Need some help on networking!

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
A noob speaketh so please excuse! :ashamed:

Refer the pic below.

17044516.jpg

What do I've here:

-I've got a cable-based internet connection and as of today it's connected to the Atom rig which's used for downloading 24/7 and those occasional browsing.

-I've got a main rig which's used for watching HD and playing games.

-I'm getting a PS3 in another month's time. (Yay!)

Requirements:

1. I want all the 3 systems to get connected to the internet (atom-rig for d/ls, main-rig for occasional a/v and other updates, PS3 for PSN).

2. I want the atom-rig and the main-rig to be connected between each other so I could transfer the downloaded stuff from the former to the latter.

3. A HTPC or a network based media player could make it to the picture sometime later so add the future expandability as well! I remember stormblast telling me, he was able to stream HD from his comp thru the PS3 so I might not need this option at all!

What I'm going to need here?

Is it a router? If it's what make/model/price or if it's going to be something else do let me know!

PS: Please talk in layman's terms as I'm not very adept at networking.

Damngoodman666

Disciple
Jun 26, 2009
Ya , the Router is enough - look for LYNKSIS comes with 4 Ethernet ports & if u going for netgear i think USB port will not be available with in 3K model - i dono much in netgear

Lynksys is good -easy to install & share just entering IP & creating Subnet !!!

LaatSahab

Skilled
Jul 18, 2008
All u gonna need is a Switch, but it would be better if u go for a Linksys WiFi switch as PS3 has WiFi thus giving u 2 options to connect to it and moreover increasing the overall scope of future upgrade of the network. Which model to go for, well that will b answered by ur budget. :cool2:

I myself at home use my BSNL modem as network device, connecting my main A/V and HD rig to it via Ethernet, Download Laptop via both Ethernet and WiFi and my Phone via WiFi. Ocassionally friends do drop by and transfers are made over the network via WiFi. Deployment of HFS on the main rig allows me to access files even on my phone and whenever feel like streaming, I stream content via Icecast through VLC or dedicated Icecast server that I made in my final year project. :)

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod

TechHead

ex-Mod
Mar 19, 2005
^That's what I use. I've got my PS3 hooked up over wifi, phone over wifi, netbook over the wired LAN and my main PC. Streaming of DivX works over WiFi to the PS3. Just use this:

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com

Stormy streams 720p over a wired connection to the PS3 using that software.

Opinions divided over tomato and dd-wrt. SOme say it helps, some say it doesn't. YMMV.

LaatSahab

Skilled
Jul 18, 2008
The Tamatar firmware allows various options depending on the version. Some say that tamatar f/w has in-built torrent client & coupling it with USB port of a router like WRT series, u can use ext. HDD to make a low cost & low power d/l rig. *Correction mate, the f/w is Open-WRT & router is WRTSL54GS.

Naga

Skilled
Apr 5, 2005
How about the Linksys WRT110? Draft N and 4 ethernet ports. Just installed one for a friend and it works just fine. Bought it for 4k something.

In case u'd like to go wireless for ur HTPC (?) and/ or Atom+any lappies, N would be the way to go. Another friend is using his PS3 to stream HD movies from his main rig and it's not much of a joy. Why switch on the PC to watch a movie on the PS3? Unless there's a budget constraint, an independent HTPC or atleast a WD player is the way to go.

Edit: This looks yummy http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/wdtv-killer-is-here-139561.html

TechHead

ex-Mod
Mar 19, 2005
Gannu said:
Cool! What was the price you paid for it back then? And have you been using the stock f/w or the tamatar f/w? :p

And what's with that link? A d/l for a PS3 media server? Used for streaming MM content thru the PS3 from the PC?

TIA

Yes, the software will stream MM to a PS3, incl. 720p HD streams from a PC. Works quite well. Check with stormy.

stormblast

Skilled
Mar 27, 2005
Have replied to your pm. Should answer most of your doubts. let me know if you need any further help. You will understand some things when you setup the whole thing.

Ps3 media server will stream 720p & also 1080p mkv's in a wired network to the ps3.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Update: Alright I've setup the router and moved the atom shoe-box rig to the top of my shelf as I no longer need access using the input devices.

As of now the atom download system and the main systems are connected between each other. I could comfortably stream 1080p .mkv files from the atom rig without lags. :D

Get a transfer of 11MB/s between file transfers from one system to the other which seems to be pretty decent for LAN. Oh and icing on the cake - I can access WiFi on the iTouch from the toilet! Talk about browsing and watching youtube videos. :p

All the setup misses right now is a PS3 which might make it in a while!

Would like to thank Phreeaky, thexfactor and Magnet for helping me out. :p