Need Advice to improve English communication skills

i have seen many children's spoiled with adapting bad habit's[DOUBLEPOST=1425029522][/DOUBLEPOST]If you are working so respect is with you in India only many nice educated people are not getting job and forced to work like labors so tell them like hard that you are working in a call center and have a job.

Yes. People working at a call center are often treated cheap and are over looked.:facepalm:
Even today, public thinks that only a doctor, or a proper engineer, lawyer, sarkari karamchari etc..has a suitable and stable job in todays world.
Thats why mostly call centre employees have love marriages as both the people meet either working in the same office or are call center employees.:p

Yes. People working at a call center are often treated cheap and are over looked.:facepalm:
Even today, public thinks that only a doctor, or a proper engineer, lawyer, sarkari karamchari etc..has a suitable and stable job in todays world.
Thats why mostly call centre employees have love marriages as both the people meet either working in the same office or are call center employees.:p

Being a call center worker is considered as good as low-caste, by many. It is sad and sickening.

@booo , isn't that Scottish English to be precise. I remember resorting to subtitles almost every time Begbie or Spud came on screen.

@navin007, this is gonna take time man. How good would you rate your current level of English communication?

Also, are you looking more towards improving your written communication skills or oral? I am asking because if it is the latter, I assure you it will take time. May be a few months at the very least of continuous practice. And speaking the language is the only way to do it. Reading more and more will only help you read more and more. I am an English content writer but almost never converse in English in real life barring once or twice a year. And suddenly when those rare occasions do come about, I find myself speaking a bit like a vehicle engine that has been cold-started after many of months of in-operation. A few minutes of warming up and I speak reasonably fine.

So the problem is practice. I think in English when I write but not when I speak purely because I do not need to in my daily life. Unless you work on that part, fluency in the language will be hard to come about. Find a way to speak (and thereby think in the language) for a few minutes every day (with colleagues, family members, your girlfriend/wife, or even friends). Speak slowly but accurately, speed will follow.

And you also do not need a fancy vocab to communicate effectively. As already pointed out in this thread, it serves more as an irritant in a professional environment. The kind of English used in The Times of India is just about perfect for day to day English conversation. If you do not like newspapers, opt for simple to read books like the ones from Chetan Bhagat. Basically choose literature that features a free flowing style (akin to normal conversation).

So simple rule is speak more for good spoken English and read more to be able to write better and read faster (thereby assimilating information faster).

Best of luck!

Thanks eternoMind nice one i will give my best they day when i started this i thread and i got some suggestion i took a book from street and started reading it i got to know my english was under water and now i have gained some confidence but my strength on reading is very weak as i was a non- studious so i am paying for it but no problem i will still give my best and my grammar and writing so very weak so want to improve it and my listing and understanding skill's have gone down due to my this labor job so i am trying to catch things back which is impossible and here as spell check is underlining my all mistakes i can see how bad my English is.

Being a call center worker is considered as good as low-caste, by many. It is sad and sickening.

Sorry about the OT, but I think often times, more than the fact that they are not engineers or doctors, the reason for such a perception is based on personal experiences of people with call centre workers. Sadly, as often its the case, its the attitude and behaviour of some that the whole call centre workers are getting stereotyped on and it is to be expected if you ask me the way things work in our country.

I know that there are sincere and hard working people in call centres as well, but the general experience of people with call centre employees is not good. When I was in Chandigarh, a lot of people over there were reluctant to let rooms to call centre employees.

More than any other job, they seem to have the highest amount of bad habits and addictions for drugs, booze and cigarettes and generally make bad tenants. on top of bad habits, quite often, many don't pay their rents on time.

At both the places that I stayed there, the owners have had bad experiences letting rooms to call centre employees.

At the first place, the neighbouring house was shared by 4 Airtel call centre guys. One day when the owners who lived downstairs were out of town, they brought one of their female colleague/friend (I know she also worked at Airtel call centre) to their rooms along with booze and other stuff and she stayed overnight. Apparently one or more of them had sex with her since in the morning we found several condoms thrown in our waste basket (instead of theirs). Usually, I wouldn't care less what they do in the confines of their room, but we didn't like the fact that they threw their waste into our waste basket and so we complained to the land lord and they were promptly thrown out. A couple of call centre girls living a few houses away were also thrown out after bringing their male friends to their rooms when the owners were away.

At the second place that I lived, the land lady had trouble with three sets of call centre workers. The first set regularly came drunk and they often made a lot of nuisance and didn't pay the rent on time. The second set disappeared after not paying 2 months rent. the last time, she let out to 3 call centre workers and they too disappeared one fine day when she was out of town. Not only were they due for 2 months rent, but they also took a lot of stuff from the rooms like ceiling fans, beds etc. that belonged to her. I think they took advantage of the fact that she was an aged widow and couldn't run around the police to get back the stuff. After that she vowed never to let the house out to call centre employees.

Which such precedents set by some, people start generalizing and viewing all call centre employees in a cheap manner. They wouldn't want to consider them for marriage to their children either fearing for bad habits and behaviour.

watch FRIENDS tv show - all seasons, first with subtitles then with it turned off. that helped me a lot to understand the slang and to reply effortlessly when talking with people from abroad...

I learned most of my english from gaming. Play some online games that is with international servers.
Like world of warcraft etc. You get to interact with English speaking countries and therefore will force you to speak and understand their slangs... not just learned english from school.

Watch English movies and tv series as well. You get to understand some good idioms the actors / actresses throw at each other. If you don't understand their slangs, jokes, sarcasms or idioms... just google the exact phrases.

Back