PC Peripherals Need pointers to buy power supply

vortex_mak

Disciple
Hi,

I have an old Athlon64 rig which I will be upgrading later to Corei5/7/ Phenom. A graphics card (single) is also on the cards (no pun intended). + 2-3 HDDs + DVD writer
I wont be doing any OC or fancy cooling stuff.

Please suggest a good power supply <2k which would be good for the next 4-5 years. I have been using the stock SMPS with my Navtech cabinets and I have been having problems with it.

I would be using it with a Numeric/APC 600VA UPS.

Thanks

Depending on your graphics card your PSU will have to be bought but if the card is anywhere above an ATi HD 5770, get a Corsair VX 550W or above rated PSU from Corsair, Cooler Master, Seasonic and FSP

If you will be able to give your estimated RIG purchase budget and configuration we will be able to pin point the solution for you :)
IMO minimum look for a Corsair CX 400 or FSP Saga II 350/450

prices
Corsair VX 550 ~ 4.5K
Corsair CX 400 ~ 2.5K
FSP Saga II ~ 2K/2.5K

All prices from Bangalore S.P. Road estimations not inclusive taxes hope this helps :)

Welcome to Corsair

Power Supply -> Real Power - Cooler Master

FSP GROUP ::pC Power Supply, IPC Power Supply, Medical Power Supply, Adapter, Open Frame::

harishgayatri said:
Pay a little more & Get the FSP Saga II 500W costing somewhere between Rs.2,100~2,300/-

It's worth it.
If that's the case he can be better of with the FSP Blue Storm II 500 it is 80+ certified ~ 3K inclusive taxes CTC Hyderabad :)

Guys,

Thanks for the info. But seriously, 3-4k is too much for me.

I dont have any plans for upgrade right now but seeing as my old rig is still doing its duty after 5 years, I would like to purchase a power supply which will last me for a long time. I want to buy one which will be adequate even if I upgrade my rig and go in for an i5/7 and a single graphics card.

Sorry, but I dont have a definite card model right now, but whichever I will buy at that time would be in the 4-8k range

How about power supplies from Mercury or Zebronics ? Arent they good enough ?

What should be the amp on the 12V line ? FSP states it as 17A while Zebronics 500W is 22A so shouldnt it be better ?

Zebronics - Power supply - Platinum Power Supply - Zeb - 500W

All these have Active PFC, wouldnt that be a problem with my UPS? I heard that Active PFC supplies have a problem with some UPSs

Thanks

The Zebronics and other local brands ( Mercury ), inflate the ratings of their power supply in case you want to go for decent yet cheap PSU look towards FSP Blue Storm 500 ~ 3K ( inclusive taxes in Hyderabad ) check out prices in S.P. Road or if you want other options there is only Cooler MAster eXtreme Power series 500W ~ 2.7K, you need the Active PFC on your PSU for stability and to make sure your system doesn't suffer from ripples in current + you really should invest in a decent SMPS otherwise it is no good if later your system starts having hiccups and ends up :dead:

eXtreme Power Plus 500W - Cooler Master ~ 2.5K

What you mention in Amp rating of FSP and Zebronics the ratings are not stable ratings but the max possible rating a PSU can deliver

Switched-mode power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hope this helps

^^ That pricing for FSP Blue Storm seems to be very good, but since the OP is not ready to spend 3K I recommended him FSP Saga II 500W for Rs.2,100~2,300/-

Regards,

FSP Saga II looks good . The only concern I have is that its an Active PFC SMPS, and my UPS which is a Numeric 600VA without pure Sine Wave. As per tangentray's stick'd post Active PFC SMPS have problems with normal approximated wave UPS's

Then I might as well buy a 450-500 Watt Passive/Non PFC SMPS

Any observations about that ?

Back