Need new router with USB port with budget up to ₹4,000

Not a good idea to try and stream media from router. It will not work the way you think it will and eventually you will be frustrated.
hence the reason of asking if the tv had an ethernet port.

tv ---ethernet----router--(usb)---HDD

dlna on the tv and the router means no lag to the tv but have to stream to mobiles or tabs. 1080p wont work via streaming. 720p and below will.[DOUBLEPOST=1428449776][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not before 22-23 April.
Then that is when you take your present router for a range test and tell us the results.

I believe you would connect the android dongle to your TV through HDMI and you would want to stream movies stored on your external hard disk by connecting it to a USB port on the router. Your android box will perform pretty well and will process anything you throw at it, but your router most probably can't feed it without delays. As explained in another post your router doesn't have enough oomph to do all these things if you plan on playing HD movies. How much did you pay for your dongle? If you can return it and try a raspberry pi solution, you might get some help here or on the raspberry pi forum. At least this is what I would do, as my experiences of playing HD movies on an archer C7 was not at all good. But the router with my file server delivers better results as it doesn't have the file server role anymore.
Noted your point. Earlier I had asked a member for few tests to check streaming. Results are overall good. Router being used is TP Link W8968 with a 2.5" 80GB HDD attached to it. Media used for testing were 720p with size 4GB+. Android stick is intended for more usage too like casual android gaming (for family members).

1080p wont work via streaming. 720p and below will.
That will do. Anyways not going to watch 1080p on tablet.

Then that is when you take your present router for a range test and tell us the results
Yes, since painting work will be going on I can not. Let see if it is possible to sneak in this weekend :p

Overall from the replies to thread, I feel best place for me to keep router would be near TV & PS3 area. It would enable me to connect most items on wire and better stability/reliability.

Yes, since painting work will be going on I can not. Let see if it is possible to sneak in this weekend :p

Overall from the replies to thread, I feel best place for me to keep router would be near TV & PS3 area. It would enable me to connect most items on wire and better stability/reliability.
You will have to place it on a shelf so its higher than the tv. less obstacles in the way the better.

and you will have to verify whether the signal level is acceptable in the second room on the right.

I have a TPLink 1043ND. I have attached my 2 TB hard disk to this router. Further, I use an android stick with my TV in the other room. For a better interface, I use a Gargoyle/OpenWRT firmware on my router. Besides the hard disk, I am have also attached a printer to the router (through a USB hub). I had to bother with setting this up just once. Now everything works seamlessly. Whenever I download a movie, I copy it to my external hard drive through the router. I have XBMC installed on the android stick and it runs by default when I turn on my TV. So all movies are there ready for me.

Yesterday got an update that I can not place router near TV & PS3 area as there is no space to pull a wire from outside in that area :(

Hence now only options left are passage or balcony. Assuming worst case scenario that I would have to keep it in balcony, I would need suggestions.

I'd suggest going for the Xiaomi Mi Router Mini in case Gigabit Ethernet ports are not a priority. Its the only AC router that fits in your price range. I have ordered one myself. Let's see how it turns out to be.
It's AC range is pathetic plus AC doesn't work on repeater mode.came to know by a friend.

Anyways please provide your opinion on the same.

I have got final permission to keep router in passage. To check signal strength, I took my existing router with me today to new place. When placed in passage, strength near TV area, after one wooden partition was around -40dBm. In balcony it dropped to approx -65dBm. Also in the room to right strength stayed in 60s.

Yes there is no wall but can not tinker wooden frame. I guess you thinking to get a wire to TV/PS3 and make streaming hassle free.

Yes there is no wall but can not tinker wooden frame. I guess you thinking to get a wire to TV/PS3 and make streaming hassle free.
Don't be offended please for my suggestion and please ignore if you feel it makes no sense. But if I can make a suggestion, please wait till you shift to the new place and test it out with your current devices. After that you can order the router you want and set it up within a week. I guess you can manage a week with some temporary arrangement? In any case you would be busy arranging stuff for at least a week.

Get some routers from friends/colleagues and test it out rather than buying something blind. Anyway it would seem unethical, but amazon does allow you to return if things doesn't work out properly. They have a liberal policy and we shouldn't be misusing it but once in a while it should be fine. You can buy a best option you have decided up till now and check if it suits your needs, else you know what to do? Just chill and have a nice weekend. Cheers

Don't be offended please for my suggestion and please ignore if you feel it makes no sense. But if I can make a suggestion, please wait till you shift to the new place and test it out with your current devices. After that you can order the router you want and set it up within a week. I guess you can manage a week with some temporary arrangement? In any case you would be busy arranging stuff for at least a week.

Get some routers from friends/colleagues and test it out rather than buying something blind. Anyway it would seem unethical, but amazon does allow you to return if things doesn't work out properly. They have a liberal policy and we shouldn't be misusing it but once in a while it should be fine. You can buy a best option you have decided up till now and check if it suits your needs, else you know what to do? Just chill and have a nice weekend. Cheers

Nothing to get offended buddy :)

With my current router I can check for range and signal strength which I sort of did yesterday. Since this one does not have USB port, I won't be able to test/check streaming things. Did you mean same ?

Yes check the signal and range by playing youtube content. Once you get some idea abt those stuff you can always choose the best and cheapest router solution. Just but a router with USB on amazon and then you know what to do.

My suggestion would be not to go for an overkill when we buy a low-mid level routers as their performance would be slightly better and makes no sense investing now for something which you are going to use 2 or 3 years down the lane.

Exactly, because i don't know how big your media files are. if you cant successfully stream to mobile or tab at least you are guaranteed problem free operation on the tv.

The problem with streaming over wifi is that its a shared medium. Say you are streaming to the tv then you can only do it to one client at a time. one 720p stream only.

What if somebody wants to watch something on the tv and you want to watch something else in the bedroom ? can't do it.

youtube is highly compressed so more are possible.

Last edited:
If I can get a wire there through a hole in wooden frame, what do you suggest to have ? A switch or a router like my current TP-Link 740N ? If wire is available, I would like to atleast connect TV, PS3 and Desktop via cable.

Yesterday I got my broadband back finally. I have placed router in middle room (kitchen) on left wall at almost mid point - kinda near centre of home.

Results are;
In left most room, strength varies between 45-65 dBm. In right most room its 55-70dBm. In same room where router is placed its approx 30-40dBm. This is decent. However I would be happy if can get some more.

Now I have a noob doubt. Does strength of signal gets degraded with age of router?

Also @blr_p I have got a LAN cable near TV & PS3 area :p So I would need one device there too.

On different aspect, I would have to send my current TP Link 740N for RMA as I can not reset it though I press that button for whatever duration and multiple times [emoji53]

What setup you guys suggest now?

Back