Need Help:Hathway Cable Modem,Dataone BB Modem-cum-Router. How to Wi-Fi?

awestriker

Disciple
Hi,

Please help as much as possible, with as many ideas as you can:

Recently my neighbour did a clean-up of junk, and they handed me a Hathway cable modem and a Dataone(BSNL) Broadband(Huwaei make)wireless router-cum-modem :D .

Now I can get broadband from Hathway, using cable modem...but is there any way I can convert it into wireless(Wi-Fi) using the Dataone Broadband Huwai modem-cum-wireles router.:S

Here are the ports which the modems have:

Hathway Modem- Cable input, Ethernet Port, Power.

Dataone(BSNL) Huwai - ADSL Input, Ethernet Port, USB Port, Power.

Kindly help me, with any ideas.

Cheers,
A w e :rofl:

i dont think those two can be combined.

as the dataone router has ADSL signal as input while HATHWAY thingie must be giving output on Lan cable.

so combining two is not possible imo.

you will need a normal router thing which takes input signal as Lan cable and acts as a router for your home lan.

Y you guyz are telling that it will not work.

Dude put the lan wire from the hathway cable modem to the ethernet port of the bsnl wifi router and you will get wi-fi internet.

i doubt why one cant use router+modem built in as router only :D

Yes, u should be able to use Dataone router for just wifi purpose as its not gonna dial anything. Post that dataone router model so that others can help u set up wifi.

Highly unlikely - imo it WONT work.

Why - If you think ethernet out from Hathway modem to ethernet port of Huawei router will allow the router convert it into WLan, it won't happen.

If you follow this, what you end up doing is - joining two ethernet "out" points.

The Huawei firmware would allow ONLY ADSL input to be broadcast on WLan & also on USB and ethernet. * Try putting the Cat5 cable from modem into a non "internet" marked port in any of the commercially available routers & see if it broadcasts the SSID - It will not.

What *might* work - Setting up a proxy server ( Winproxy/ccProxy ) which can be windows mc having dual lan ports - one cat5 from ethernet port of hathway modem, second cat5 from itself to the Huawei router ethernet port. <-- The router would now allow access to the internet through proxy. In effect the router is not doing anything but just allowing access to another system through wifi.

I can try this setup myself, involves investment of quite some time.

The Hathway modem will give out one public IP which will get passed on to the wired PC via the LAN ports of the ADSL router. The wireless computers will get an IP from the DHCP server of the ADSL router, which would be in a private range. All the wireless PCs will try to go online via the ADSL router, but that won't be possible since there's nothing connected to it's WAN interface, i.e., no ADSL connection.

Setting the wired PC as a proxy server is one option, but in that case you should connect the PC to the Hathway modem via USB/ethernet and to the ADSL router via ethernet. This would mean having to NICs on the wired PC if you don't use the USB port on the Hathway modem. There'd be no need to connect the Hathway modem and the ADSL modem together. Also, you'd need to keep the wired PC on at all times in case the wireless PCs want to go online. Not worth the hassle, if you ask me.

Back