Storage Solutions Need External harddisk to boot from.

I didn't say they move independently. Just correcting your "1 head for 2 platters", "more surface area to cover" statement. If each platter surface has a head respectively, then each head covers the same platter surface area irrespective of the number of platters!

You seem sort of confused. If there is a data queue, how does it matter which platter the data is on? Even if queued data is on platter surface 1 and head 1 is busy with a data transfer on platter 1 , the queue still needs to wait for that task to finish before it gets fetched. The only possible lag I see is in the controller electronics sswitching between read/write head, and electronics isn't slow. If you don't find rotational speeds to have any difference, I'm surprised how you can find electronics to be slower :p

the reason considering all other parameters same,why more platter hdd will be slow, is as you said switching between read/write head, positioning of another platter if part of same file is spread across multiple platters.
it is not electronics, it is the actual mechanical movement that is slow.

^ Did you take the time to read the previous posts? You're repeating the same thing.

if part of same file is spread across multiple platters.
But that is exactly what a disk defragmenter does. And you say a defragmented disk is faster. Can you explain this?

it is not electronics, it is the actual mechanical movement that is slow.
How is mechanical movement of one head faster than mechanical movement of another head? All heads are connected to the same actuator.

an external hdd no matter how fast it is, will always be slower than an internal one because its usually connected through a usb port. usb ports have bandwidth limitations on cable, the controller chips used in the mobo or hdd side etc. even using a usb 3.0 hdd will be slow during booting. also usb hdd's usually have lesser cache size than internal hdd's if i'm not mistaken.

Back