Need help picking a router with DD-WRT or Tomato Support

octal

Disciple
I have been looking around for a router within the range of 2-2.5K for a wireless router with DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware Support but haven't had much luck :S was hoping somebody here would be able to help.Here's a list of priorities for me

1.Need to stick within the budget. :(
2.Should be available easily in Bangalore (SP Road or elsewhere)

Wireless-N is not a big priority but is good to have.Range is not again too big issue I am only looking to cover a area of say 1100SqFt all on the same floor with not too many obstructions.

WHR HP G54? Someone was arranging a sales in the market section, please check there. BTW I am using the said router with tomato tadka for about 3years without any problem.

~LT

Both the Buffalo WHR HP G54 and Linksys WRT54GL sell for over 3K.

I wonder if you would be able to find one for 2-2.5K

amc said:
Both the Buffalo WHR HP G54 and Linksys WRT54GL sell for over 3K.

I wonder if you would be able to find one for 2-2.5K

Is it? that was the price a long time back. I thought the price did drop to 2.5k or so. I will search and post here again.

~LT

Pardon me butting in..

Between the Buffalo and the Linksys which is the more reliable option?

Just asking since there were a few bricked Buffalos and dealers too seem a bit shy about Buffalo support - although if i'm not mistaken, Buffalo support is handled by Accel (same guys who handle Seagate) ?

Well I was wondering about the Linksys WRH54G sells for around 2k and does show up in the DD-WRT database I am not sure about its support for Tomato Firmware though any feedback about this router would be helpful.

First of all don't have any hopes of getting a good wireless N router for 2.5K. You'll need to spend 5K minimum.

DO NOT buy any new Linksys routers for DD-WRT. All the new ones are casterated and have insufficient RAM and flash memory. First they don't have enough flash memory to install the full DD-WRT, you can only install the Micro or whatever version with half the features removed. Seconds due to lack of ram the NAT table overflows and the router cannot handle heavy torrenting etc.

If you're on a budget, get that basic Buffalo one (forgot the name), it has more flash memory but same RAM as the new Linksys ones.

If you can spend more get the Asus WL-500G. Its a monster of a router with massive amounts of flash and RAM.

I picked up a Buffalo G125 for 1.8k bout few months back and have been enjoying tomato on if ever since :D ya might wanna take a look at that!

I am sorry got a little too occupied with some other things ;) but just to update this thread and not leave it hanging.Went out and got myself a DIR-300 for around 1640 Rs and loaded it with DD-WRT with help from this guide Mini Flashing Guide for DIR-300 | shadowandy - my life stories
Just for information sake the original firmware on this router is total crap and do not buy this router until you have the courage to flash it.The sad part is a day or two after I get this router the n standard gets finalized.

Thanks guys for all the inputs I really couldn't budge on the budget front so I had to get this.It has decent range and serves my purpose so anybody with similar constraints this is the router to get.

Thanks once again for all the valuable input

Back