Laptops Need help with configuring Dell xps1210 setup

psynaps3

Disciple
Hi,

I will be getting myself a Dell XPS1210 this month from the Dell online store. As of now, I have finalized on this configuration.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)

Memory: 1024 MB( 1 x 1024MB) 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

Video Solution: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache

Audio Solution: Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software

SATA Hard Drives: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400rpm)

Internal Optical Drive: Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities

Primary Battery: 6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Is there anything in particular that I have to look out for? What are my chances of getting a discount upon calling up their sales team? Does anyone have any inside info on any good offers coming up around Xmas? :)

PS: Budget is 80k.

Many thanks...

choose the no partition option to get a hidden discount of ~800 :p

then create the partitions yourself when doing a fresh install (which youd need anyway given the amount of bloatware on Dell )

Folks,

The same configuration with an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz comes to around 73k in the Dell India online store. However, the price in Dubai is around 60k. Any idea why there is such a difference? Is it because of the DSF/Xmas season?

- Would there be a considerable difference between the 1.83Ghz (2MB L2) and the 2 Ghz (4MB L2) processors?

- Should I go for a 1Ghz 553Mhz RAM or 1Ghz 667Mhz RAM?

- SATA HDD - 5400rpm or 7200 rpm? I am guessing that the 5400rpm would be better for laptops due to lesser heat dissipation?

- 6 cell or 9 cell battery? (Battery time/Weight difference)

Many thanks again...

superczar said:
choose the no partition option to get a hidden discount of ~800 :p
then create the partitions yourself when doing a fresh install (which youd need anyway given the amount of bloatware on Dell )
Thanks for the info on bloatware :) I might most probably be running Ubuntu instead of XP.

few days back, i was talking to the sales person of dell india...he said me tht...wait for xmas...some offers may come.even he doesnt know ..what offers ll be there.i ll suggest u ...to wait till 25 dec.

get 1 Ghz 667 Mhz RAM...thts better.i m having 1.83 Ghz...thts quite fast also.definitely there ll be a difference due to 2 mb l2 cache and 4mb l2 cache....but i think tht difference u can make out when u run any s/w which eats lot of ram or need cpu time...but in my opinion...in normal use, the difference wont be noted down.RAM drastly differentiates the speed.

i think dell is giving offer on 5400 rpm hard drive..i mean free upgrade from 80 to 120 gb.get tht one only.

u ll get a nice config around 70 excluding taxes.when i got it ....i asked the sales person to waive off the octroi tax which around 3k.so he had waived off.try to bargain...okay.

this laptop is worth buying. :)

I am getting it from dubai. The price difference is just too tempting. The exact same configuration with a 1.83Ghz (2mb L2 cache) processor comes to 60k. :) The only other glitch is the keyboard is going to be English/Arabic. They said they would try to get it switched to an English only keyboard.

@vtrips, thanks for the info.

Yup, it seems its quite easy to get it replaced. I don't think I will be doing it anytime soon.

The laptop did come preloaded with a hell load of junk softwares. The system was performing like an old P2 :) I had to reformat and reload XP. Wonder why Dell makes its customers go through all this trouble.

The laptop itself is an absolute beauty. However, the screen is a tad too glossy to my liking, and the stuff weighs around 2.5kgs (with the 9 cell battery). Definitely not an ultra portable.

psynaps3 said:
Hi,

I will be getting myself a Dell XPS1210 this month from the Dell online store. As of now, I have finalized on this configuration.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Memory: 1024 MB( 1 x 1024MB) 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM
Video Solution: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache
Audio Solution: Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software
SATA Hard Drives: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400rpm)
Internal Optical Drive: Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
Primary Battery: 6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Is there anything in particular that I have to look out for? What are my chances of getting a discount upon calling up their sales team? Does anyone have any inside info on any good offers coming up around Xmas? :)

PS: Budget is 80k.

Many thanks...
about that, does TurboCache mean that NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache share memory with the system taking away 256 mb?

thts for sure....dell xps is not ultra portable.its width is more...as its fan is on its left side....unlike hp laptops (which has its fan below).

regd weight..i had 6 cells...so its weight was around 2 - 2.1 kgs. screen is fine.

yeah regd its preloaded programs...as per me..those r useless and consume more m/r.u ve an option to restore the dell media direct (thts also another useless s/w)....better remove tht when u re install.

I have already removed the restore partition... not too sure what has happened to Media Direct.

Edgy download is in progress, so once that completes, I will be dual booting with XP. The only reason XP is still there is because of Word, Excel and the webcam not working in Edgy.

OT:

How's linux support for

- IPOD/SE k750i

- FAT32 (R/W)

Guys,

How can I find out which 'Display Driver' I need to install? There are around 20+ display drivers in Dell's Drivers & Downloads page.

Edit: The model id is AUO3214

Edit2: Stupid me :) The display drivers are for external dell monitors.

Back