CPU/Mobo Need help regarding a very old PC - Boot error and Monitor issue

envira

Disciple
Hi,
I visited my ancestral home and during cleaning found out my old pc which I built 10+ years ago. I used to upgrade it and last I used it was in 2014/15. Since then it was lying unused. It used to run windows 8 with 8 gigs of Ram powered by an Intel i3 3rd Gen processor with 1tb HDD.

Now the issues are

1. I get this error upon booting the device.

The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.

File: \Boot\BCD

Error code : 0x000014c

2. The monitor was an LED by AOC.
It has white spots on the screen. How can I get rid of them.

3. Can I upgrade the windows to 10 without losing any data ?

I attach the picture of the monitor as well as the error.
Help is appreciated.
Thank you.

IMG20231122104631.jpg

Error I encountered
IMG20231122105308.jpg

Spots on monitor
IMG20231122105059.jpg

Specifications of the pc

Yes, win10 can be installed on it but again if you are simply installing and forgetting for another decade then no point taking all the renovation efforts.. Just my thoughts.
If someone is going to use the machine then it makes sense.

The error is regarding bootloader issue.

i have an aoc monitor with similar discoloured spots. apparently screen is damaged and is just e-waste now. have to throw it away somehow. like your monitor, even my monitor was lying unused for years. switched it on 1-2 years back to check it and saw the spots in center of screen.

If it's not a big issue “bootrec /fixboot” can fix it. Watch this video. If this does not work, you can search the internet for the error code or the error message that you encounter. However, if the partition or files are corrupted beyond repair, no amount of tinkering will work. In that case, you can try booting into a live Linux distro such as Ubuntu and access your files from there. You can then copy them to an external disk without installing any OS.

If you want to install Windows 10 without losing any data, you might be able to do so if you can fix the error. However, I would recommend you to consider using a Linux distro instead (if that's possible), as it can run much more smoothly on old hardware. If you are nerdy enough you can even try self hosing stuff.

Regarding the monitor, it is failing and there is no way to prevent or repair it. The problem will worsen over time until the monitor stops working completely. I've had two old monitors do this to me

If it's not a big issue “bootrec /fixboot” can fix it. Watch this video. If this does not work, you can search the internet for the error code or the error message that you encounter. However, if the partition or files are corrupted beyond repair, no amount of tinkering will work. In that case, you can try booting into a live Linux distro such as Ubuntu and access your files from there. You can then copy them to an external disk without installing any OS.

If you want to install Windows 10 without losing any data, you might be able to do so if you can fix the error. However, I would recommend you to consider using a Linux distro instead (if that's possible), as it can run much more smoothly on old hardware. If you are nerdy enough you can even try self hosing stuff.

Regarding the monitor, it is failing and there is no way to prevent or repair it. The problem will worsen over time until the monitor stops working completely. I've had two old monitors do this to me

+1 on using a Linux distro instead of going the Windows route on older hardware. I have successfully restored many of my older laptops such as an HP Laptop that ran Vista & VAIO notebooks from the 2005-8 era with distros like Linux Mint to a daily office use capacity.

Doing a clean install will be beneficial as well. Get your stuff off the storage with a live boot of Linux on a external storage, then wipe the local drive and install a fresh Linux distro you like.

Back