Need advice on buying a blackberry.

mjumrani

Skilled
Hey guys

I have decided to buy buy a BB as a lot of my friends have it, but I just need it for BBM and emails. I found the cost in vodafone is 300 for these services.

But how will I be sure that the unlocked BB that I get will work with the BB services from vodafone?

I've zeroed in on Storm 9530 as I want to keep my expenditure at a minimum while having the average smartphone features and since it has a touch screen it helps as I'll be using my iPhone 4 with it.

I don't know much about BBs so is it advisable to go ahead and get it or should I look into something else?

If I should buy it then from ebay.in, GEB, or ebay.com?

GEB links

Global Easy Buy

Global Easy Buy

Global Easy Buy

eBay.in links

eBay India: blackberry 9530 brand new cheapest on ebay+free gifts (item 250732829377 end time 26-Dec-2010 15:30:09 IST)

eBay India: Brand new Blackberry 9530 storm handset unlocked (item 230559122793 end time 03-Jan-2011 01:12:32 IST)

eBay India: Brand new Blackberry 9530 storm handset unlocked (item 250736999395 end time 03-Jan-2011 01:10:56 IST)

eBay.com links

RIM BLACKBERRY STORM 9530 *UNLOCKED* GSM PHONE - eBay (item 260700808540 end time Dec-09-10 22:26:53 PST)

Also, Can the phone be JB? And once I get a BB is there something I need to do besides calling vodafone to start using the services?

TIA :)

H2O said:
I don't understand, why would you need a BB if you already have an iPhone. :S

If its just about BBM why not get yourself and your friends Whatsapp ?
Because they are not installing Whatsapp messenger and a lot of people have blackberry.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

BB Unlocked will work fine. However, I suggest you keep away from BB Storm; it is generally a very sluggish machine with lots of problems reported. I would suggest get the Bold or Bold 2.

Recently Blackberry has Launched Bold 3 (BB 9780). It's comes with OS 6 preloaded and has 5MP 2x zoom Image Stablizer camera with led flash. It's available for Rs 27k in market. And don't go for touch screen Blackberry...typing on them is PITA.

Ill try getting Bold or Bold 2

Konquerror said:
Recently Blackberry has Launched Bold 3 (BB 9780). It's comes with OS 6 preloaded and has 5MP 2x zoom Image Stablizer camera with led flash. It's available for Rs 27k in market. And don't go for touch screen Blackberry...typing on them is PITA.

I need to keep the costs at a minimum.

YOu can go for BB curve 3g(9300). It's upgradable to OS6( I am using OS 6 right now over it)+3g.I bought it for 18k in September so chances are that it will be cheaper right now. I have not used iphone till now but what i feel ,if you have started using BB it very hard to move to others as it is so addictive( at least for me)

^ +1

If you want to keep costs minimum then BB 8520 is cheapest GSM Blackberry available...only difference between 9300 and 8520 is that 9300 has 3g while 8520 has only EDGE...it's available for Rs 11.7k in market...

go for the 8300 unlocked. It will work fine with any service provider but just make sure that it is a piece from redington (i do not think there are any others available though but planet m claim that a box that says vodafone on it can also support airtel - do not know how that works)
If u dont bother about 3g then go for the curve 8900 which is around 17k if i am not mistaken and is a really good phone.
STORM is very slow and hangs frequently and have no clue about the STORM 2, but have heard bad reviews about the touch screen on both phones.

I saw a few BBs today. Look and feature wise bold 2 is the best. But if I look at cost, surprisingly none of the phones make any sense when compared to 8520, because at best they look a little better, have 128mb more ram, 3.2mp vs 2mp cam, a flash, a front facing cam with 3G which is mostly useless. I can't even justify the difference of 15k between bold 2 and 8520. So I'm settling on 8520 unless there is good reason not to.

Now the question arises, where to buy the phone from? Options are

1. Vodafone store for 11.8k

2. A local shop like ezone/electronics for you, with 2 years extended warranty(provided by the shop) for 13.2k

eBay sites either cost the same or more. Only look at sellers with very good ratings.

Go for the local shop cause it will be a unlocked piece and if ever any other service provider comes out with a better plan for BB u can easily make a shift and not crib over it later for buyin a vodafone locked phone.
and moreover the 8900 does not have 3g yet i prefer if cause it is not common and the 8520 is very common u can now see it in the hands of any person.

Bolt is a good option,i would not go for storm,is not good at all,my friend has it,keeps on restarting and takes almost 10mins to start the damn phone again,just rejects Bluetooth files for no reason,and cant send files continuously even if paired device.

Back