Budget 21-30k Need advice on upgrade path for my GPU

Hi,

I am looking for advice on upgrade path for my GPU.
My relevant specifications at the moment:-
CPU: i5-11400F
GPU: RX 6600

I recently upgraded to a 1440p monitor for which I feel RX 6600 is inadequate.

I have two thought processes in mind, am looking for advice on which will be better, or if you guys have any better suggestion:-
  1. Get a new GPU right now such as RTX 4070 super / RTX 4070 Ti Super.
  2. Get a second hand GPU right now such as RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 (budget would be around 30k max for 2nd hand GPU).
    Then upgrade to a RTX 5000 series GPU next year. I am thinking that with this, I can upgrade both my CPU and GPU together next year.
I am looking for something which will hopefully last me at least 4 years.
I am currently leaning towards the 2nd option here, but am looking for suggestions from members here if something else would be better.

If you are okay going forward with AMD then i would highly suggest you to look at the 7800xt. Its a great card for 1440p gaming.

If you can go for a higher budget similar to the 4070 super or 4070ti super, would suggest you to look at the 7900 gre/ 7900xt/ 7900 xtx depending on the price and offer. They offer much higher VRAM and often lead to better rasterization performance. The only reason to consider team green(NVIDIA) would be if u wanted the cuda cores for ai/ray tracing or care about power effiency over pure performance

At this point we don't know if the 50 series is going to be a great one. I will say 40 series: 4070(pre-owned) or 4070 super should be great options as they have improved significantly in power draw & performance over high end 30 series.

Avoid a (brand new) 40-series card at this juncture (unless it's a 4090), with 50 series not too far off. It will definitely be an improvement over 40 series.

However, a 7900XT/XTX will also serve you well and are much better VFM. Avoid the GRE.

Get yourself a 3080, which can be had for under 30k, with some warranty left. Yes, they are power-hungry, but will serve you well till 5000 series. For reference, I have a 3080 FE paired with a 7800X3D and a 1440p monitor. All my games run comfortably.

Also, what PSU do you have? Do not get a 3080 if you have anything less than a quality 750w.

dont get any card with less than 12gigs of vram, wait for 50xx series to come out end of this year before grabbing something like a 4080 or better for cheap, in the meanwhile save a little more, 10-15k more and you'll be easily able to grab even a 4080ti second hand

If you are okay going forward with AMD then i would highly suggest you to look at the 7800xt. Its a great card for 1440p gaming.
Not really looking for AMD at this point, plus only looking for 2nd hand cards of this gen.

At this point we don't know if the 50 series is going to be a great one. I will say 40 series: 4070(pre-owned) or 4070 super should be great options as they have improved significantly in power draw & performance over high end 30 series.
Yeah, need to see the cost for 2nd hand 4070, I don't think it will be under 30k (rightfully so at this point).

Get yourself a 3080, which can be had for under 30k, with some warranty left. Yes, they are power-hungry, but will serve you well till 5000 series. For reference, I have a 3080 FE paired with a 7800X3D and a 1440p monitor. All my games run comfortably.
Also, what PSU do you have? Do not get a 3080 if you have anything less than a quality 750w.
Yeah, leaning towards this only, my PSU is not that good, can upgrade it now along with RTX 3080 (something which can be used with RTX 5000 series later on, like good 850W one).

dont get any card with less than 12gigs of vram, wait for 50xx series to come out end of this year before grabbing something like a 4080 or better for cheap, in the meanwhile save a little more, 10-15k more and you'll be easily able to grab even a 4080ti second hand
Yeah, I might also just not get a card as well, just wait it out if I don't see a value upgrade option (have a PS5 as well with a big backlog). Yeah, buying 2nd hand RTX 4000 series is also another option I have in mind if I wait it out.

Yeah, I might also just not get a card as well, just wait it out if I don't see a value upgrade option (have a PS5 as well with a big backlog). Yeah, buying 2nd hand RTX 4000 series is also another option I have in mind if I wait it out.
Nvidia 50xx will be overpriced for sure taking into account 40xx prices, and if its just a big perf bump and Nvidia doesnt have any exclusive features locked behind 50xx, then 40xx second hand will be the best value you can get for cards. Atleast thats what'd I do, you have a decent rig right now and any major upgrade requires a CPU upgrade too to avoid any bottlenecks, (12th gen was a watershed gen for intel with their new platform), so better would be to save up and do a full upgrade next year and that will easily last you till 2030 for sure (PS5 lifetime is estimated till 2028 and giving a couple of years for cross gen support, you can make it last that long without any issues imo)

I think 4070 will be good choice now
Considering the performance its giving and the cost as well as power consuption.
Its will def set you for min 3 years.

What games you play ?
Or what work you do ?
Helps grealtly in narrowing the suggestions by others here.

PSU is very important, i will also suggest you get a gold or platinum you will get a lot of used these days from coirsair sealed and all.
Grab one fo those will set you for 2 gen of your upgrades. Never hesitate to spend on that as important as cpu and gpu...

Nvidia 50xx will be overpriced for sure taking into account 40xx prices, and if its just a big perf bump and Nvidia doesnt have any exclusive features locked behind 50xx, then 40xx second hand will be the best value you can get for cards. Atleast thats what'd I do, you have a decent rig right now and any major upgrade requires a CPU upgrade too to avoid any bottlenecks, (12th gen was a watershed gen for intel with their new platform), so better would be to save up and do a full upgrade next year and that will easily last you till 2030 for sure (PS5 lifetime is estimated till 2028 and giving a couple of years for cross gen support, you can make it last that long without any issues imo)
Yeah, but if say they release 5080 and it performs ~ 4090, I might go for it if the price is near 1 lakh.
I am currently leaning on upgrading my whole PC next year, and just use PS5 and my current PC as is for now.

What games you play ?
Or what work you do ?
Single player games, want to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2, but waiting to upgrade my PC before playing them.

Yeah, but if say they release 5080 and it performs ~ 4090, I might go for it if the price is near 1 lakh.
I am currently leaning on upgrading my whole PC next year, and just use PS5 and my current PC as is for now.
that's what I'm saying, any upgrade will potentially need you to upgrade your CPU too, thats why its better to save up more and look into it next year

Back