Need advice : Extend home network via cable routing externally : Cable recommendation

mk76

Adept
Tired of wifi extender issues, I intend to extend the network via lan cable. Have n66u as main router. A spare n13u will serve as extender. Only that wire has to be routed from outside the house. (25 m cable needed)

Which weather proof cable to use ? Shall I also use a 1/4" pvc pipe as enclosure ?

Works in India, depends on wiring - means ???

I mean like say if the wiring is haphazard or something it won't work. Honestly I don't know how to put it. But if it works, well, that is great thing. So you just plug it in the outlet in one room where the main router is and then another adapter in another room where you require another router and then connect LAN cable to the routers and powerline adapters separately right ?

I mean like say if the wiring is haphazard or something it won't work. Honestly I don't know how to put it. But if it works, well, that is great thing. So you just plug it in the outlet in one room where the main router is and then another adapter in another room where you require another router and then connect LAN cable to the routers and powerline adapters separately right ?
My bldg is 30 yrs old (3 phase) and it worked fine without issues.
It's not recommended to use them with spike Buster's and such extension wires.
Yes, one goes where your main router is and another goes to electric outlet where you require LAN. There are wifi models available too. ( Lan+wifi) so it can act as repeater so you don't need another router in that room.
But be sure to get gigaport and 1000mbps.
I am planning to make a GO shortly to buy a few pairs from usa. Will update you .

Powerline adapters add latency and are nowhere close to wired performance.
For a Point-to-point connection, wired>5ghz>powerline>2.4ghz
- if you have the option to pull a cable, that’s your best bet.

25m is a short run and the basic CAT6 from D-link (whichis readily available) should comfortably do the trick.

I had to use multiple outdoor runs for my house - i tried to find outdoor rated cables but they were hard to source so I had to use regular cable (without pvc conduit)
However this has has been working fine for 5+ years now

Yes, one goes where your main router is and another goes to electric outlet where you require LAN. There are wifi models available too. ( Lan+wifi) so it can act as repeater so you don't need another router in that room.
I am planning to make a GO shortly to buy a few pairs from usa. Will update you .

So, If I connect the router end to say phase 1 socket and another powerline adapter to phase 2 or 3 will I be able to get the network working?

What is apprx cost for a decent pair ? I see arnd 5k for TP link on Amazon.

Guess, for my case (with 2 routers in hand ) running a point-2-point cable will be more economical
Post automatically merged:

Powerline adapters add latency and are nowhere close to wired performance.
For a Point-to-point connection, wired>5ghz>powerline>2.4ghz
- if you have the option to pull a cable, that’s your best bet.

25m is a short run and the basic CAT6 from D-link (whichis readily available) should comfortably do the trick.

I had to use multiple outdoor runs for my house - i tried to find outdoor rated cables but they were hard to source so I had to use regular cable (without pvc conduit)
However this has has been working fine for 5+ years now

I too am finding it hard to locate cables with hard PVC jacket. Will get the regular ones. What is your lan throughput ? Any noise/interference ?

Last edited:
What is apprx cost for a decent pair ? I see arnd 5k for TP link on Amazon.

Guess, for my case (with 2 routers in hand ) running a point-2-point cable will be more economical

I too am finding it hard to locate cables with hard PVC jacket. Will get the regular ones. What is your lan throughput ? Any noise/interference ?
Gbe link speed - 900 mbps + throughput .
Normal cable will get brittle after few years - I will probably need to change the cables now but not complaining given they cost peanuts and survived this long

If you are interested in power line pair, i have a spare set lying although I would still advise wired

Yes poweline adapter adds latency. I have been using TP-Link ONE AV200 starter kit 200 Mbps from past 3 years. It's a hit n miss thing. I get around 10 Mbps during day time and 30 Mbps throughput during night time.
This is entirely depends on house wiring. My house wiring is from 80s. So that could be the reason. But it serves the purpose for me as I have only 8 Mbps Bsnl connection and DVR cam setup.

So your best bet is cat6 as suggested by czar. And yes it will get brittle after few years but it will work just fine. My 7 year old cat 5 cable from BSNL DP to my home around 45 mtr. still running fine.

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Have got D-Link cat6 cable for Rs 17 per m . It's a utp cable. Have crimped and tested. Have set n13u as AP. Will get it installed in a day

Unfortunately my broadband was having some trouble yesterday... So could not verify Max throughput.

I have a few lines running, but they are 8wire un-twisted (straight) telephone wires not CAT 5. They are point to point. Like one end on 1st floor, 2nd end on second floor. I tried connecting these using a keystone jack and only get 10Mbps :( Is there anyway I can get atleast 100mbps or Gigabit on this?
It was the electricians mistake, he got 8 wire cable instead of CAT cable a decade and half ago :|

Would powerline work on this? Since it doesnt carry power i am doubtful.

I have a few lines running, but they are 8wire un-twisted (straight) telephone wires not CAT 5. They are point to point. Like one end on 1st floor, 2nd end on second floor. I tried connecting these using a keystone jack and only get 10Mbps :( Is there anyway I can get atleast 100mbps or Gigabit on this?
It was the electricians mistake, he got 8 wire cable instead of CAT cable a decade and half ago :|

No, those phone cables are pretty much useless
I was able to get 100mbps off some of those pairs while 10 on some
I eventually ended up getting an Orbi - 1300 mbps stable wireless backhaul with 900-1000 on wired clients and 700+ for wireless clients nearby.

Powerline won't work because the devices pull 220V power off the same line and there's no way should feed 220 V into those cables just to power up the devices

The CAT6 cables are quite cheap. One guy offered 30m for 200 /- for a local brand. I opted for Dlink costing 500 bucks.

Had to crimp + install myself.

No, those phone cables are pretty much useless
I was able to get 100mbps off some of those pairs while 10 on some
I eventually ended up getting an Orbi - 1300 mbps stable wireless backhaul with 900-1000 on wired clients and 700+ for wireless clients nearby.

Powerline won't work because the devices pull 220V power off the same line and there's no way should feed 220 V into those cables just to power up the devices
Yeah that makes sense. I didnt want to go for wifi since we have an appartment behind and a lot of wifis there and noise as a result.

The CAT6 cables are quite cheap. One guy offered 30m for 200 /- for a local brand. I opted for Dlink costing 500 bucks.

Had to crimp + install myself.
I've brought and crimped cables since last 5 yrs. Problem is not cost. The problem is running the cable again openly or drilling holes. I dont want to do either. :(

Will just have to go with an outer run if all fails.

I've brought and crimped cables since last 5 yrs. Problem is not cost. The problem is running the cable again openly or drilling holes. I dont want to do either. :(

I too faced that dilemma.

Anyways I'm facing a peculiar issue.
N13U is set as AP. It worked fine for one day but today it hanged the network. Looks like an old issue (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n13u-rev-1b-as-access-point-hangs-network.16172/). Appreciate any suggestions.

Yeah that makes sense. I didnt want to go for wifi since we have an appartment behind and a lot of wifis there and noise as a result.

Triband mesh have a dedicated backhaul on 5ghz - very very unlikely you will see any performance deterioration because of noise.
My wire runs are all external - I had to get the orbi to get 1000mbps access to two points in the house where I couldn't run wire internally because of aesthetic considerations

Triband mesh have a dedicated backhaul on 5ghz - very very unlikely you will see any performance deterioration because of noise.
My wire runs are all external - I had to get the orbi to get 1000mbps access to two points in the house where I couldn't run wire internally because of aesthetic considerations
What about degradation due to being on different floors? Main one on 1st and rest on 2nd and 3rd ?

Last edited:
What about degradation due to being on different floors? Main one on 1st and rest on 2nd and 3rd ?
it depends on the location
in my case, primary and 1 satellite are on ground and 2nd sat on 1st
the ground sat reports between 1000-1300 mbps while the 1st sat reports 1300 steady

(the 1st floor sat is pretty much directly above the ground flr primary)

One thing to note - the India Orbi (as well as any other new router) are region locked to India and the 5ghz tx power in India is capped severely due to regulatory compliance requirements.
I had to change region to global via telnet and bump up the 5ghz band tx power that considerably improved both backhaul and fronthaul speeds

Back