Need help in wiring up my new house

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
We have finalized a flat (3BHK) and I need help planning the networking in it.
There is a central panel located in the middle of the flat, in the hallway, where fiber optic comes in. I am assuming that's where my central router (Asus AC68U) will reside along with the cable modem. I am planning to get a 4U rack and gigabit switch that will go there. Gigabit is enough for me.
I am also planning to put my AC59Us in two of the bedrooms. I want them to have a wired back-haul.

Now comes the real concern.

The house is wired already through the walls such that,
Each bedroom and the living room get a co-axial connection, and a telephone connection (RJ11) each.
All of these connections terminate at the panel I mentioned above.
I want to keep one coaxial (for the living room, for live TV) and one telephone connection, also probably in the living room.

Are there any very slim Ethernet cables, that I can replace the Co-Axial cables in the wall with, by mashing 4 of them together so that they are nearly same thickness as the co-axial cable?
I really want more than one port in my bedroom at least, where I can connect my gaming PC, XBox, NAS and AC59U directly to the main switch (rather than through the AC59U). Thinking to get quad port faceplates that will replace the Co-Axial ports.
Is there any fiber-based solution that I should prefer more? Don't want to spend 10K+ for wiring.

You'll need to ask an electrician. Even though you want to replace your co-axial cable with Cat6, there may be too many bends to pull the cables through.
I had Cat6 cable installed in all the rooms at my place. I thought I could just replace the TV cable with ethernet cable, since it's thinner, but the co-axial cables were impossible to remove, so we had to cut the walls and install fresh pipes for the LAN cable. It didn't take much time, didn't cost much more and we were going to paint the house anyway, so it was worth it for me.

Back