Budget 10-15K Need new phone with multicolour notification led

6pack

ex-Mod
Old phone is acting wonky. It shuts down when i get a phone call. :S

1. Budget?
A: INR 1k-15k

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 5" FHD or 2160p and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Nougat and above

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G, 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera, mails and internet & I want to watch youtube vids with 360 degree VR. Is magnetometer required for VR?

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual sim.

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, microSD card slot if internal storage < 32GB

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A:
Moto G5 or G5S. Seems to tick all boxes for now. Has good camera, good update history.

Lenovo K8 or 9 or 10 something. Don't know how fast Lenovo phones get updates though. Heard that the MTK phones dont get updates.

Was thinking of MI A1 but heard it has only single colour notification light. Redmi Note 4 is old now. Mi Mix is too big.

Honor 7/8/9 have some drawback - like Kirin processor and no updates.
Nokia 6 - ah, no. overpriced.

My first preference will be to phones that have a proven track record of getting OS updates. So its probably limited to phones with snap dragon chips now. Second preference to notification led.

I'm done with these impossible flash sales now. No matter how much I try I don't get to buy the stupid Note 5 Pro phone. I managed to get the 6GB version into the cart and next step it hanged and after sometime said its out of stock. Hell with this nonsense.

My old phone is dying and is on its last legs. Just a reboot makes it say that no sim cards installed and wifi dies every time the phone goes to sleep. Cannot wait any longer to buy a new phone now. I've waited 3 months already. :|

From now on I've decided to stay away from buying phones that go on flash sales no matter how good they are on paper.

Back to topic, I want a full hd or better 18:3 phone mainly to watch youtube live streams and browsing the net. Don't want a LG Q3 or was it Q6 because they make really poor quality phones. And no updates too.Don't want Xiaomi or Huawei or Honor because these companies do flash sales. I don't want Oppo or whatever the parent company of One Plus does.

Budget till 15k. Please suggest something I can buy this week.
https://www.flipkart.com/redmi-note...earch Page&ssid=dv4n21bx5c0000001520407728261

Brands you are left to select from are Nokia and Motorola it seems.

Why not get a stopgap solution till you get desired phone ?

noooo, i don't do stop gap. i usually stick with a phone till it dies completely. lets say i bought a very low end phone like redmi 5a, i would stick with it for 3-4 years till it stopped working. Its just my nature. All my other phones were used similarly for 2-3+ years till something wrong went with them that couldn't be resolved.

was going to buy the moto g5s plus and then saw @bssunilreddy's post and actually for the first time in my life i got to buy a phone from a flash sale. :rofl:

I'm done with these impossible flash sales now. No matter how much I try I don't get to buy the stupid Note 5 Pro phone. I managed to get the 6GB version into the cart and next step it hanged and after sometime said its out of stock. Hell with this nonsense.
Same here, was trying from last 3 flash sale on Flipkart as well as Mi.com, got today 6GB/64GB on Mi.com, BTW Congrats

noooo, i don't do stop gap. i usually stick with a phone till it dies completely. lets say i bought a very low end phone like redmi 5a, i would stick with it for 3-4 years till it stopped working. Its just my nature. All my other phones were used similarly for 2-3+ years till something wrong went with them that couldn't be resolved.

was going to buy the moto g5s plus and then saw @bssunilreddy's post and actually for the first time in my life i got to buy a phone from a flash sale. :rofl:

Is it multicolor, I read you cannot change the color of notification LED

Same here, was trying from last 3 flash sale on Flipkart as well as Mi.com, got today 6GB/64GB on Mi.com, BTW Congrats

Congrats to you too. :)

Is it multicolor, I read you cannot change the color of notification LED
Everyone says its white colour only. On xdaforums some people said we can use some android app made for moto phones to change led colour or something. I would have liked a multicolour led, but can't have everything now it seems. wonder why they like white led so much.

Wait, you wanted a note 5 pro. But that link is for normal note 5, not pro (?)

yup, i wanted a note 5 pro. it was still my first preference. i managed to put it in cart but it went oos while buying it. i know i bought the normal version, but like i said in other post above, i couldn't wait any longer because my current phone is not working properly any more now. i saw that the normal version was still in stock and bought it. if the Note 5 was oos, i would have bought the Moto G5S plus 64GB version a minute later from amazon.

yup, i wanted a note 5 pro. it was still my first preference. i managed to put it in cart but it went oos while buying it. i know i bought the normal version, but like i said in other post above, i couldn't wait any longer because my current phone is not working properly any more now. i saw that the normal version was still in stock and bought it. if the Note 5 was oos, i would have bought the Moto G5S plus 64GB version a minute later from amazon.
Is your phone shipped from Flipkart, mine is not from mi.com, the problem with mi.com is that they send it very late (too much delay)

@paarkhi, yes, i will get it today. i didn't buy from mi because they take a week to deliver according to their shipping estimates.

FK shipping is faster than even Amazon Prime for me. :S[DOUBLEPOST=1520513033][/DOUBLEPOST]I got the phone. I installed all the notification apps and none are working. I mean no notification light at all. I see a small white and dull notification light near the right edge. it only comes on when charging. i think after android nougat all the notification lights are disabled by google. each android version they remove something or another or make it even more difficult.[DOUBLEPOST=1520519405][/DOUBLEPOST]Useless phone. It keeps hanging every now and then like it got stuck somewhere. Should have got Moto g5s instead of this. :(

Edit: disabled all memory + battery optimizations and what not in developer options and now it works without any stuttering. without the stuttering, this is an awesome phone now.

Last edited:
Back