Need advice for 5.1 home theatre system

Called a few of their distributors

Possibly wrong and an unreliable source of information if I may add because Logitech had released it earlier last year and there's no way it can go EOL this soon. Nor have they listed it as discontinued on their website.

Friends,

Can you please suggest me a 5.1 active speaker system....basically what are the options alongside the logitech Z906.

Budget :15K...may be able to extend to 20K

Usage : mostly movies. Casual gaming (PS3).

Source : PS3, Media player

I have shortlisted following systems:

Philips HTS 3541.....good on connectivity, low on sound..only 300 w

Philips HTS 5520.....Ok on connectivity, big on sound....850 w

Logitech Z906....?????? how is it for movies? is 500w enough sound? unfortunately there is no place I can audition these here in Ahmedabad.

Do I have any more options????

not concentrating on DVD player / Blu ray player. so only speaker system is also fine with me.

btw, those who have gone to reliance digital, have you checked out reliance's brand "reconnect" speaker system? any views?

The perceived loudness varies logarithmically with the output RMS power. Which means 80W/300W/850W does not say anything about the loudness of the system. So do not merely go by the RMS wattage indicated on the boxes.

The HTS 3541 is an excellent all round system going by the specs, which also bundles a blu-ray player within the 15k price tag. Offers 2 aux. digital inputs so you could plug your PC/media player/game console to the receiver and decode the AC3/DTS signals. I am betting the retail pricing is slightly lower than the MRP. The receiver also has a USB port which reads media of several formats - .mkv included. Haven't heard the system in person so cannot comment on the SQ.

The Z906 offers 3 digital inputs but reviews pitting it against its predecessor the Z5500 suggests that the SQ is a notch lower. Haven't read many reviews so you could do that and conclude it yourself. There was an offer on eBay DOTW where this system was sold for 13.5k odd. It seemed VFM.

I saw this one during the week-end in a nearby store. Looks excellent in all aspects for an ameteur viewer/listener like me. I had a doubt if it will work seamlessly with latest Sony X-Reality TVs and also if it will play older ACDs and VCDs. Called up Philips to know there should not be any issues except additional cables I would need for connecting to LED (they said Philips Technician will help on this during installation).

If any of you have furtehr comments on my connectivity needs, pls. reply.

Since I have got rid of all older DVD and Sound systems, I wanted a compact Bluray player plus a 2.1 or 5.1 sound box. After seeing this believe this is ideal one for me to go, may buy in the next couple of days.

Thanks...

Badri, Bangalore

@bnarayan0

off course It will work with latest TV and there shouldn't be any additional cables required. You only need HDMI cable to connect it to TV and that also comes free with it
bye22.gif
You can also connect it to CRT tv by A/V cables. It has blu ray player so it should read all the older formats in addition to blu ray. You can test your CDs/DVDs in nearby store to be sure.

@saurabh:

hi...I got busy in the last few months and could not buy the Phillips HTS 3541 which I had asked you about.

Today I finally managed to go to buy but unfortunately it was out of stock!

However, the salesman did raise a few queries in my mind:

1. The Blu-ray player will be region specific ane wont play American or other region Disks. Have you tried playing any Blu-ray disk? Pirated or from another region?

2. What is the size of the room in which you have installed the system?

3. And is the sound output of dialogues in English movies sufficient when the volume is at 40 or do you have to go higher than 50. And in general are dialogues audible?

4. Did you extend the wires? If yes, then how and is it easy?

5. The set does not come with speaker stands. How have you put the speakers? On Screws?

In my opinion the sound is not thumping enough.

After purchasing did you find anything which you did not like?

Thanks a lot in advance.

@gala2006

hey no prob. here are answeres of your questions.

1) Well I play movies through usb so haven't tried any blu ray yet
<
But from what I know, there are region free discs (mostly pirated) which can be played anywhere. And there is region code lock to every blu ray player of any brand. For some, cracks are available which remove region code so that you can play disc from any region. If you are going to purchase blu ray, most likely you will purchase it from india so no issues there.

2) Room size is medium. dont know exact size. But roughly around 12x10

3) Dialogues are not clearly audible. In some movies they are so low that I can't hear them. I tried many settings but that did not help much. I do not increase sound more than 35 as other sounds and music become too loud. But I guess this problem exits for many htib. But finally I found a solution which I will explain later in detail. And this problem is for movies only. I can hear speach clearly when I give tv input to it or play music.

4) Yes I had to add additional wire, as rear speaker's wire length is not enough. you can get 'speaker wire' in any electrical store. It is different than normal electrical wire and its not expensive.

5) I have put speakers on cut glass platforms and screwed them in the wall with the help of brackets. It dosen't cost much and looks good. I can upload some pics if you want.

I would suggest that you hear it by yourself before deciding about loudness. It is loud enough actually more than enough if you live in apartment. If you live in bunglow and have a very big room then its another case. I don't increase sound more than halfway. also I had to reduce bass output. Finally I am very happy to have this htib. Except the 'low speech volume' problem, I did not find any other problem. It is bang for buck at this price.

Hi Saurabh,

First of all, thanks for creating this thread and bringing to notice such a wonderful package.

I like to buy this one, but could you explain how you fixed the "Dialogue Problem"...

It will help me in deciding to buy this one...

Cheers!!!!

@mac4rfree

You are welcome! Well my solution is simple. Turn on TV speakers too
happy19.gif
What I learned that low frequency sonds are missed by speakers and medium to high frequency sounds are played well. thats why I wasn't able to hear dialogues clearly but music and other sounds were loud. When played through only TV, exactly opposite used to happen. Dialogues were clearly audible and other sounds were like flat. I somehow found a way to combine these two. Read the step by step instructions below for easy understanding.

1) Turn on audio transfer to tv through an option in hts

2) Its not done yet. when hts and tv both are playing same sound, there is audio lag between the two. TV lags behind hts in audio. for that you have to delay hts output through an option. I dont know if other hts also have this option but philips has it. You can delay sound by some miliseconds. choose a value that will match with tv. Sound lag creates an echo effect. choose a value such that echo effect is elimininated/not noticable. I chose 80ms.

3) Enjoy. Now dialogues and other sounds both are clearly audible. It depends on your tv. if it plays all low frequency sounds well then this will work. But I think it will work with most tvs.

^^Really not a good solution. Atleast not from a purist's POV
<

Try to get the central speaker quite near to you. I don't know how you have set up your speaker, but you can have the Front L - R speakers attached to the wall and have the speaker 1-2 feet forward. This might help.

I also have this problem sometime with my z906, but then I increase the volume of the Central speaker and the problem goes away.

^^^ well i didn't had any option left. I tried 'night mode', increasing center speaker volume. but it did not work. Night mode has no noticable effect at all, whether on/off. I have wall mounted the tv and speakers. center speaker is just below the tv. I sit at approx 12ft from tv. I dont think moving center speaker a feet or two forward will work. moreover it will look bad. It may not be good solution for purist but anyways he will by a high end system which will not have this issue. It actually sounds good. Also you have control over speech and other sounds. So you can adjust them separately as per your liking.

@saurabh:

Finally managed to get the system!

I am now a proud owner of the Philips HTS 3541/51 Home theatre system!

I have unboxed it...and my first impression is that the system is great.

Thanks for all the guidance which you had given.

I want to now whether you used any specific quality speaker wire like 32/40 etc to extend your wires? Also, did u solder the wires or just intertwine them and tape it?

Also, i am planning to put all the speakers at the topmost point of the ceiling...where have u put them? and at what angle?

I have read that fron left right speakers have to be installed at hearing level and back speakers at higher level...is that correct?

Thanks.

@saurabh:

Finally managed to get the system!

I am now a proud owner of the Philips HTS 3541/51 Home theatre system!

I have unboxed it...and my first impression is that the system is great.

Thanks for all the guidance which you had given.

I want to now whether you used any specific quality speaker wire like 32/40 etc to extend your wires? Also, did u solder the wires or just intertwine them and tape it?

Also, i am planning to put all the speakers at the topmost point of the ceiling...where have u put them? and at what angle?

I have read that fron left right speakers have to be installed at hearing level and back speakers at higher level...is that correct?

Thanks.

Congrats. How much they cost you?

You can tape them or solder up to you. Wouldn't make a difference.

Make sure the speakers point to where the people sit, they should not be parallel to the floor me thinks.

Ear height is best generally.

@gala2006

Congrats for the new hts!! & u r welcome!

I have just inter wined the wires, taped them and routed the wires through casing. At each speaker end, I have added one more joint of male female connector (u can get them in any electronics store) It is not necessary but I have done it for easy removal of speakers. I have just bought speaker wire. I don't know about their quality. But you need not buy expensive one. I bought it for around 15rs/meter. Speaker wires are thin and transparent. It has two separate wires in it. One of them is marked with some color (black/red). Make sure to connect marked wires to each other.

Reg speaker placement, please see below link

http://www.dolby.com...uide/index.html

also refer to other sites and forums. From what I read, front left and right speakers should be min 1m away from tv and at your ear level considering sitting height . center speaker should be at center. you can place it above or below the tv. Sub woofer should be kept 1-2 meters away from tv either left or right. Make sure no object is present in front of woofer. Rear speakers should be placed above 1-2 feet of your ear level and equidistant from from sitting position. You are right about the front and rear L & R speaker position. Just turn the speakers at such angle, that their lines intersect at point where you sit. In simple words just turn them towards your ears.

Congrats. How much they cost you?

You can tape them or solder up to you. Wouldn't make a difference.

Make sure the speakers point to where the people sit, they should not be parallel to the floor me thinks.

Ear height is best generally.

@mjumrani:

Thanks a lot!

I got the system for Rs. 12,400 !

Thanks for the information...appreciate it.

@gala2006

Congrats for the new hts!! & u r welcome!

I have just inter wined the wires, taped them and routed the wires through casing. At each speaker end, I have added one more joint of male female connector (u can get them in any electronics store) It is not necessary but I have done it for easy removal of speakers. I have just bought speaker wire. I don't know about their quality. But you need not buy expensive one. I bought it for around 15rs/meter. Speaker wires are thin and transparent. It has two separate wires in it. One of them is marked with some color (black/red). Make sure to connect marked wires to each other.

Reg speaker placement, please see below link

http://www.dolby.com...uide/index.html

also refer to other sites and forums. From what I read, front left and right speakers should be min 1m away from tv and at your ear level considering sitting height . center speaker should be at center. you can place it above or below the tv. Sub woofer should be kept 1-2 meters away from tv either left or right. Make sure no object is present in front of woofer. Rear speakers should be placed above 1-2 feet of your ear level and equidistant from from sitting position. You are right about the front and rear L & R speaker position. Just turn the speakers at such angle, that their lines intersect at point where you sit. In simple words just turn them towards your ears.

@saurabh:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Btw...the idea to have male female connectors at the speaker end is excellent. Great in terms of ease in removing just the speakers instead of complete wiring which would be impractical.

<

@gala2006

You are welcome
<
The idea of male female connector was suggested by my uncle. He has sony hts. It has provision to remove wire at speaker end unlike philips where wire is permanently attached to speaker. I don't know whether all sony hts have this provision but it is good feature. Btw do remember to post your views about hts after installation.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. What brought me here was a google search on Philips HTS3541/51[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] . Well I need some help on the LG HT 856 model. [/font]http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/home-theater-system/LG-HT856.jsp.

@Saurabh: Have u had a chance of listening to this piece from LG. Can u help me by giving your perspective on this?

My room size is 10X11 and I have a 40 inch Samsung wall mounted LCD and would like to use this HT for Movie and Music.

Thanks

Sagar

@sagar

I haven't listened to this system. But one of the forum members 'geakhead83' has bought exactly the same hts (see first page of this thread). You can ask him to post a review. you can also look models with less sound output as your room is not big. It will cost you less. Have you finalized this model?

@sagar

I haven't listened to this system. But one of the forum members 'geakhead83' has bought exactly the same hts (see first page of this thread). You can ask him to post a review. you can also look models with less sound output as your room is not big. It will cost you less. Have you finalized this model?

No Saurav. I havent finalized it yet. I have zeroed in on the two above models (Philips or LG).

Back