Need Advice on DSLR

I suggest you use a DSLR either borrowed etc. Try to shortlist your preferred style of photography, and invest in lens accordingly. For eg, if you like a lot of low light shooting then it makes sense to buy fast lenses, I generally like the zoom on 18-55 kit lens, but I find the sharpness, and low light performance lacking and hence planning to invest in Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens etc... Telezoom lenses either get a fast lens (they are expensive) or get ones with Image stabilization technology built in...

Thnks for the links

m-jeri said:
Thnx for this suggestion dude...I am plannin on doing this till the d7000 is out commercially and we get full blown reviews. I have a friend in India who owns the D90 so will try that out also:)

Aces170 said:
I suggest you use a DSLR either borrowed etc. .

Don't bother with newer-the-better rat race. Ppl end up spending a fortune on stuff that they will never use. Assuming that ur a beginner, I wud say settle for the D90 with 18-200mm+ Sigma 10-20mm + 50mm f1.8 coupled with a decent manfrotto/vanguard tripod + lowepro/kata bag and u can take on any photographic situation with ease. More pixels is always the wrong criteria to buy a camera unless ur a professional making a living out of it. With the D7000, D90 will surely see a price drop. Grab it when u feel the moment is right.

You could also check out the Canon 60D. It's basically a derivative of the EOS 7D. If you can afford the 7D body, it's a brilliant body to work with. Canon has a better ecosystem of lenses for intermediate consumers IMO.

You could also check out the Canon 60D. It's basically a derivative of the EOS 7D. If you can afford the 7D body, it's a brilliant body to work with. Canon has a better ecosystem of lenses for intermediate consumers IMO.

Last I heard 60D, was a downgrade from 50D. I feel Nikon and Canon are on a pretty much on an even footing as far as range of lens go, although the newer Canon L glass is brilliant.

In what way? A non environment sealed body? Articulating LCD? Any camera that derives the 7Ds sensor and metering/focussing system will be excellent.
The 50D sucks at low light. Worse than the 40D, and the 30D. I give the D300S no more than a 10 per cent advantage in low light over the 7D, and with a 50 per cent larger resolution, that's saying a lot.
Extensively tested all these models BTW, excluding the D3100 and 60D of course.
The D7000 seems to be excellent on paper, but will wait till I use one.

Isnt low light photography dependent on lenses, unless ofcourse the high ISO performance is brilliant. I have used the 50D, and its an excellent body. I would give more importance to body casing then mere technical up-gradation, a magnesium alloy body makes a huge difference. And not to forget the customizations possible on a 50D but absent in 60D. A relatively small, but definitely not a moot point is a slower continuous shooting. Shooting wildlife, fast continuous shooting is a huge advantage, as getting the right picture is not easy.

Although 7D's AF system is to die for... 19 Cross focus modes, btw on technical specs the 60D's AF seems similar to 50D, can you elaborate how is different?

Edit: Even the sensor seems the same, an APS-C sensor, am I missing something?

^^ Actually the 60D only shares the sensor and metering. AF system is same as the old 50D.

Also the 50D is better than the 550D in low light performance.

Check out dpreviews RAW page - Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i Review: 14. Photographic tests (Noise): Digital Photography Review

The Canon 500D (same sensor as 50D) is better than the 550D.

Canon removed a lot of stuff from the 60D over the 50D.

- Plastic body (but only 50g lower than D7000 with magnesium alloy body)

- No micro focus adjust (There in D7000 and 50D)

- Smaller top LCD

- Less no of external controls (over 50D and D7000)

- 9 focus points vs 39 focus points

- 96% viewfinder vs bigger 100% viewfinder

- 5.3 fps vs 6 fps + larger buffer.

- Single card slot vs Dual card slot

- $1099 body only vs $1199 body only.

Now why would someone want to get the 60D over the D7000 ?

^Aces, not sure about the 60D specs, but about the sensor you are dead wrong - it's the same one as on the 7D and 550D, although the 7D has more readout channels 8 vs 4. Not sure, but I remember reading something on this. Regards your reply about the 7D and low light and lens being more important - Yes, lens are very important. But given the same lens under the same lighting with different bodies?

There is a noticeable difference at ISO 1600 on the 50D VS 7D. And I'm not even using 100% crops. I see grain on the 7D images, but there's more smearing on the 50D. When I was in Taiwan, I got a couple of shots off a 40D, even that seemed to have less grain, although I didn't have a 7D with me then.

The 60D is a more consumer-oriented model than the 50D. For me, the body is very important. If I could have afforded a 5D MK2, with L-only glass, I'd have gone for it eyes closed.
Agree on the 7Ds focussing. I've gotten some really tough-to-focus shots off, with perfect focussing. Over the 50D, it's almost uncanny how the 7D seems to focus on what you want it to focus on. Although cross points aren't a huge deal, unless your subject is moving, or you are ;)

Which is why the 39 point system on the D7000 might be worth looking at. When shooting products/jewellery/static objects, I've found that even 5 focussing points are enough. dSLRs are just becoming more consumerish, for wider possible usage patterns and idiot proof on the focussing. Of course, if you want to shoot your kids or pets that are running around then ;) more focussing points is always a good thing.

I'd suggest the OP wait for a good D7000 review. And then choose between that and the 7D. You're guaranteed a body that you'll keep for 4-5 years ;-)

Back