Need help buying a Split AC

In the market for a new AC but with some limitation.
I need a split AC with 1.5 T capacity and 5 star rating as the room is 14ft x 12ft

The length of the wall where I can install the AC is 88 cm so the AC needs to be 90 cm or smaller because on one side there is almirah and on the other is sliding glass door and there is no other wall in the room where it can be fitted.

There is also one more problem. I might relocate after this year and that room might be smaller than this and I am skeptical about removing the AC after 1 season. I mean I don't want any damage in the AC by installing, removing and then again reinstalling to new location. I know this sounds weird but it's first AC by my money so yeah I am just being cautious.

Now, I can change my decision from split to window AC but I need best performance and after sales service. I also have an infant so need quiet operation.
Also, is inverter AC better or is it just a gimmick? My first preference is Hitachi and Daikin. On second, LG or Samsung.

In the market for a new AC but with some limitation.
I need a split AC with 1.5 T capacity and 5 star rating as the room is 14ft x 12ft

The length of the wall where I can install the AC is 88 cm so the AC needs to be 90 cm or smaller because on one side there is almirah and on the other is sliding glass door and there is no other wall in the room where it can be fitted.
Check out Cube Ac from few brands if you need indoor unit to be compact size.

Split are when shifted constantly involve extra costs for gas topup apart from removal and re-fitment (Window Acs cost much lesser, don't need gas topups as much as Split Acs)

Get your AC on the rent for now. Check OLX. 1.5 ton available 1.5-2k per month. They take 1k for installation and maybe you have to take it 4 months minimum. Give it back after the summer or when you are going to move.

Window AC needs to have provision made in the window frame already. If not, you'll have to throw your window out of the window and get a new one which can get expensive. Window AC, in my opinion, are less portable than split AC.

Split are when shifted constantly involve extra costs for gas topup apart from removal and re-fitment (Window Acs cost much lesser, don't need gas topups as much as Split Acs)
Thanks man. Haven't heard of cube AC ever. Never found it in showrooms as well. Will have a look at it if they are available nearby.

Get your AC on the rent for now. Check OLX. 1.5 ton available 1.5-2k per month. They take 1k for installation and maybe you have to take it 4 months minimum. Give it back after the summer or when you are going to move.

Window AC needs to have provision made in the window frame already. If not, you'll have to throw your window out of the window and get a new one which can get expensive. Window AC, in my opinion, are less portable than split AC.
That's a really good option. How come I didn't think of it. Anyways, I will ask here and see how much they are charging. In Delhi, they used to charge for one season in one go.

IIR, I got a Westinghouse 2T window AC second hand from a dealer when I was in Delhi for 10k. Used it for a season. It was good performance, but highly inefficient. I returned it after a season as was unable to keep with the expenses from the AC. So if going for a second hand, do ask if it has some star rating, even 1 should suffice as you will be shifting out. Buying a first hand makes sense if you are not moving out unless some unforeseen situation arises.

Is this what you mean ?

Cheaper and cools faster but noisier and not as efficient. So cost wise over time this is going to eat into your savings.

No humidity control either. Well, that might be fine in a dry place like Delhi but out of the question down south.

Still not clear on the USP of this cube thing over regular split ?

the Panasonic CUBE AC with is unique and stylish design, can be mounted close to a ceiling or at the window level. Among the key features are, faster cooling and better air flow with a reduced noise level enabled by a highly efficient diagonal propeller fan for wider air discharge. It also translates into reduced energy consumption. Promising to be tough and durable, the CUBE is well protected against corrosive elements and weather, due to bluefin condenser. The special anti rust coating extends the life span of the AC by three times. The CUBE AC has been developed and launched considering the requirements of Indian customers, which reflected in the survey conducted by Panasonic starting around June, 2009.

What are the cons ?

Last edited:
The cube is a good AC but stopped a long time back . Why not try a portable AC ? you can get a 1 ton or 1.5 ton . No need to install .

Inverter AC are good , but issue is not with the compressor but the Controller boards . They cost a bomb to replace and one is forced to get AMC yearly which is around 4-10k depending on the AC models .

If you are going to relocate split AC is not the right one but a window ac . When the indoor and outdoor units are removed for refit at another place there is always a huge chance of dust particles entering the AC which can load ,block the capillary tube and damage the compressor .
Still not clear on the USP of this cube thing over regular split ?
The USP is that the AC needs seldom cleaning other than the filter . IN dusty environments this one would perform a lot much better than say a 5 star AC with dirty fins .
For dusty areas the highly rated energy efficient ones are useless unless they are cleaned every 2-3 months . If dust settles down in the fins the cooling goes for a toss .
Above is my practical observation .

Last edited:
Thanks guys. For one season, I didn't think that it would be wise to get split AC, so got a metal cooler for this summer saving money and the headache of removing and reinstalling the AC. As my bedroom has good ventilation, it does cool very effectively. My wife has taken out blanket for herself and our daughter. Lol

Thanks guys. For one season, I didn't think that it would be wise to get split AC, so got a metal cooler for this summer saving money and the headache of removing and reinstalling the AC. As my bedroom has good ventilation, it does cool very effectively. My wife has taken out blanket for herself and our daughter. Lol
You're from Delhi a cooler will work in that climate.

I had one years ago which I sold off as it turned the room into a sauna. The guy who bought it sent it to Delhi

Coolers work best when humidity is no higher than 30-40%

Last edited:
Back