Need an inverter and battery.

What capacity battery do you suggest? Also any specific model in your mind?
Any make or model you currently have in hand dont buy new battery for this particular setup unless you wish to change your car batteries in coming days.35AH to 55AH use any battery you have at hand even a dead car battery may work well in UPS and will have 1,2 hour backup .just keep that fan running.These batteries are designed to give maximum ampere in order to crank a engine.these battries have many plates in a cell and plates are thin. Inverter batteries are designed for longevity they will have less plates in cells and plates are thick.Tubular batteries plates have tube like rods in plates with fiber stitched to them to protect powder from falling of plates. they will not give instant full ampere at once but constant lower amperes good enough to operate a inverter. Some tubular batteries have thick positive plate and thin negative plates. it is positive plates that wear out with time not negative plates.I have seen local electricians making batteries they use fresh positive plate and takes out negative plates from older batteries and use them to make new batteries.keep in mind daily use of car battery in invertor will shorten the life of car battery
don't use a car battery for this. they are not optimized for inverter / ups use and would go bad much faster.
Its other way around.a car battery will work fine in inverter but a inverter battery will not work in cranking a big engine still you can jump start a small car engine with 150ah tubular battery it will atleast give instant 35,40 ampere.

Last edited:
What capacity battery do you suggest? Also any specific model in your mind?
Exactly what @ashoka1 said. And you need 24v battery or two of 12v smaller (but same). Don't go and buy new one. First test your setup on the batteries you already have with you. If you are using flooded batteries then keep them in ventilated space as they can release hydrogen. And if the battery is not in use from a long time, the voltage may be down. Get it charged from the battery shop because charging the flat battery on UPS will take it many days.

I’ll see if I can hook up my entry level 600VA APC UPS with a car battery without opening up the UPS.
You need one 12v battery. I don't know which UPS you have but be ready to open it up. It's not that difficult to open and connect terminals with other battery if you have some experience opening electrical things. You don't need soldering gun or multimeter. I also don't think your UPS has active cooling so can use a computer fan blowing air on transformer and chips.

==
From my experience with APC UPS, they have internal sensors for detecting overheating, they shut down before frying up. Still disclaimer: know what you are doing. Nobody can take responsibility. You guys should use 4mm copper wire to connect stuff. If you don't have 4mm then you can double up 2.5mm.

Car batteries won't be good for a setup where long backup is needed. They are designed for cranking the engine and not for backup because after that the 'alternator' takes over. One of my friends used an old spare car battery with his inverter and it conked off very quickly. You can get a normal inverter battery of 50-80aH. Better option these days is to buy a good inverter for the whole house. Many inverters come with a switch these days that allow them to be used in UPS mode. Even if that function is not available, just add a normal inverter to your setup and keep the existing UPS. The UPS will make sure that the computer doesn't shut down and the inverter will take over after a second so you'll get the benefit of a longer backup as well.

Members wants to try cheap alternative methods let them.a 110 ah normal battery will last 3 years on inverter easily.problem of using car battery with inverter is that a inverter will never pass pure DC current there will always be some AC current with it that is main cause of damage to a battery .there is no harm in using car battery for few days over longer periods inverter will eat up car battery. batteries have life based upon cycle of charge and discharge lets say a car battery have a life cycle of 5000 discharge and charge and a 150ah inverter battery have same life cycle. on inverter it will get discharge and charge 4,5 times in 24 hours because of its small size whereas a big 150ah battery will not be fully discharged even once so car battery will complete it life cycles very fast and will be dead and we will feel it is inverter fault that battery died so soon in truth battery lasted as long as it was expected. times when inverter was not common and was in its very first stage in India i had this huge black colored truck battery containing 24 plates per cell those were days when electricity was released only 10 hours in a day that too at night and it used to drop to 3,4 hours under load.inverter became popular first in villages after a long time it became popular in cities.in earlier models of inverter used to release few micro ampere even after battery was fully charged to stop battery from dying was told by mechanics who used to come for inspection of batteries every six months.sometimes normal car,truck battery is preferred in places where power cuts for 2 hour and 4,5 times daily because of its fast charging rate due to its thin plates it will get fully charged in 4,5 hours whereas tubular battery will take 12,13 hours to get charged consumer will throw out tubular battery in such areas.tubular battery is not successful in these areas because of slow charging.my cousin have a very good single battery ups solar inverter made by UTL.it can take 24 volt current and can convert to 12 volt and charge battery.its 1 kv single battery inverter with mppt means it can extract 30% current from solar panels.if your load increases it will directly convert solar current and battery current and throw out as single current.every thing is customizable according to ones need.you will not find one kilo watt inverter in a single battery inverters.read some reviews you will find how good it is
https://www.upsinverter.com/product/gamma-solar-pcu/
its prized 12k online but price is much lower my cousin got it for 7.5k 2 years ego it should not be above 8k at most.

Its other way around.a car battery will work fine in inverter but a inverter battery will not work in cranking a big engine still you can jump start a small car engine with 150ah tubular battery it will atleast give instant 35,40 ampere.
Not really, they're designed for different purposes. Current is not the only factor. Car batteries are designed to give large currents for short duration while the inverter batteries are designed to give moderate currents for longer duration. If you use an inverter battery to crank an engine, it'll die due to over current draw. If you use a car battery in an inverter, it'll die due to deep discharge. Different tools have differing requirements.

edit1:
Wait, both of us are saying the same thing @ashoka1 You already said "keep in mind daily use of car battery in invertor will shorten the life of car battery". Now I'm confused what the original disagreement was

Not really, they're designed for different purposes. Current is not the only factor. Car batteries are designed to give large currents for short duration while the inverter batteries are designed to give moderate currents for longer duration. If you use an inverter battery to crank an engine, it'll die due to over current draw. If you use a car battery in an inverter, it'll die due to deep discharge. Different tools have differing requirements.

edit1:
Wait, both of us are saying the same thing @ashoka1 You already said "keep in mind daily use of car battery in invertor will shorten the life of car battery". Now I'm confused what the original disagreement was
kindly read my all previous post on page 1 and 2 i have explained all.i never advocated use of car battery in inverter it will die much sooner because of its small size.I said a car can be jump started with 150ah
battery as 150ah tubular battery can generate 35,40 ampere instantly.some time its becomes necessity to use thin plates batteries when fast charging of battery is required due to frequent cuts and tubular batteries needs longer time to charge.here i meant 110ah truck battery not smaller car batteries. If there are lots of cuts a 110ah non tubular battery will last 12 to 18 months and fast charging thin plate battery is way to go . tubular battery will fail here because of slow charging plates are too ,long and thick round plates with fiber stitched to them will take lots of time to charge. If a battery charges sufficiently with in two, three hour and can provide backup for next cut that is enough.battery life,cost does not matter here main requirement is power and fans should keep rotating.under these conditions any battery will die in 12 to 18 months.a locally made battery with 24 plates per cell is good and cheap.why to spend extra money when you know you have to change battery within 18 months.where power cuts are low a tall tubular battery is best way to go but same cannot be true of a another place where cuts are frequent you need a fast charging thin plate battery in such places.Its been almost 2 years i only filled water once in tubular batteries and haven't looked them since no problem at all.

A tall tubular solar type c10 battery of say 150ah can get way being charged with 20ah. Always get a tubular battery which has a tall type body. They only need to topped with distill water once in 8 to 10months depending on temp and power cuts. In my case I do it every 10 months and the battery level is not even dropped past 70% of the indicator

Never use car batteries for inverter. The plates inside are just to thin. While car batteries can give high amps for a few seconds. Its just not suitable for giving high amps for hrs.

I pull a load in excess of 50amps instantly from my 150ah c10 solar tall tubular battery. Infact the 3hp compressor pulls 50amps in AC inrush current itself for a 2 seconds or so. Then onwards it pulls 50amps DC from the battery while its running. I have 4 x150ah batteries in series.

Last edited:
Many inverters drop power during switch over. That will turn off your PC unless you have UPS.

If you are okay with cheap janky setup for a while, then I would suggest you getting that APC UPS someone is selling here. Hook up a small 24v tubular or flooded battery and you are good to go. That UPS runs fine on such setup.
Yep this is what I'm planning to do now. Waiting for my friend to deliver his old equipment.
I'm also looking out for used ones from those inverter systems powering mobile towers. I think they may be most cost-effective.
But I don't know what battery I should go for and AFAIK they need to have similar specs without overloading one or the other, and also how much they cost. If anyone can provide some info it would be great.
1. I have a PC which I don't think uses more than 400w in total (R3 3300X, GTX 1650, 500W Seasonic Gold PSU). I also plan to use some 8-9 quantity of 10W-15W LED bulbs.
2. What UPS/battery should I go for? What watt/ah? Please be specific with the numbers.
3. How much do they usually cost or should cost?
4. Solar is not an option.

Last edited:
I'm also looking out for used ones from those inverter systems powering mobile towers.
2. What UPS/battery should I go for? What watt/ah? Please be specific with the numbers.
Are you talking about home UPS or computer UPS?
I don't know what is used for powering mobile tower but I think it might be more powerful than a computer UPS.

Yep this is what I'm planning to do now. Waiting for my friend to deliver his old equipment.
I'm also looking out for used ones from those inverter systems powering mobile towers. I think they may be most cost-effective.
But I don't know what battery I should go for and AFAIK they need to have similar specs without overloading one or the other, and also how much they cost. If anyone can provide some info it would be great.
1. I have a PC which I don't think uses more than 400w in total (R3 3300X, GTX 1650, 500W Seasonic Gold PSU). I also plan to use some 8-9 quantity of 10W-15W LED bulbs.
How many hours back up you need and how often are the power cuts. A typical 850va inverter will have load rating of around 500watt and these work on a single 12v battery typical size is 150ah. Higher powered inverters above 1000va are typically 2 batteries connected in series and these have higher efficiency. One could get away using 2 x 80ah tall tubular batteries.

If you want your battery to last 5 years don't cheap out on the company. Typically Exide batteries are industry leaders and their battery weigh more for the same AH rating as others. Meaning they have more lead in them.

Batteries have been discussed to death here. If you use the search function. You will find tons of info on them in this very section of the forum.

Used batteries from mobile towers?dont do that they use small batteries and connect 12 batteries to get 24 volt,if power cuts are more they will connect 24,48 batteries according to needs.some operators
use single cell 2volt batteries and connect them in series to get 24 volt,telephone exchange have this 2 volt cell setup to get 48 volt. A battery drained in cell tower is of no use they change batteries when
they are almost dead with 5,10 minute backup and sometime 0 backup.a single battery 800va 12 volt UPS inverter will do the job with tall tubular 150ah battery. Buy a. 150ah solar tubular battery if you don't have solar panel then too,they are built to last longer.you should get both things around 15k batteries are expensive in NE than north/south and price depends on price of lead that day.Buy any from exide,amaron,Luminous battery they all will last 5,6 years.A pc will not shut down under full load if its near to ups inverter 10,12 feet,if pc is far from inverter then it will shut down no matter which brand of
batteries and inverter you are using.Battery plates can get stiff due to cold and it can die prematurely.get a battery charger and charge battery until it is hot and acid bubbling once in a year during winter,if
you are living in cold climate do it every 6 months.a 800va ups inverter without solar will cost you 3k,4k and 150ah tall tubular battery will cost you 12k it can be 10,15% expensive in NE.solar batteries are cheaper because they have only 5% gst on them other lead acid batteries will attract 28% gst.no battery in market have full warranty of 5 years except solar batteries.its 13500 on amazon and should be 10,15% less in market.
genus is even better if you can find one they are always on short supplies
both batteries are tried and tested personally choose any of them.

If going for solar batteries, go for either Exide or Luminous. Amaron is good, but they won't have as good a service network as the other two. Remember, solar batteries will only have warranty in a solar setup, so if not planning to add a solar panel in the near future, then better to go for a normal battery. If your usage is not going to be long hours with deep discharge, then you should be able to get away with cheaper batteries as well. I went with solar because they were C10 and because I will be shortly adding solar panels in the next year or two.
Try getting an inverter which has UPS mode for faster switching. Don't know if lower capacity models have it or not.

Govt have increased gst on solar batteries 5% to 12% in sep 2021.Amron is cheaper then Exide and luminous 150ah battery.Amron is also c10 battery with 5 year warranty.
exide is 3 kg heavier then amaron.We have good service for all batteries just have to call dealer and he will send vehicle to pickup battery and get it changed in 2,3 days
and send new one.My cousin was in business of inverters for 5,6 years so we gets batteries at decent price from whole seller.we have tried mostly all brands exide,luminous,amaron and
genus.Genus 150ah solar battery out performs all other batteries. exide is very good battery but it is also 3,4k expensive then other brands 150ah c10 batteries.
Mostly all inverter comes with UPS switch only problem is cheaper inverters have aluminum bindings rather then copper

Man, this govt is gonna make Solar too expensive for so many people if they keep increasing the taxes. Thank god that I bought my batteries in June so compared to now, I paid 3500 bucks less for my 4 batteries. Even for solar panels, I am gonna get the huge 80% subsidy that govt currently offers for submersible motor for agriculture use. I'll be paying just 32k for 16 panels (around 5kW), a 5HP submersible motor and a solar controller for that motor. I am gonna sell off the motor and the controller later because I'll prefer continuing to use my current normal motor. I'll have to buy a solar charge controller and everything will work with my current inverter setup. The selling of the motor and the controller might recoup me my 32k back so essentially, I might end up getting the panels for free. If I knew I would be ending up getting solar panels this early, I would have probably bought a hybrid solar inverter in the first place itself.

Man, this govt is gonna make Solar too expensive for so many people if they keep increasing the taxes. Thank god that I bought my batteries in June so compared to now, I paid 3500 bucks less for my 4 batteries. Even for solar panels, I am gonna get the huge 80% subsidy that govt currently offers for submersible motor for agriculture use. I'll be paying just 32k for 16 panels (around 5kW), a 5HP submersible motor and a solar controller for that motor. I am gonna sell off the motor and the controller later because I'll prefer continuing to use my current normal motor. I'll have to buy a solar charge controller and everything will work with my current inverter setup. The selling of the motor and the controller might recoup me my 32k back so essentially, I might end up getting the panels for free. If I knew I would be ending up getting solar panels this early, I would have probably bought a hybrid solar inverter in the first place itself.
we have same scheme for submersible pumps.5kv,7.5kv,10kv at 80% subsidy.250 watt tata panels but some how price are higher here maybe govt have made contract at higher rates.its around 10k per kv.
but you cant bring panels home they have to stay where contractor installs them near bore well it is first condition of solar water system. forget about selling anything officials do check around these things.
if they find panel used else where and motor sold they will furnish you notice of depositing whole amount if you don't pay then legal proceedings will start against you. In such case a person brought panels
home from his farm.he had to take them back where they were. please do ask around before doing anything.here it happened because people started selling panels too. i also have deposited form for 7.5kv and it has been allotted to me and officials have sent 3,4 letters to deposit that 20% amount and i don't want panels to remain in farm, my cousin 20 panels were smashed with a sharp object by someone at night in his farm. Everyone returns home in evening no one is there to guard them. lets see what happens in couple of months. if you live in farm house then this is perfect for you but don't sell anything if someone learns about it govt will impose strict rules.If someone have power connection for borewell for irrigation purpose then he cant avail this scheme.

My borewell and dairy farm is right next to my house, so no issues with me. Even right now, the inverter is installed at the dairy shed and I have run a wire to my house from there.
I do have an irrigation connection for the borewell, but the local JE is cool and agreed to give me the solar setup as well next year. This year, I bought HDPE pipes for the whole farm through the scheme and no one has come to check anything. Even if they come, it is going to be the same JE himself. This happened when we got our borewell connection as well. One check and after that no one comes. Usually what happens is some neighbour will complain. Here where I live no one even knows about these things and only I have a borewell in the neighbourhood.

Cool.Yaa i saw your farm house its absolutely beautiful. We cant buy agricultural land in Himachal? if i have agricultural land on my name in himachal then only i can buy it.
These scheme fall under ADC if you know him he can give it immediately.solar system allotted to me is 7.5kv if i installs 5kv then i will need 10 batteries in series and 5kv inverter
that will cost a lot or i can install a direct converter on line coming from panels but that will work daytime daytime only.why you have installed a four battery setup electricity is cheap in himachal or
there are heavy cuts?

Cool.Yaa i saw your farm house its absolutely beautiful. We cant buy agricultural land in Himachal? if i have agricultural land on my name in himachal then only i can buy it.
These scheme fall under ADC if you know him he can give it immediately.solar system allotted to me is 7.5kv if i installs 5kv then i will need 10 batteries in series and 5kv inverter
that will cost a lot or i can install a direct converter on line coming from panels but that will work daytime daytime only.why you have installed a four battery setup electricity is cheap in himachal or
there are heavy cuts?
I needed a solution for the dairy farm. Options were between generator and inverter. We don't get the 'load shedding' cuts, but whenever there is damage due to a storm or extensive repair work happening then we don't get power for 12hrs +. This year has been very good comparatively because they upgraded the local transformer so we don't get cuts due to fuse of transformer melting due to overloading which used to happen a lot earlier. So say, if fuse was to blow at 6PM, repair would be carried at 9-10AM next morning because the linemen only work between 9 to 5. So I needed to run a 4HP motor in emergency and I decided to go for an inverter instead of a generator because I can use the inverter for lighter loads as well, whereas running the generator for lighter loads would have been expensive. And if I were to buy both, it would have been costlier, even if I was only buying a smaller inverter with a 2 battery setup.

I needed a solution for the dairy farm. Options were between generator and inverter. We don't get the 'load shedding' cuts, but whenever there is damage due to a storm or extensive repair work happening then we don't get power for 12hrs +. This year has been very good comparatively because they upgraded the local transformer so we don't get cuts due to fuse of transformer melting due to overloading which used to happen a lot earlier. So say, if fuse was to blow at 6PM, repair would be carried at 9-10AM next morning because the linemen only work between 9 to 5. So I needed to run a 4HP motor in emergency and I decided to go for an inverter instead of a generator because I can use the inverter for lighter loads as well, whereas running the generator for lighter loads would have been expensive. And if I were to buy both, it would have been costlier, even if I was only buying a smaller inverter with a 2 battery setup.
Damn same problem every where.after burning 4 transformers they changed it with 100kv.blowing fuse is miner issue people fixes it themselves.i have never faced power cut for more then
15,20 minutes because of blown fuse.My friend also had cow dairy like you he used generator for cutting green fodder etc if power was not available .
he had very costly cows costing 1lakh and up per cow.IMHO they were some Pakistani and Gir breeds.but he left this business he told me that if i
calculate every expense like land use,fodder,hay,feed,electricity,doctor expense,servent pay etc then he is at loss by selling milk at that price.
Distributing milk yourself in cities is much profitable and consumer are also happy they gets pure milk without water or fake milk made by using oil and shampoo.
There is 15rs to 20rs difference per liter between his price and price that consumer pays to milkman.
he gets max 30rs if fat is good including govt incentive of 5rs while consumer pays near to 50rs for that milk.
People who buys 30,35rs liter milk it will have half water in it with some harmful substance like shampoo in it.
I always had a cow for milk and butter for use at home.I have shed for her in another plot,servants returning from farm
brings green fodder with them and feeds and milks her.what do you have cows or buffalos in farm?

Back