Need help buying a smart plug

nitin_g3

Adept
Tldr; I need a smart switch which can be controlled manually as well.

I'm looking for a smart switch which is old way proof for my parents who are not tech savvy.
Basically if turned OFF by app it should allow to be turned ON by manual button and if turned OFF by button, it should allow to be turned ON by app.

I Couldn't find any switches which fits this requirement, or were having confusing specifications.

Edit: looking for smart plug and not smart switch.

Last edited:
Almost all smart switches in the market work this way. Wipro makes such switches. Smarteefi seems to be a good brand with decent reviews on Amazon. Smarteefi new series comes with 1 year warranty. I have been using one of these from the past 6 months. If you have any questions, feel free to ask,

This is a smart plug, not a smart switch. Smart switch is something that goes inside your existing switchboard and is hidden from outside. Smartplugs need to be used with the socket on switchboard. For obvious reasons, smartplugs will only work with devices that can be plugged into sockets whereas smart switches will work with any switch (light, fan etc.)

Thanks, if you're using one, can you please test this below me?

Turn off using manual switch, and then turn back on using WiFi.

If you turn off a smart plug using manual switch, there is no way to turn it on using automation since it doesn't get any power.
I use smart switch and this scenario is simple....even vice versa.....don't get complicated....your scenarios are simple, nothing unusual.

He is talking about smart plug and not smart switch.

If you turn off a smart plug using manual switch, there is no way to turn it on using automation since it doesn't get any power.
Are you talking about the manual switch on switch board or the one given on plug itself?
Screenshot_20231213_162037_Amazon.jpg

Energy monitoring is quite accurate and timer too works well.
This review confirms how way off the Wipro smart is at energy monitoring as suspected. This polycab plug seems closer to the Meco but refresh is very slow.

If you're trying to catch when a heater or motor comes on and for how long this won't do. Whereas with the Meco any changes are instantly displayed.

Another test is cumulative monitoring. After a month by how many units does this plug deviate from the Meco?

That might prove tricky as the polycab plug isn't built to Indian contact standards and experiences arcing leading to failure in a few months. This can even happen to the plug itself where it is plugged in. With a smart switch this contacts tolerance issue at either end is completely avoided.

PS: it has power even when off? :oops:

This makes no sense and is possibly a manufacturing defect or the switch has failed in an on state.
That is what I would expect unless it's only the switching part that goes off but the comms part still remains active. The appliance connected turns off but the plug still remains reachable.

Last edited:
This review confirms how way off the Wipro smart is at energy monitoring as suspected. This polycab plug seems closer to the Meco but refresh is very slow.

If you're trying to catch when a heater or motor comes on and for how long this won't do. Whereas with the Meco any changes are instantly displayed.

Another test is cumulative monitoring. After a month by how many units does this plug deviate from the Meco?
Accurate energy monitoring was never my expectation from this polycab one (just a round figure was enough) but it is a good to have feature in this. I didn't find any other "smart plug" that can display stats as accurate as this one (based on reviews and the link you posted).
Have to see how Philips and Tplink have made their models. But as a smart plug, it works well for me and the price I got it for, is a good deal.

That might prove tricky as the polycab plug isn't built to Indian contact standards and experiences arcing leading to failure in a few months. This can even happen to the plug itself where it is plugged in. With a smart switch this contacts tolerance issue at either end is completely avoided.

PS: it has power even when off? :oops:

This makes no sense and is possibly a manufacturing defect or the switch has failed in an on state.

That is what I would expect unless it's only the switching part that goes off but the comms part still remains active. The appliance connected turns off but the plug still remains reachable.

Must be a defective piece or the electrical wiring in his house messed up.
I tested mine just now using a tester screwdriver and it works as expected; tester bulb doesn't glow when smart plug is off.

Accurate energy monitoring was never my expectation from this polycab one (just a round figure was enough) but it is a good to have feature in this. I didn't find any other "smart plug" that can display stats as accurate as this one (based on reviews and the link you posted).
One more test you an try is whether it does RMS measurements. You will need an inverter for this.

Test power consumption of any device on mains and then compare its consumption when powered by an inverter. They should be similar. If not then this polycab does not have RMS measurement.

But as a smart plug, it works well for me and the price I got it for, is a good deal.
The science behind this is the waveforms are different (inverter isn't proper sine) and RMS is the only way to get at the true figure. Multimeters and power meters must have this ability and it usually costs more to have it.

One more test you an try is whether it does RMS measurements. You will need an inverter for this.

Test power consumption of any device on mains and then compare its consumption when powered by an inverter. They should be similar. If not then this polycab does not have RMS measurement.

The science behind this is the waveforms are different (inverter isn't proper sine) and RMS is the only way to get at the true figure. Multimeters and power meters must have this ability and it usually costs more to have it.

Don't have an inverter at home, no idea about RMS measurements as well :( .

Back