Need game recommendations from the past 2 years

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
I've been out of touch with the gaming scene for the past two years apart from the games which ran on my laptop's lowly x1600. Im planning to pick up a 4850 before I head home in a few weeks, so it's time to play catch up. I need recommendations of what you think were the noteworthy games of the last two years (technically, since september '06, but before that is fine as well). By noteworthy I dont only mean the best, but games that you feel that if you hadn't played a little part of you may have been different. Any genre is fine except sports games and turn based strategy, and games similar to 'Sins of a Solar Empire' (dont really know what category it comes under, its not really turn based...lets just say 'Hardcore Strategy').

Any help would be appreciated. And dont worry about repeating recommendations someone else made, that would just help me prioritize :) .

Have you played F.E.A.R and FarCry? IMO, these are games you cannot afford to miss.

W.r.t racing games, Need For Speed - Most Wanted is also good. Hmm...better let some gaming experts respond :p .

hehe, i appreciate the effort sydras :) but those came out well before 2006. Unless you meant farcry 2. Although i do have to check out the FEAR expansion. Thanks for the quick reply.

Lemme post whatever comes to my mind :p

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl & Clear Sky

Bioshock

Crysis and Crysis Warhead

Gears of War

Company of Heroes

World In Conflict

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Oblivion

Half Life Episode 2 and Episode 1 if you haven't played it yet

Portal

Dreamfall : The Longest Journey (came in 2006 and one of my all time favourite :))

Devil May Cry 4

Dead Space

GRID

Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Fallout 3

These are mostly the games i have played and yet to play the last 3 games :p Might have missed out a lot, others will post in.

Stalkers list is basically everything I guess....You may wanna try out Far Cry 2 and GTA SA if you haven't played / finished the game....

Mass Effect

Red Alert 3 (Not-so hardcore strategy)

Tiberium Wars(A little harder than not-so- hardcore strategy)

Spore(If you looking for a break from the usual genres.. dont buy the original though.. i bought and am repenting...)

Crysis

COD 4 and 5

Gears of War

Assassin's Creed

Portal

Half Life 2(all episodes)

CoD4

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (not sure about release date but decent gfx)

Firstly, welcome back to the world of games....:)

Here are few which i remember

LOST : Via Domus

Timeshift

PES-2007,09

The Witcher

Dark Messaih: Might & Magic(not sure abt the date

World of GOO :hap2:

Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway

Medal of Honour : Airborne

Word in Conflict

Company of Heroes & its sequel

Devil May Cry 4

Prince of Persia: Two thrones

Splinter Cell Double agent
Mass Effect
Crysis both
Brothers in arms hell highway
Race driver Grid( my fav :hap2: )
Fallout 3
Half Life ep 2(grt gameplay must play)
Deadspace( I wonder why noone mentioned this)
Farcry 2
Cod 4

:D

Here's my recommendations:

COD4: Modern Warfare

Crysis: Warhead

Crysis

HL2: Ep2

Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl

Stalker: Clear Sky

Farcry 2

MOH: Airborne

Gears of War

Mass Effect

The Witcher

Devil May Cry 4

Oblivion

World in Conflict

GRID

NFS: Undercover

PS: Get an X360 controller with the 4850. :D

RPG:

Mass Effect

Witcher EE

Gothic 3 + with all patches :p

Oblivion

Two Worlds

Action:

Stranglehold

Kane & Lynch

Hitman Blood Money

Tomb Raider - 3 new ones

FPS:

Crysis & Crysis - Warhead

Call of Duty 4

RTS:

WIC

C&C - Tiberium

DOW + exp

COH + exp

thanks guys. this should keep me busy for a while.

@gunman: yeah, i was thinking the same thing. one question though, is there any performance difference between the wireless and wired controller? and how much does one in india cost?

Well since all good games have been mentioned all ready I will mention one game to stay away from.

Soldier of Fortune: Payback.

I didn't like any shooter games until I played Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix (Even returned Max Payne's cd to my friend). But, this game changed my point of view about shooter games and suddenly I loved them borrowed Max Payne and Halo and completed them afterwards.

Both SoF2 and SoF3 have an effect. After SoF2 you love the genre and the game and after SoF3 you hate the game and it's creators but not the genre after all I am still playing CoD4 (But i hate the dogs in the game why always go for my throat? Go bite Al Asad).

Grease Monk said:
@gunman: yeah, i was thinking the same thing. one question though, is there any performance difference between the wireless and wired controller? and how much does one in india cost?

I've abs no clue about the performance difference between both of them. :ashamed:

I think a wired one should do. Pretty lengthy cable. You can relax on the recliner which's abt 15ft away and enjoy the game. :p

I got my X360 cntrlr for Rs. 1350. It was a steal back then. All thanx to greenhorn who organised it from his place and sent it over.

Prices here vary from 1.4k~1.65k (sources: landmark, croma). You better get one from there. :)

Back