have my clip+ anyway.

Even if you are importing the pieces from US, you wont have issues with components. This is not the same for the other devices, as the ASSC may refuse to RMA the device. Plus, the resale value also should be taken into account.
My first choice was to get a galaxy s4 form the US. But i've heard samsung will not repair anything that isn't released here. That's a serious limitation. Does not stop 3rd party from doing it as the samungs are very repairable provided parts can be sourced. Its still a risk though. Resale value won't be good because others won't want to go through this hassle.

It makes me wonder about the resale value of samsungs in general. The market is flooded with them anyway. Asking price has a direct bearing on supply.

Custom ROMs are always of a higher quality that stock - Else no point jumping ship to custom. And initally, custom roms may have issues, but over time and with devs working, it matures into a good ROM.
Less bloated UIs, provided you pick devices that work completely with them. That is the initial barrier to overcome. Device driver availability. Fancy component makers don't like to share source code.

But you haven't admitted you were wrong in that post. You clearly were. That is confusing for any one reading your original post that I quoted.
FINE, i will admit that not doing updates in my earlier post was wrong, Happy.

You get updates. Whether they work is the question. An important one. Otherwise its as good as no updates. There is a subtle point there that i'm trying to inject.

My only point is - you said custom ROMs do not come with "updates". That is wrong. Plain and simple wrong. In context wrong. Just wrong. I never said anything more than that, nor will I allow you to put words into my mouth. I hereby explicitly point out that I never said that all custom ROMs have all the features, so stop that bullshit about features of custom ROMs which I never said anything about.
i'm not putting words in your mouth. I don't resort to tricks like that. There is no need.

You said updates allowed people to go from froyo to ICS. Technically correct, but what was the experience there. Good for some not for others.

How to ensure you are in the former camp ? tell me that.

Have to go for a nexus. What if i don't want to do that, what do i need to check.[DOUBLEPOST=1374830319][/DOUBLEPOST]
From your behaviour, I guess the point is to say anything without knowing anything about it, and later claim you were quoted out of context.
Cited the S Advance and provided sources.

To make my point i only need to show one example :)

overheating is not much in this phone , i usually game real racing 3 and mortal kombat 4 , ya the heat is there but never crossed 60 degrees for me, processor getting heated is normal but need to keep tab of battery temperature as thats more important than CPU , i had issues with nexus 4 when battery temp used to cross 60 got it replaced once but faced same problem , so in the end i sold the n4, its compact but better put a case on it , with the case its damn sturdy .
Interesting, so given a choice between nexus 4 and optimus g, you would recommend the optimus.

camera is not so gud but outdoor pics are gud, indoor if lighting is proper it takes acceptable photos and video is the same too at 30-35fps , its slow with updates ya but atm there is only 4.1.2 , but getting 4.2 will take time as it wont be stock google interface , more of a LG interface m expecting ! but phone is worth getting than any other out there where u need to shell out almost 30-50k for just a hd screen , 13mp cam and a few mhz increase in processor !
Yep the camera is a let down with this model, the nexus 4 has better low light performance.

Have you tried custom ROMS yet. There are two available for this device, CM & Xenon.

Noticed only a few indians on XDA posting about this device, its not well known at all.

If you have a Citibank credit card, you can get the Xperia ZR for 27,999-10%. The 10% is in the form of cash back which will be credited back to your account by September 15th apparently. Offer valid till 1st August.

Interesting, so given a choice between nexus 4 and optimus g, you would recommend the optimus.

Yep the camera is a let down with this model, the nexus 4 has better low light performance.

Have you tried custom ROMS yet. There are two available for this device, CM & Xenon.

Noticed only a few indians on XDA posting about this device, its not well known at all.

ya i run custom only , i used to develop a few on modaco's forum that too was when vanilla rolled out for xperia x10 , but never got time later to continue further developments too , nowadays just do testing for various roms on xda , and there is nothing such for optimus G for the AT&T version i.e E970 as there are 3 other models so dunno about their development , but m sure that doesnt have Xenon , ya CM is available for almost every phone out there ... ya m using custom rom only , never like my phone to be full of bloat :D if i remember exactly there are only 2-3 users precise on XDA for this model e970 including me :p !

EBay is safe dude as long as the trader is trusted with nice repute and all the stuff ..optimus g will be the best IMO considering ur requirements and the market is not so good especially dollar rates up high end phones doesn't differ much in terms of processing power or graphics from optimus g ..
People underestimate LG mobiles , I use optimus g myself and will not be upgrading for atleast this year as just a couple of MHz increase proccesor and full HD doesn't tempt me .. As battery life is important too ..

In optimus g u even have an option of converting into nexus 4 so u can use all the stuff related to nexus 4 for ur optimus G so basically it becomes nexus 4 + sdcard slot , and for radio there is an app spirit FM which is free and works without data connection but the headset should have the antenna for FM if u remember the old phones where headsets need to be connected to phone to listen radio...
Any further info u can always pm me I will be glad to help u out regarding optimus g / nexus 4 as I had both and m well familiar with em ... But sold my n4 ;)

So you have the E975 hor the E970? If it's the E970, then did you import it or bought it off someone here?

heh, i take it you've seen the various tests that show the xperia isn't as tough as its touted. Gorilla glass is certainly more scratch resistant but its not crack resistant. So slap a good screen protector on either and where is the difference. Only a bumper case can improve your chances here.
Yup. Also read about a variety of other issues like phone hanging/rebooting, overheating, improperly saturated colors on dispaly etc. Although there is a thread on xda where a kernel dev clears the air saying that the display thing is a software issue and not a hardware one.

If you have till November then that's when you have to decide. Keep any open mind till then and get out and try out different models. I've not heard you say yet that you ACTUALLY held a certain device in your hand and liked it. No croma or reliance store where you live ? There are a number of ergonomic factors to be aware of. You might have likes/dislikes etc.
I think you are right. I'll atleast wait till august 8 thing to see if any more clues are dropped regarding the next nexus release. Got 2 cromas and a reliance digital store in 10km radius. It's just the getting off my ass part which i don't do. Plus it's been raining like cherrapunji in mumbai this week. Will head out on the weekend and try to get my hands on as many devices as possible,
Just realise that even though the optimus G mirrors the nexus 4 in terms of hardware, ROMs that are built for the nexus 4 will not run on the optimus G unless they are specifically built for it. This is the case even between E970 & E975.

Damn...i think i'll have to eventually suck it up and get a nexus. :inpain:

So you have the E975 hor the E970? If it's the E970, then did you import it or bought it off someone here?

Yup. Also read about a variety of other issues like phone hanging/rebooting, overheating, improperly saturated colors on dispaly etc. Although there is a thread on xda where a kernel dev clears the air saying that the display thing is a software issue and not a hardware one.

I think you are right. I'll atleast wait till august 8 thing to see if any more clues are dropped regarding the next nexus release. Got 2 cromas and a reliance digital store in 10km radius. It's just the getting off my ass part which i don't do. Plus it's been raining like cherrapunji in mumbai this week. Will head out on the weekend and try to get my hands on as many devices as possible,

i was in US few months back so while coming got both the phones at the same time , the model is E970 thats the AT&T version
there is a method to convert E970 to n4 , its been successful in many cases but there are chances of it failing to if steps not done properly , but once done ur phone can use the same roms kernel and all sh** for nexus and can get updated like it too !

Important points :
1. Never do something you cannot undo.
2. Never break rule 1.
To which i will add a user replaceable battery increases your chances of recovering a bricked device. Is a user replaceable battery really that necessary ?

So, this is understood, i'm talking beyond that. How do you ensure or lets say increase the chances that custom ROMS will support all the components of your device. THAT is the issue here, updates come at the cost of reduced functionality. For a vendor, the best way to kill off a device is to make it difficult to update, failing which only partially so in order to sell more devices. Push for obsolesence. And the vendor is a very powerful adversary given its their product to begin with. No device drivers means no way for anybody to get things working.

From what i can tell, ensuring hardware ability is primary. This is why i'm pushing (more than 1GB) RAM models as being more future proof than 1 GB models. If the device is capable then its up to the vendor to release an update. Course they will only bother to do this with flagship models. What this means is that whether you go for a cheaper device or a flagship, your annual cost remains more or less the same. Cheap device is 15k, obsolete after a year or so, flagship costs twice as much obsolete in two. Course you get a better experience in that period with a flagship than not. Cheaper devices do not attract lots of custom development so that door is closed. Do you know of any few exceptions out there.

There seems to be some maturation occurring on the hardware side though, an iphone 4 user does not necessarily want an iphone5, nor a tab2 owner a tab3 or an s3 user an s4 and a nexus 7 user a nexus 7 II. Pushing from 2-3 years is becoming more feasible than it was two years ago. The software side however is still very fluid, mobile UI's 5 years from now are going to a lot more geared towards mobiles than being desktop knockoffs. They will grow in resource demand, at what rate is uncertain.Will it take the same amount of time to reach 5.3 as it did 4.3. This is why 2GB RAM is better than 1GB. It means not only 5.0 but possibly beyond too.

The other idea i've had to increase chances of custom development is to pick devices that have as few regional variants as possible. If a device comes with 4 different versions for different markets it very effectively splits the development effort, forcing devs to pick favourites and well, the rest get dumped. Fewer hardware variants means better chances at the 3rd party lottery. Device driver issues are down to cooperation from the vendors which typically will not come from market share leaders, have to look further down the pecking order for more humble behaviour.

Do you have anything to add along these lines ?

i was in US few months back so while coming got both the phones at the same time , the model is E970 thats the AT&T version
there is a method to convert E970 to n4 , its been successful in many cases but there are chances of it failing to if steps not done properly , but once done ur phone can use the same roms kernel and all sh** for nexus and can get updated like it too !
That's very interesting, i wonder whether it would also work for the E975. Otherwise the E970 is more attractive than the E975. What about repairs though for models not launched in India ?

Lets assume the flash is successful. To what extent will code made for the nexus 4 run on the LGs.

You've partially answered a query i had. Why you let the nexus 4 go for the LG, given you like custom roms ?

I'd have thought you prefer to stick with the nexus 4 no matter what. What did the LG offer to make you switch.

They've done this for the nexus 4, with the 4.3 update. People had to calibrate things themselves before using mods. It's better than it used to be. I hear battery life has also improved.

Unless you see the displays and hold the devices in your hand, nothing you read here counts for anything. Bear in mind the shop will not have an updated nexus 4 so it will look very washed out compared to the optimus g. Even the xperia will seem that way. I hear its got a screen enhancement update due soon too. What consumes the most battery ? the screen. That's what you spend looking at the most. How important is a good screen for usability.

But there is the lack of SD card, so that's another factor to juggle.

If its between the optimus g vs the nexus 4, then @acerulz would be the person to ask.

You said nov, wait till then, the note 3 will be out in sept, and possibly the optimus G2 in Oct. Meanwhile its rumoured that Sony will bring out Honami by that time too. Yeah, they like to make it as difficult as possible to make your mind up isn't it :)

There is something that i find odd in the way LG staggered releases of the optimus G. It came out in the US in Sept last year, we only got to see it in March over here. The other thing is they release the SD card version there and a no sd version here. Strange.

Your 20-25 budget limitation isn't a real barrier. How hard is to raise 25-50% more by Nov plus you get to follow the various models and make a better choice.

To which i will add a user replaceable battery increases your chances of recovering a bricked device. Is a user replaceable battery really that necessary ?
You are first telling it, and then asking the same question? Rest of the post also has this confusion - at times it is difficult to fathom whether you are asking or telling.

Otherwise, I feel you are making a mountain out of a molehill. One can say the same thing about typing :
1. Before typing, make sure keyboard is connected
2. Some keyboards have shift and enter key at confusing places. Make DOUBLY sure you do not hit enter instead of shift- it might have disastrous consequences.
3 ........

Most people just start typing - by watching before typing. More care is needed in some cases e.g. enter key sometimes Less in some others, e.g. when typing in this forum, I know most keys can be undone by pressing backspace. A particular sequence of tab and enter would post my half-typed reply, but I don't live in mortal fear of pressing that combination by mistake. Installing custom ROMs is the same way.

EDIT : Actually, the "recovery" software that people typically use for installing custom ROMs, makes one much more confident than if I had the default ROM. I recently gave my phone for repair - I deleted various files of various applications that I suspected could have sensitive information before handing over the phone. Those applications might have broken badly by doing that. When repair guy asked me about resetting the OS - I said just go ahead and do whatever you want with the software. Why? Because I can restore the complete OS - with all applications with their data, even cache intact using the recovery.

Typically such degree of backup is not possible with default device ROM - and if possible you have to use bloated windows only software that insists on updating itself by downloading hundreds of MBs every day.

And the vendor is a very powerful adversary given its their product to begin with
Again, taking a very grave view of the subject. Might have made sense in 2010, but not now. Adversary? HTC and Samsung have vowed to always keep an open bootloader. Sony publishes tool on its website to open bootloader , which works on most phones. If they were thinking themselves as "adversary", would they have done this?

Also, Samsung didn't sue Cyanogen, but gave him a job offer.

They've done this for the nexus 4, with the 4.3 update. People had to calibrate things themselves before using mods. It's better than it used to be. I hear battery life has also improved.

Unless you see the displays and hold the devices in your hand, nothing you read here counts for anything. Bear in mind the shop will not have an updated nexus 4 so it will look very washed out compared to the optimus g. Even the xperia will seem that way. I hear its got a screen enhancement update due soon too. What consumes the most battery ? the screen. That's what you spend looking at the most. How important is a good screen for usability.

But there is the lack of SD card, so that's another factor to juggle.

If its between the optimus g vs the nexus 4, then @acerulz would be the person to ask.

You said nov, wait till then, the note 3 will be out in sept, and possibly the optimus G2 in Oct. Meanwhile its rumoured that Sony will bring out Honami by that time too. Yeah, they like to make it as difficult as possible to make your mind up isn't it :)

There is something that i find odd in the way LG staggered releases of the optimus G. It came out in the US in Sept last year, we only got to see it in March over here. The other thing is they release the SD card version there and a no sd version here. Strange.

Your 20-25 budget limitation isn't a real barrier. How hard is to raise 25-50% more by Nov plus you get to follow the various models and make a better choice.

yeah better wait for G2 imho , as no point in buying any overpriced phones atm , hopefully new nexus also releases sooner , need to get my hands on nexus and G2 for sure :D

You are first telling it, and then asking the same question?
Does a model with a non-user replaceable battery have less chances of recovering from a brick than one that has a battery ?

Rest of the post also has this confusion - at times it is difficult to fathom whether you are asking or telling.
Read it again then. Your post deals with just the first para.

Otherwise, I feel you are making a mountain out of a molehill. One can say the same thing about typing :
1. Before typing, make sure keyboard is connected
2. Some keyboards have shift and enter key at confusing places. Make DOUBLY sure you do not hit enter instead of shift- it might have disastrous consequences.
3 ........

Most people just start typing - by watching before typing. More care is needed in some cases e.g. enter key sometimes Less in some others, e.g. when typing in this forum, I know most keys can be undone by pressing backspace. A particular sequence of tab and enter would post my half-typed reply, but I don't live in mortal fear of pressing that combination by mistake. Installing custom ROMs is the same way.

EDIT : Actually, the "recovery" software that people typically use for installing custom ROMs, makes one much more confident than if I had the default ROM. I recently gave my phone for repair - I deleted various files of various applications that I suspected could have sensitive information before handing over the phone. Those applications might have broken badly by doing that. When repair guy asked me about resetting the OS - I said just go ahead and do whatever you want with the software. Why? Because I can restore the complete OS - with all applications with their data, even cache intact using the recovery.

Typically such degree of backup is not possible with default device ROM - and if possible you have to use bloated windows only software that insists on updating itself by downloading hundreds of MBs every day.
Not worried about flashing, am talking getting a phone whose chances of being supported by 3rd party are better than otherwise. Increasing the chances that future 3rd party upgrades will work in case of getting dumped by the vendor.

Again, taking a very grave view of the subject. Might have made sense in 2010, but not now. Adversary? HTC and Samsung have vowed to always keep an open bootloader. Sony publishes tool on its website to open bootloader , which works on most phones. If they were thinking themselves as "adversary", would they have done this?

Also, Samsung didn't sue Cyanogen, but gave him a job offer.
Samsung will not release drivers for exynos, unlike qualcomm with the snapdragon. i'd have picked up an S4 without much thinking otherwise. I've been forced to look at qualcomm offerings as a result.

Lots of stable CM builds for snapdragon models, only nightlies for exynos S4, 10.1 Note or Note 2. That is the ones we can buy here as opposed to importing from abroad.

@vivek see the only difference between S3 models.

S3 i9300 - 1GB RAM
S3 i9305 - 2GB RAM

Curiously enough, the samsung S3 specs page neglects to say anything about RAM, have to rely on gsm arena for that info.

US carriers opted for the 2GB RAM model, whereas we got the 1 GB model.

There there is this gem from XDA

2Gb ram and very little development against 1Gb ram and lots of development .
:banghead:

Another thing I wanted to mention was the difference in physical dimensions between the optimus G E970 vs optimus G E975. Whether this implies slight difference in screen size is unclear.

Crack the case and you will have to import it from abroad as it doubtful LG india will have that shell. The E975 is more similar in dimesnsions to the sprint model.

Back