Budget 0-20k Need help to build a home server

bootloader

Recruit
Last time I built a PC was a decade ago. Right now I'm looking to build my home server for media/automation/plex/file-sharing and other customized needs (for internal network only).
I will Dockerize all the services for easy management and deployment.

I can spend up to Rs. 20k, I am ok with used parts as well. If there's an inevitable Rs. 2k or 3k over 20k, I am fine with that.
I want to allocate large chunk of my budget to a decent processor, would be really helpful if it supports virtualization.

Any suggestions, ideas?
I have tried researching on Intel's NUC, but it ships with Windows 10 by default, and I don't want to spend money on Windows, I will wipe it out and install some lightweight Debian based Linux anyway.

Suggest me how to go about this, or where do I start. I wanted to understand what parts to buy.

Last edited:
A Pi 4 with 4/8 GB RAM should cover pretty much everything you mentioned including Docker.
If looking for NUCs, keep a watch in the market section as they do pop up from time to time. Alternatively look for used USFF systems from Lenovo, Dell or HP.

Last edited:
A Pi 4 with 4/8 GB RAM should cover pretty much everything you mentioned including Docker.
If looking for NUCs, keep a watch in the market section as they do pop up from time to time. Alternatively look for used USFF systems from Lenovo, Dell or HP.
Thank you, I will definitely check out Pi 4 and USFF systems. But due to the global chip shortage I guess, I can't find it in stock anywhere.

If you are from Bengaluru, there is store called BSK computers. They sell refurbished Dell/HP/Lenovo desktops. They are quite professional. My friend has bought a PC from them couple of years back and it was good. I think he also lists his inventory in OLX.

If you are from Bengaluru, there is store called BSK computers. They sell refurbished Dell/HP/Lenovo desktops. They are quite professional. My friend has bought a PC from them couple of years back and it was good. I think he also lists his inventory in OLX.
Thank you for this, I do not know any good PC stores in Bangalore that sell genuine parts, your recommendation will surely help. Maybe buying in Bangalore would be helpful since I can visit them in person to verify the parts instead of buying them online. Let's see. Thanks again.

Buy a refurbished gen4 Dell desktop and build around it. Barebones are available for around 4.5k here in Bangalore. Check local classifieds on OLX in your town too.
I built a pfsense firewall using one. Though I sourced it from a friend who was looking to get rid of this old machine.

Back