Need help with MTNL Triband Mumbai

raksrules

Elite
My Uncle wants to put up MTNL triband connection at their home in Andheri, Mumbai.

We are interested in getting the wifi modem from MTNL and do not want the hassle of separate modem and router. They have zero tech know-how so even simple configuration themselves is out of question.

The plan we are more interested is the DSL395 which gives 512 kbps DL. The MTNL triband page says the modem CPE rental is 50 rs.

Here are the queries...

1. My Uncle asked MTNL exchange and he was told modem rental is 100 Rs. But website says Rs. 50. What is correct ?

2. Does MTNL still provide the wifi modems and what is the turn around time.I know that personally i had to wait for wifi modem to become available. Please do not tell me to buy own wifi modem, that will not be possible.

3. The DSL_395 plan has 512 Kbps UL/DL full time and it should ideally cost 395 + Tax + modem rent per month, right ??

My Uncle wants to put up MTNL triband connection at their home in Andheri, Mumbai.

We are interested in getting the wifi modem from MTNL and do not want the hassle of separate modem and router. They have zero tech know-how so even simple configuration themselves is out of question.

The plan we are more interested is the DSL395 which gives 512 kbps DL. The MTNL triband page says the modem CPE rental is 50 rs.

Here are the queries...

1. My Uncle asked MTNL exchange and he was told modem rental is 100 Rs. But website says Rs. 50. What is correct ?

The website says 50 bucks so it will be 50 bucks.. you can politely say the same and in case if the MTNL wireman argues you can request your uncle to speak to higher authorities stating the fact.

2. Does MTNL still provide the wifi modems and what is the turn around time.I know that personally i had to wait for wifi modem to become available. Please do not tell me to buy own wifi modem, that will not be possible.

Due to very high demand for wifi modems their spontaneous availability is always a question. The staff will deliver them only when they get it in stock or someone surrenders the old working modem. Turn around time can't be said by anyone but if there is huge demand for modems then ideally they should get it in a month's time. But its MTNL!

3. The DSL_395 plan has 512 Kbps UL/DL full time and it should ideally cost 395 + Tax + modem rent per month, right ??

Yes

Answers in blue text
happy19.gif

Here are the queries...

IIRC the wifi modem will have a rent of 100Rs while the default modem will have a rent of 50 Rs.

You forgot to add the landline rent which is a minimum of 150Rs. Instead of the DSL_395 Plan choose the DSL_Unlimited_495 plan which costs 495 Rs inclusive of the landline rent.

http://mtnlmumbai.in.../unlimited-plan

The rent free landline is provided in plans which have a 'COMBO' in their name.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Answers in blue text [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
happy19.gif
[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]

Wifi Modem 100 & wired modem has 50 rupees rental.

Waiting period can be long or short depending on whom you approach. Better ask a lineman for the modem. He'll get one for you in a day or two for as low as 200 rupees!

I use the Combo 495 plan and the exact bill amount is 601 rupees (I have a wired modem) when I make 0 calls. In any case, the plan offers 25 free calls per month. For a wireless modem, I'll be 50 rupees (plus service tax on that 50) more.

The 495 plan turns out to be cheaper than the 395 plan.

there will be 12.36% service tax on modem rental as well.. So total cost in case of 495 DSL combo will be 495+50 = 545 + 12.36% service tax....

Don't forget the 3% educational cess. This was when the service tax was 10%. dunno what it will be now...

is the 100rs pm for wifi modems for new connections only?

i have the wifi modem and i'm charged rs 50pm but i'm not using the wifi part of it and instead using another router for the wifi bcoz the mtnl modem's wifi was not connecting to my linksys dd-wrt router which i wanted to use as a extender/repeater.

but now i want to use the mtnl modem for the wifi so i'm thinking of calling helpline and giving some excuse so that they change the model. will they start charging me rs 100 then?

Presently the service tax is 12.36 % including the edu chess .

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Just got my bill. It says Service Tax 12% and below that Educational Cess 3%. If taken separately this might work out to 15% !!! Or the edu cess may be on the service taxed amount which should then work out to a total 12.36% or so. Too tired to calculate this now.

Wifi Modem 100 & wired modem has 50 rupees rental.

Waiting period can be long or short depending on whom you approach. Better ask a lineman for the modem. He'll get one for you in a day or two for as low as 200 rupees!

I use the Combo 495 plan and the exact bill amount is 601 rupees (I have a wired modem) when I make 0 calls. In any case, the plan offers 25 free calls per month. For a wireless modem, I'll be 50 rupees (plus service tax on that 50) more.

The 495 plan turns out to be cheaper than the 395 plan.

and what is the download speed that you are getting ? 512 kbps download speed or 64 kbps download speed ?

The 495 plan line speed is 512kbps. Real-world download speeds vary between 55kB/s to 60kB/s for me.

how is 512kbps to have a cam chat say if both persons having 1.3 mp HD Cam?
Sorry for hijacking the thread but i need a solution from by cable operator too !!

Back