Laptops Need help buying lappy for g.f

ibz

Disciple
hi guys

i need help asap.my g.f is in the us and she just joined university.she needs to buy a lappy for arnd 1200-1300 $. she doesnt game..just needs it to take down notes..and i want it to be stylish and girly..even pink..wants it to be lightweight..any recommendations?

hmmm...pink?

Ur options:

1. Dell 1520 and 1420 line (pick one based on screen size, 14" or 15". I recommend 14" cos easier to carry.) And yes it does come in pink.

2. Sony vaios also come in pink AFAIK. n might be more stylish but personally i think Dell has better systems. Also, will get better config for lesser price...n will still b pink :D

The Dell systems need be configured with mid range core2duo proccy only (T5250?) i guess since u need it for basic use only. Get 2 Gig Ram with windows vista home premium n ur set...shud be well within ur budget :D

Dell Inspiron 1420 - Notebook

Built the following from the lowest cost unit in link above:

My Components

Flamingo Pink

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

High Resolution, glossy widescreen 14.1 inch display (1440x900)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini-Card

Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

No Camera

56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)

High Definition Audio 2.0

My Software & Accessories

No Security Subscription (30-day trial)

Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

Yahoo! Music Jukebox - Music Player

My Service

1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service

Free 3 GB Online Backup for 1Yr

6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

Also Includes

Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Windows Vistaâ„¢ Basic

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Inspiron 1420

Total: 1100$

The above included following upgrades above sd config: HDD,RAM,DVD/RW,OS all upgraded.

Enjoy :D

@pcstore:

1. Ur links not accessible

"Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #6.32af0e3d.1186940337.316b3a4 "

Should have given model number at least ;)

:( server not available error. But i am guessing u pointin to the new XPS model :p

2. Its above his budget for a similar config.

3. I dont think it ll come in pink. n for a girl..nothin says it like that color :p

Have a friend with a pink vaio (VGN c13 something 13" )..she wudnt look at anything else after she saw it in the showroom :p just had to have it..for like ~15k more than a similarly configured Dell!!!!! thats how girls work :p

Moral of the story: Get the Pink..girls dont care bout configs or companies :p n the 14" is god enuf to carry around. (have tried a Dell latitude D620 14")

@Xanthor:

1. Hes gonna buy in US.

2. A pink dell config is way better than a pink Vaio!!! ;)

(Considering that same color but Dell will give better config/performance/VFM for lesser price)

Im curious ...does dell even offer pink ? Last i checked it was a lipsticky shade of Red. Plus VAIO'S have the "ZOMG you got a VAIO" reaction value similar to iPod's. Accept it, 90% of girls dont care what GFX card you gave or what the clock speed of your RAM is. I think getting a Vaio would make her happier.

If however the product was for any guy Dell wins hands down.

i dont think so girl will be happy with a MAC .. mac is for person who has been using MAC from the beginning. I guess she should be using Windows for some time so getting into a MAC will not be easy.

If price is not the factor then check out Fujitsu .. they are japan assembled and light weight and simply good looking .. i feel they are better than even Sony. (VFM) just cos of the brand sony is kinda over priced.

Can not be specific to model if you can visit a showroom who sell Fujitsu.

remember girl do like to be different and unique ;)

and trust me .. 14" may be good for 6mo-1yr time .. after that sure she will feel its heavy .. cos by then many low weight model used by her friends around :)

pcstore said:
i dont think so girl will be happy with a MAC .. mac is for person who has been using MAC from the beginning. I guess she should be using Windows for some time so getting into a MAC will not be easy.

You can very well run windows on a MAC. Using the bootcamp software. Apple - Boot Camp

However there is a catch. That software is still in beta and I would not want to recommend a beta to a girl. :p

And here is the new MAC OS in all its glory.

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - Boot Camp

Apple - MacBook

Prices starting from $1100

EDIT- Personal experience and opinion

Laptop - A device which has a maximum screen size of 13.3". Beyond that its a portable desktop computer. Dont got for 14"

guess what Techie007... we got exactly what u recommended...g.f liked the black lappy better...guess she thought pink was too girly :p

they are almost the same specs as urs.. slight change in specs...got quite a good deal ...2 year warranty included ..free shipping...came to 1206 $ (96 $ tax+ 6 $ for california environmental tax :S ) heres the link for the techie ones :cool2:

Costco Jet Black Inspiron 1420 Intel C2D T7100 1.8GHz 2GB DDR2 120GB HDD DVDRW WebCam

oh yea... we need a wireless router for her cuz she lives with another girl in her apartment...wants to go wireless...im kinda lost on that one too ... well as my girl said...te guys zindabad :eek:hyeah:

p.s - she doesnt knw a thing abt macs...BUT... she uses virtualdub to encode videos in h.264 format AND shrinks down mp3s for me to lissen... oh yea...she knws how to use VNC too ..im so proud of her :clap:

Good to see you are happy :)

Any wireless router will do. there are plenty available. Belkin/Linksys will be my choice. Just make sure that they use the wi-fi with WEP and no SSID board cast. Although this thing can be hacked but still its not unsecured as default settings.

Glad to help. Reps are always appreciated :bleh:

get any WPA enabled router .shud be fine..esp if u need it with range only in a single apartment :)

Also, seems one cool girl if shes able to encode h.264/mp3 n stuff... :p
most of the ones i know get lost trying to find the control panel :rofl:

Back