Budget 51-70k Need Help building a PC

lokeshv

Disciple
Hello All,
Looking to replace my current pc, current setup

Questions

1. What is your budget?
    • No limit but less the better
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i5 4440
    • Motherboard – Gigabyte B85M-D3H
    • GPU – Nvidia GT630
    • RAM – 16GB gskill ddr3(4x4)
    • Monitor – LG 27GL850
    • PSU - Corsair GS500
    • HDD – Crucial 500 GB sata SSD
    • HDD – SATA WD black HDD
    • Audio – Asus xonar dg pci card
    • Logitech Mx Master 2S
    • Microsoft Ergo Keyboard
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - LG 27GL850
    • Logitech Mx Master 2S
    • not sure what else i can keep

1. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Note sure ,Please Suggest
  2. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, maybe will add more ram if needed
  3. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • jaipur
    • Open to online purchase
  4. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  5. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Linux as major OS,
    • programming(python/php)
    • music
    • movies
  1. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • As my current configuration suggest i keep pc for long time, so need a trouble free system, current Gigabyte and Intel system really served me well
  2. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No Gaming
  3. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  • No Gaming
  1. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  2. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Mint/Kali/Ubuntu

some more info
- will prefer a setup which is quiet and runs cooler
- maybe because of above prefer intel based setup (but open for suggestion)
- DDR5 based , as i keep system for long time
- onboard graphics is must as backup
- need a low cost Graphic Card too, if needed.
- MB need to have good audio chip
- need cabinet too, nothing fancy simple and airy

Thanks for Reading

If you go with AM5 platform, you will have an upgrade path even 6-8 years down the line.
An APU should be enough for multi-monitor setup. If you're not gaming, you can reuse your current GPU too.
Not too familiar with AMD, so will defer to others.

Honestly, you need to set a budget.

Linux is not as popular as Windows. Do some research on if Linux supports CPUs with hybrid architecture w/o issues, like i5 13500 with 6P & 8E cores. It is a good value CPU with great performance that will last long, raw performance wise. Else R7 7700 should have no issues IMO.

But AM5 has the advantage of getting newer CPUs for another 3 years or so, 13th gen is the last from Intel for that socket. So in future, you can replace mobo easily with AM5 if it stops working outside warranty or even upgrade to a newer CPU w/o changing mobo & RAM.

i5 13500 rig:

R7 7700 based rig:
R7 7700 is slightly inferior in raw performance to 13500, but as mentioned earlier, the platform is more futureproof. Also, DDR5 bumps up the price.

You can retain your SATA SSD & HDD.

Not sure why you need a low-priced dGPU if the CPU has iGPU.

Hello All,
Looking to replace my current pc, current setup

Questions

1. What is your budget?
    • No limit but less the better
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i5 4440
    • Motherboard – Gigabyte B85M-D3H
    • GPU – Nvidia GT630
    • RAM – 16GB gskill ddr3(4x4)
    • Monitor – LG 27GL850
    • PSU - Corsair GS500
    • HDD – Crucial 500 GB sata SSD
    • HDD – SATA WD black HDD
    • Audio – Asus xonar dg pci card
    • Logitech Mx Master 2S
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - LG 27GL850
    • Logitech Mx Master 2S
    • not sure what else i can keep

1. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Note sure ,Please Suggest
  2. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, maybe will add more ram if needed
  3. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • jaipur
    • Open to online purchase
  4. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  5. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Linux as major OS,
    • programming(python/php)
    • music
    • movies
  1. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • As my current configuration suggest i keep pc for long time, so need a trouble free system, current Gigabyte and Intel system really served me well
  2. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No Gaming
  3. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  • No Gaming
  1. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  2. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Mint/Kali/Ubuntu

some more info
- will prefer a setup which is quiet and runs cooler
- MB need to have good audio chip
- need cabinet too, nothing fancy simple and airy

Thanks for Reading
Future proof and performance for what though? I installed Linux on a potato dual core laptop with no HT, and that runs well, so your current rig is really all you need. Or you can buy a laptop for 50k and enjoy the portability you get with, though you can't rely on the battery for long.

16GB + an i3 is all you need for Linux. Heck, this is probably considered high end in Linux for your type of usage. I run Linux on my daily driver as well, which is a simple 4 core i3 and 8 gigs of memory, and it's snappy enough for me, with plenty of resources to spare. You do not need more than a 6 core chip for your build.

Here's what I'd suggest - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/77847c1a-e9f2-4d26-ac1e-5c55df956b84

Or if you want a DDR5 based rig - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/9260016b-97db-4051-8c30-53fae43eb579

If you feel that you might need more power in the future, swap the CPU in the second build for a 13500, but the 12400 already offers plenty of performance.

Keep your existing storage BTW. HDDs and SSDs don't have the best resale value, so better to hold on to them.

Also, you can't expect much from motherboard audio in this budget, so best option would be a USB Type A/C DAC. Avoid ALC 800 series codecs in a mobo (Im pretty sure this Gigabyte mobo has one). Apple has a Type C DAC under 1k, I heard its one of the best under budget.
Edit- nvm, noticed that you have a PCIe sound card, just plug that into your new mobo's PCIe slot.

Last edited:
If you are okay with ddr4 setup, I'd suggest ryzen 3600 and b450 ds3h, you can get it around 15-16k new for mobo and cpu, and good 3600mhz ddr4 ram which will cost much less than ddr5, rx 6600 or 6700 gpu cause amd gpus are always best for linux (maybe get rx 580 if dont want to spend much on gpu), and slap nvme drive, in future you can upgrade to 5800x or best 5800x3D and get more than 2-3x performance boost, as for backup igpu u said, keep gt 630 for backup

Last edited:
Honestly, you need to set a budget.

Linux is not as popular as Windows. Do some research on if Linux supports CPUs with hybrid architecture w/o issues, like i5 13500 with 6P & 8E cores. It is a good value CPU with great performance that will last long, raw performance wise. Else R7 7700 should have no issues IMO.
Thanks will Research more regarding Linux support and apps i run for multicore support etc on linux, but i agree AM5 is more future proof,
i am not in hurry to buy so will read more.

Thanks for suggestions.
Future proof and performance for what though? I installed Linux on a potato dual core laptop with no HT, and that runs well, so your current rig is really all you need. Or you can buy a laptop for 50k and enjoy the portability you get with, though you can't rely on the battery for long.
i am facing performance issue that's why need upgrade , already have laptop

i will keep my existing system as it is, my kid will use it. (she thinks her current laptop is slow )

some more info/comments

- currently i am not sure to go for intel 12/13 gen or new AM5, will check more regarding Linux support for AM5, its always advisable to wait for sometime before moving to latest platform in case of linux
- need better psu , looking into corsair RM series or equivalent
- as i mentioned system need to run cooler and silent (very important)
- my current sound card is PCI so cant move it to new system
- thought of adding Graphic card , in the case it gives better performance in movies etc (not sure though if i need it)
- read a bit and have decided to stick to ASUS MB, there are less chances of driver issue with asus .

Thanks again for suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks

Thanks will Research more regarding Linux support and apps i run for multicore support etc on linux, but i agree AM5 is more future proof,
i am not in hurry to buy so will read more.

Thanks for suggestions.

i am facing performance issue that's why need upgrade , already have laptop

i will keep my existing system as it is, my kid will use it. (she thinks her current laptop is slow )

some more info/comments

- currently i am not sure to go for intel 12/13 gen or new AM5, will check more regarding Linux support for AM5, its always advisable to wait for sometime before moving to latest platform in case of linux
- need better psu , looking into corsair RM series or equivalent
- as i mentioned system need to run cooler and silent (very important)
- my current sound card is PCI so cant move it to new system
- thought of adding Graphic card , in the case it gives better performance in movies etc (not sure though if i need it)
- read a bit and have decided to stick to ASUS MB, there are less chances of driver issue with asus .

Thanks again for suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks
Yeah, 12/13th gen + DDR4 would probably be your safest bet now. I'm not sure if there were any developments regarding AM5 and Linux, so IMO avoid AMD for now.
For the PSU, a higher end PSU would be beneficial, but the only thing that would set it apart from the 80+ Bronze units would be the warranty.

GPU only benefits gaming, machine learning and video encoding/editing (video editing and streaming). There are probably more examples for its uses but it does not give any extra performance over integrated graphics in movies and even in youtube.

Your sound card should be compatible since it's PCIe only. Could you attach a pic of the PCIe connector here maybe?

Here's a sort of performance/budget oriented build - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/c453f657-3022-47c0-a47c-f99e58e555f2
Aorus PSU is a Tier A rated PSU, one of the best out there.
Add a 3 fan PWM (adjustable power) pack to keep Temps and noise in check- https://www.pcpricetracker.in/out/670047ebc67f1a60b7a204288268eb62/10

I'd still suggest moving down to an i5 12400, which will cut down CPU, motherboard and cooler costs, but still offers plenty of performance. You can in turn use the saved amount for some RGB bling or a new GPU in your daughter's build :).

Back