Need a wireless router for cable internet

alto

Disciple
Hello everyone,
I need a wireless router for cable internet. It should work in 2 floors and around 800 sqft each floor. Please suggest me a good router. Router would be placed in ground floor and should work wirelessly in 1st floor too. Is a budget of max 2k enough? Does not need too much lan ports. 2 wud be enough.

Thanks in advance.

What is the best price of this router and where to buy from ? And does the torrenting work as advertised and it seeds properly ?
No the download master is extremely buggy and sometimes doesnt resume.
There is one topic started by dinjo.
There is stepwise method how to flash with ddwrt and install torrent downloader..
Its for 2200@ flipkart check hot deals section :)

Hello everyone,
I need a wireless router for cable internet. It should work in 2 floors and around 800 sqft each floor. Please suggest me a good router. Router would be placed in ground floor and should work wirelessly in 1st floor too. Is a budget of max 2k enough? Does not need too much lan ports. 2 wud be enough.

Thanks in advance.

Put up a floor plan, indicating where the router will be placed and the parts where reception is needed. Indicate clearly on the diagram the distances involved and the thickness of walls in between (6 inches or 11 inches).

Do you already have in your possession any other wireless router or will this be your first ?

What is the best price of this router and where to buy from ? And does the torrenting work as advertised and it seeds properly ?

The best thing about this router is the range it offers for the asking price. That is provided your requirements fall within the range. One room yes, possibly two rooms away. The most common use here is for torrenting but dd-wrt offers over a thousand packages to play with. So the possibilty of more features is there should you want to try.

The torrenting works but @vivek went in for a go flex because it was better suited for the job. Offloading the processing to another unit. When more clients connect to the router its better to seperate functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put up a floor plan, indicating where the router will be placed and the parts where reception is needed. Indicate clearly on the diagram the distances involved and the thickness of walls in between (6 inches or 11 inches).

Do you already have in your possession any other wireless router or will this be your first ?

Currently I have no wireless router? and my very less knowledge in this. Router will be placed in one corner room in ground floor and want it to be accessible in 1 st floor mostly every where.

Router will be placed in one corner room in ground floor and want it to be accessible in 1 st floor mostly every where.
Put up a floor plan and indicate distances between router and max extent desired.

Nobody knows what your house looks like so we are all blind here.

Put up a floor plan and indicate distances between router and max extent desired.

Nobody knows what your house looks like so we are all blind here.

30 ft in distance horizontally from where the router will be placed and vertically 14 ft. Resultant distance max 35 to 40ft is required.

Yes - with DD-WRT and big torrent file hashing I had issues with the router - so went with the GoFlex Home. Also, if you want better speeds on LAN - GFH is more suited to this task. My N13 still runs DD-WRT, prefer it over stock ASUS.

The N13 is a marvelous device - and I was planning to leave it for the 3600 - till @blr_p said that my choice was poor and I stuck to my existing setup - atleast till I have more 5GHz devices.

To complete the N13 package - A gigabit switch is recommended if you have GbE devices. Wont have much effect on WiFi speeds though - mainly on wired devices.

@OP please put up a floor plan with walls - would be easier to make a decision.[DOUBLEPOST=1373994292][/DOUBLEPOST]Another point to note - if the distances seem too much for a single router - purchase a pair of 740Ns since you do not need the torrenting facilty and configure one as a WDS repeater.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 wall max of 5 inch. my concern is to be able to access at different floor for which the wave needs to go through concrete roof.

Mention what applications you will be using. You did not say anything about that.

Is it just internet browsing, viewing photos/movies what ?

What kind of clients will be accessing wifi ? mobiles, laptops, other ? How many clients ?

Until you answer the above and put up a floor plan its impossible to tell what router you need.

Going through one concrete roof is easy as in client is directly above the router. When client is one or two rooms away then things get a little less clear. 5 inch walls is unusual normally they would be 6 inches but thats better than 11 inch. You will get more range.

Yes - with DD-WRT and big torrent file hashing I had issues with the router - so went with the GoFlex Home. Also, if you want better speeds on LAN - GFH is more suited to this task. My N13 still runs DD-WRT, prefer it over stock ASUS.
How is the package selection on GFH compared to that on dd-wrt ? Is it the same ones you can use with GFH as well ?

Removing the requirement for dd-wrt on the router means you can get better quality routers. Leaving all those custom program jobs to the GFH. If the requirement for d-wrt along with its packages can be seperated from the router purchase decision then you get the best of both worlds.

New routers come out every year and for 3rd party fw to keep up is difficult and can be buggy and incomplete. If the platform were more stable then the quality of the packages can improve much faster.

let the routers concentrate on just routing and low powered computing devices can do the rest.

How is the package selection on GFH compared to that on dd-wrt ? Is it the same ones you can use with GFH as well ?

Removing the requirement for dd-wrt on the router means you can get better quality routers. Leaving all those custom program jobs to the GFH. If the requirement for d-wrt along with its packages can be seperated from the router purchase decision then you get the best of both worlds.

New routers come out every year and for 3rd party fw to keep up is difficult and can be buggy and incomplete. If the platform were more stable then the quality of the packages can improve much faster.

let the routers concentrate on just routing and low powered computing devices can do the rest.

On the stock OS - not so great, you can install pyLoad (which I have not done) and Transmission (which varkey did for me)+other optware stuff like DD-WRT (not tested), thats it. But its OK for my needs. There is no issue with the optware part.

Other optware stuff is the same as on dd-wrt.

This means you DO have access to as many packages availiable on GFH as with DD-wrt :)

Mention what applications you will be using. You did not say anything about that.

Is it just internet browsing, viewing photos/movies what ?

What kind of clients will be accessing wifi ? mobiles, laptops, other ? How many clients ?

Until you answer the above and put up a floor plan its impossible to tell what router you need.

Going through one concrete roof is easy as in client is directly above the router. When client is one or two rooms away then things get a little less clear. 5 inch walls is unusual normally they would be 6 inches but thats better than 11 inch. You will get more range.

mainly internet browsing through mobile/tablet and some casual downloading like apps etc., 1 computer will be attached through wired LAN. So at most 2 wireless connectivity is required. No heavy downloading through wireless.

Back