Need advice b/w ipad air 4 vs laptop

Mukeshmeena

Disciple
Tell me what should I go for. As initially laptops are good but later they start becoming slow. And ipads never used it. Need just for watching study videos lectures pdfs. Test series.

I use both for my work. If the use case is limited to content consumption, lectures, etc. Stick to a laptop.

Laptop over iPad.
It Runs stuff way more than iPads.
You can add more RAM/Storage and extend its life.
Better connectivity for devices, no need to invest in keyboard, docks, etc

iPad over a laptop.
Far more portable, you can use it on a plane or a lounge chair, or just about anywhere.
Longer battery.
Great for content creation.

While an ipad will remain free of slowdowns for a much longer period, it is not a replacement for a PC.
Even if your use case is limited now, you will need access to a PC once in while for things that are otherwise not possible/ too cumbersome on a tablet.

If you have a spare PC (even a slow and basic one), you can get away with an ipad
but if the choice is to have 1 machine only - then get a laptop

Have been using an iPad and a laptop for studies from theast 5yrs or so and an iPad is in no way a replacement for a laptop. I use my iPad (Air 2) solely for annotationg PDFs and sometimes attending lectures, but it's no good for actual productivity (typing documents and multitasking mainly) without a keyboard case, at which point there's no good reason to not get a laptop.

Plus with a laptop, you have far more flexibility and customization in th way you'd want your workflow to be, and won't be locked in to the apple store to get apps.

In short, and iPad is good as a complementary learning tool for education, but having an actual computer is still a necessity for most - for eg, spreadsheets are absolutely a nightmare on iPad.

While an ipad will remain free of slowdowns for a much longer period, it is not a replacement for a PC.
Even if your use case is limited now, you will need access to a PC once in while for things that are otherwise not possible/ too cumbersome on a tablet.

If you have a spare PC (even a slow and basic one), you can get away with an ipad
but if the choice is to have 1 machine only - then get a laptop
I have a small basic PC. And all are my videos (lectures) are in it. But mobile displays is too small. I don't like watching videos in mobile. I am thinking to sell my 1 tB external HDD and get Samsung's t7 500 gb. Which is able to get connected in ipad (saw some videos) . So going for ipad will be good ??? And is pencil necessary to buy if you own an iPad

I have a small basic PC. And all are my videos (lectures) are in it. But mobile displays is too small. I don't like watching videos in mobile. I am thinking to sell my 1 tB external HDD and get Samsung's t7 500 gb. Which is able to get connected in ipad (saw some videos) . So going for ipad will be good ??? And is pencil necessary to buy if you own an iPad
Are you planning to get one of the USB ipads ? Ie the iPad air (USB c) or pro (thunderbolt)?

Both work quite well with external drives.

Edit: ignore, just noticed you are looking at the iPad air 4

Pencil is not really needed unless you do a lot of annotations or enjoy taking handwritten notes...
The keyboard folio (not magic keyboard which is a lot more expensive) is actually a much more useful accessory as it barely adds to the size but is far more convenient than the on screen keyboard.. And thus makes the iPad a lot more viable laptop replacement than otherwise

Last edited:
In engineering I used to use a cheap Pentium Quad Core laptop along with an iPad Air 2. Like other's said don't think of iPad as a laptop replacement. It's very good for media consumption, reading, annotating PDF's and beats Android tablets cause of the whole optimized ecosystem.

In engineering I used to use a cheap Pentium Quad Core laptop along with an iPad Air 2. Like other's said don't think of iPad as a laptop replacement. It's very good for media consumption, reading, annotating PDF's and beats Android tablets cause of the whole optimized ecosystem.
Will buy from Apple online store with students offer whic is giving free airpods too

Back