Audio Need advice for a good home theater speaker system

Oli

Disciple
Mar 3, 2009
34sjzgx.jpg
wmdlk4.jpg

Hi TE members,
I just wanted some advice on purchasing a good speaker system for my room.
I have a 42" LCD (LG Jazz), a LG dvd player with HDMI output. I have a Xbox 360 , I use the hdmi interface for sound and video. I've also attached my PC to the same LCD via the 2nd HDMI input on the LCD.

So basically, I want a sound system that can connect all of these together and give superb all round sound for games (gears of war, halo etc), movies and music. The home theater should have multiple inputs for hdmi (I like the hdmi interface because there is only one wire from one device, and the quality is also awesome), so that I can easily switch between these devices.

I saw a Yamaha 5.1, not sure what the model no was (but it had 2 hdmi in's) and sounded reasonably good.
I wonder whether the creative gigaworks 7.1 would really fit into this environment (because I've not seen the connectivity specs i.e. the inputs, hdmi or not etc) but I heard that this is one hell of a speaker system (although its only meant for pc's)
I also felt that none of the Philips high end/ Sony (i.e. around 20 grand or more) have any inputs that can accomodate all of my devices.

Is it also true that THX certified home theatre's sound better?

I googled 'best home theatre systems' but did not get much help.

So I hope to get a few inputs from you guys, will surely help me in making a good decision. I know the Bose's are good, but I do not have the money to buy that;)

rob2651983

Disciple
Mar 7, 2009
If u are looking for the best bang for buck, then go for the Logitech z5500 ....eyes closed. It has a plethora of connectivity options (coaxial, optical, 6 cannel direct etc), excellent sound and comes at around 17k plus THX certified. I was lucky, got it from e-bay for arnd 15k. Good luck.

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
Can you specify your budget range? What city you are located in. Room dimensions, speaker size preferences etc?

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.
Z5500 (though i have not heard it myself but a lot of people say it is the best.) Since u have a high-end config (TV etc) u can look into dedicated amp and speaker system. Brands like Marantz/Sonodyne etc are high end and expensive. Audiphiles swear by them... another brands: Denon, Jamo, Nakamichi.

Aug 29, 2009
your budget obviously will have the last say but, and i can vouch for this that nothing can beat a proper home theatre system. i.e, an amplifier, a 5.1 or 7.1 system. As good as the Z5500 are, they dont beat HT from onkyo or jbl assuming you are looking for a 30-50k range system.

I was in a similar dilemma some yrs back whilst choosing between the z5500 which are comparatively cheaper then a proper HT system. Ended up choosing a denon amp and a onkyo HT-230. no regrets till date.

Dont go for creative.

Yamaha speakers aint good. Amp r decent though id say go for Denon or Marantz.

The thx certification does carry a lot of value.

Klipsch is another option you should look at though not sure of availability or models present in the indian market..

Also the price difference between the actual store and grey market is quiet significant. And by that i dont mean 2-3k but a lot lot more.. so do keep that into consideration before making your purchase...

Cheers

Aug 29, 2009
Also dont even consider those 15k 20k systems. If you have a ear for quality sound, you will clearly feel the difference.

anooj30299301

Disciple
Jan 14, 2008
Oli, ur budget is the key here.

I stay in HYD and happened to see and listen to Denon Ht 30 and among the HTIB's, I would say eyes closed, go for it. Period.

The subwoofer is huge and very powerful.

Check another forum, where u get readymade annswers.H... V....

the guy there said its for 38K but I guess memebers get at aroung 30-~32K. Please check.

Oli

Disciple
Mar 3, 2009
Let me say that I'm overwhelmed by the replies, I kept coming here for a day and no one had replied, but I just checked this post today, and found so many suggestions. Thanks for your time and effort!
Rockfella said:
Z5500 (though i have not heard it myself but a lot of people say it is the best.) Since u have a high-end config (TV etc) u can look into dedicated amp and speaker system. Brands like Marantz/Sonodyne etc are high end and expensive. Audiphiles swear by them... another brands: Denon, Jamo, Nakamichi.

I kind of agree with the views of the other members who say that nothing can beat a amplifier-5.1 combination. So I think I'll avoid the temptation of going in for the z5500

Doubleseven said:

Hmmm. Sounds like a good rate, have seen it for 18k at ezone.

edge111hussain said:
your budget obviously will have the last say but, and i can vouch for this that nothing can beat a proper home theatre system. i.e, an amplifier, a 5.1 or 7.1 system. As good as the Z5500 are, they dont beat HT from onkyo or jbl assuming you are looking for a 30-50k range system.
I was in a similar dilemma some yrs back whilst choosing between the z5500 which are comparatively cheaper then a proper HT system. Ended up choosing a denon amp and a onkyo HT-230. no regrets till date.

Dont go for creative.
Yamaha speakers aint good. Amp r decent though id say go for Denon or Marantz.
The thx certification does carry a lot of value.
Klipsch is another option you should look at though not sure of availability or models present in the indian market..

Also the price difference between the actual store and grey market is quiet significant. And by that i dont mean 2-3k but a lot lot more.. so do keep that into consideration before making your purchase...

Cheers

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I am willing to save but go for a good home theatre even if it costs me more than 30k. I've heard of the grey market too, but I've got to find dealers in Pune who do such stuff.

edge111hussain said:
Also dont even consider those 15k 20k systems. If you have a ear for quality sound, you will clearly feel the difference.

yup, I've put those thoughts aside, although the logitech z for 15k is very tempting, I wonder where I could get such a price

anooj30299301 said:
Oli, ur budget is the key here.

I stay in HYD and happened to see and listen to Denon Ht 30 and among the HTIB's, I would say eyes closed, go for it. Period.

The subwoofer is huge and very powerful.

Check another forum, where u get readymade annswers.H... V....

the guy there said its for 38K but I guess memebers get at aroung 30-~32K. Please check.

could you please pm me the details, I googled 'Denon Ht 30' but found virtually nothing. I'm crazy for powerful subwoofers. I will check hivi if that is what you meant by h...v...

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
Its Denon 390XP. Check the thread started by Gannu. He's looking for a similar system as yours.

Oli

Disciple
Mar 3, 2009
I know that sony is not very popular among guys who listen to stuff like denon, onkyo etc. Neither do I like it. But I just came across these sony models, and they look like one hell of a system:

What I liked is that it has 2 sub-woofers, even the tower speakers have a woofer like component within it, and it has an extra centre speaker to be placed at the rear.
But I may be wrong, as sony may not be able to live up to products made by denon, and all this show may be just for looks. Only people who have heard it will probably be able to comment on it.

Sony HT-DDW5500
6gjz9e.jpg

n34xw5.jpg

5x4dja.jpg

HT-DDW5500 : Home Theatre Component System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Anybody heard this? It looks promising, but looks aren't everything, gotta hear it
its around 45k, any cheaper deals?
I would like to listen to the denon dht - 390 as well, many audiophiles say its good.

Oli

Disciple
Mar 3, 2009
I just came across another of their products:p Sony ht-ddw8500. I mean, this is a 7.4 channel home theatre, how much bass could you possibly get! 4 woofers, 2 mini amps to control these woofers (one for 2 subs). Monster like tower speakers.Wonder what the sound output would be like:huh:

HT-DDW8500 : Home Theatre Component System : Home Theatre System : Sony Asia Pacific

o9h8ut.jpg

14n3huc.jpg

I'll go to the sony showroom when I have a holiday and take a demo of this.

Oli

Disciple
Mar 3, 2009
went to the sony showroom, they do not have the above product for a demo....duh...what a pity!

There is just another confusion....that of hdmi 1.3a pass thru and 1.3a repeater. As I mentioned, I want everything to be done in a single wire. I've read on various forums that if you have hdmi pass thru, you have to provide for the audio separately! that is to say, you have to either give a optical audio in, or 6x rca in (6wires, centre, left, right etc)......is this true? Because the xbox does not have a separate 5.1 out, the only 5.1 out is available through hdmi ( I may be wrong, I've not yet seen the rca cord for the xbox, I'm using the hdmi cable directly )