CPU/Mobo Need mobo+ cpu withing 7-8K budget

MohitPreet

Skilled
well i m finally upgrading my pc after 5 long years

need something similar like that for the next 5 years or so

please recommend me a basic all purpose pc which can last me for 5 years

budget around 7-8k exculding ram , its good if its on the lower side :p

basic req is movies, music , internet surfing , minor games , little bit of ripping dvd's like the 700mb rips, not much but sometimes i do that as well plus watching HD movies and above all also as a downloading rig 24/7 operation on bsnl u/l plan

i m thinking of

intel e5300 + gigabyte G31mobo

or tellme something similar in the AMD range like amd phenom II and mobo which had good onboard graphics as well, i m not going to game much but it wud be good if i have a onboard hdmi output as well

dont nned a dedicated gpu

also tell wat ram and HDD (1TB) to get alongwith this

thanks in advance

for the above mentioned purpose, X4 AMD CPU + ASUS M3N78-EM will suffice. Go for it and you will be happy. It will serve as a basic purpose rig for a max. period of 5 yrs...

If you want the pc to last for 5 years then you should go for a ddr3 mobo,

Amd x2 250 - Rs 3600

MSI 785gm - e51 ( good onboard graphics + pcie 1x slot + hdmi + esata) - Rs 4500

A quad core is minimum for 5 years. Already now some games , applications are enhanced for multiple cores.

DDR3 rig (Futureproof for 5 years )

AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k / AthlonII X4 620 - 5.4k
MSI 785GN-E65 - 5.6k / Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H 5.9k
Total - 8.6k / 11k

The IGP ATI radeon HD 4200 is a very good and will be sufficient for your needs

DDR3 mobo costs more but at least it will help you last 5 years

i dont require quad core for 5 years

my needs r very basic i just feel slow speeds while using multiple tabs on firefox

and i dont need gpu at all i dont game

AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k

biostar 758GE mobo with 2 gb ddr2 ram

i think that shud be it

wat say?

MohitPreet said:
my needs r very basic i just feel slow speeds while using multiple tabs on firefox

AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k
i think that shud be it
wat say?

virus32win said:
^^^
Perfect combination for your need. Go for it.

hey i have decided to get intel e5300 and gigabyte g-31 mobo with 2 gb transced ram

will add a dedicated gpu later for hdmi support
will help me to save some money as of now
wat do u have to say on that

dont go for outdated intel dual cores coz they are already at EOL stage. Since you want something to last for 5 yrs go for the amd suggestions.

MohitPreet said:

AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k
i think that shud be it
wat say?

I think you need atleast two core CPU now. Even lastest firefox eats 130MB of RAM. If you surf sites with large number of embedded items like gifs, games, etc it will eat more.

My vote is for quad core with DDR2 or 3 RAM.

AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k

MSI 785GN-E65 - 5.6k (AM3 board )

Total - 8.6k

This is in your budget of 8k

Alright since you say you won't need quad core for 5 years pc then be it but don't go for an outdated Intel LGA 775 socket processor.

The performance gains won't be much but keep in mind DDR2 board is only 1.5k cheaper and spending 1.5k will ensure you futureproof.

Suppose one of your DDR2 rams gets damaged , where will you find DDR2 in the next 5years ? Even if you find one will you shell out a loadsome of old technology ?

Anubis said:
Suppose one of your DDR2 rams gets damaged , where will you find DDR2 in the next 5years ? Even if you find one will you shell out a loadsome of old technology ?

Wouldn't that be covered by the manufacturer's warranty?

Anubis said:
There is no need to worry about availability of DDR2 in future. If People can arrange outdated (8 years ago) SD 100Mhz ram from market then where will DDR2 stands.

MohitPreet said:

AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k

i think that shud be it

wat say?

hey Mohit

Your CPU choice is perfect for your need. But few things cannot be changed without changing motherboard such as RAM support.

Buy any 785G chipset with DDR3 RAM support.

Back