Need some serious advice..

i would say to listen to some buddha tracks....lounge music...try to be away from computer .....and keep some snacks and things for which u dont have to leave ur room....read a lot...first by reading sake just read your course materials...and then also try to switch to other stuff that u like to read and change back to course lol

dis might just work for you...

Lord Nemesis said:
My honest opinion is that unless you are absolutely interested in the subject it will not do you much good. If you are keenly interested in the field you are in now, then don't try to spend your time and effort on something else in which you are not interested and rather spend it on learning more on the subject/area you love and really interested in and it will help you in the long run.

Those are real words of wisdom..:) Actually u are rite, i just joined this course in a haste...lol..i was so interested in adding a PG feather to my cap...actually, in architecture, very few do masters because tht doesnt really make much sense..ppl join any firm as soon as they complete their degree..i did it too..but soon got bored...but since animation was a field i was interested from the very beginning, i decided to give it a shot..when i completed my hsc, there was no graduate course in animation in pune or mumbai university..(i guess, thr isnt any, even now..:no: )...or i wud have opted for it straight away then..

So the only option left for me to do a pg was an mba..i thought of doing mca, but tht meant giving in 3 yrs more..plus, mca meant attending practicals on a regular basis which was not possible for me..tht is why the only logical option left for me was to get an mba..but really...all tht management jargon sometimes becomes a really hard to understand..but i think, instead of leaving it mid way like this, i shud just complete it anyhow...:hap5:

kippu said:
wow a archi in vfx .... and now moving to mgment .... good show dude...u still owe to show me your vfx works

u do realise whats wrong though... i am sure you were not into books when u were in archi it was more design and creativity and now books.... eww .... the change is gonna be hard.... which college were u in SAP?

yeah man..i know..actually all my personal work on my showreel is stalled for the time being..got a project deadline to meet...:no:n now these friggin exams...:mad:.. i'll let u know as soon as i upload my stuff(hell..its all in bits n pieces currently..gonna collect 'em all from my institute as well, for my showreel...) Btw, i was at bharti vidyapeeth...:)

Sirusness said:
i would say to listen to some buddha tracks....lounge music...try to be away from computer .....and keep some snacks and things for which u dont have to leave ur room....read a lot...first by reading sake just read your course materials...and then also try to switch to other stuff that u like to read and change back to course lol

As a matter of fact, i do read a lot...hell, but those are not course books..lol..:lol: i can read novels all day long with not a hint of feeling tired..but give me a management book, n it'll work like a potent dose of sleeping pills for me..:lol: Actually i think what lord nemesis said is true..u need to be interested in the field to actually persue it..i guess, tht fire is lacking here..but its just too late..i cannot let go on it now...tht way i'll loose a lot of confidence in myself...i cannot falter n fail like this..:no:

The point I am trying to say is that its not difficult to study and learn even while you are doing a job, when you are really interested in the subject.

Excellent advice, if you don't love what you are learning, you will never excel in it.

My degree was actually in character animation, and I later realized that I found it really tedious. That's why I do matte painting and compositing, I enjoy it a whole lot better :) and find it more creative for my artistic outlet.

If you really enjoy Vfx, you should go into it deeper. There is a top school in Southern California and I am pretty sure they have online courses, it is one of the best in the biz, and is called the Gnomon School of Visual Effects.
They offer about everything you can want, and a lot of it is online. Here are some links for you.

Gnomon School of Visual Effects

GNOMON ONLINE

The Gnomon Workshop

Matte Painting Production Techniques

being an archi myself and doing gfx .... i can give you this "Serious advice" , just dont do something for a degree which wont make sense 6 months from now, do what you like and dont force yourself to like this studying ...

ok, mite sound a a lil funny advice, but i am hell serious.

you have a gf or wife???

if yes, ask her to help you out. tell her to reward you eith a date/kiss/hug etc for each lil thing you complete in ur syllabus. if that doesn't help, what will...

if no, ask your parents to reward you in terms of money etc for the syllabus, lil tit bits for lil tit bits. if they are willing, that is. or do some self incentive scheme.

once you get a good incentive, nothing will stop you!

:) See you have to decide what is more important to you...net or getting good grades...if net is such a pain then well remove the net...you might say what? but people have done a lot more for their studies.....

rite said:
you have a gf or wife???

if yes, ask her to help you out. tell her to reward you eith a date/kiss/hug etc for each lil thing you complete in ur syllabus. if that doesn't help, what will...

TB, you are 16 rite? Ah well then its okay!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@ Ryan - Bro, you already know what to do..Cut down on TE and movies man..Atleast till the exams get over :p

Artful dodger said:
If you really enjoy Vfx, you should go into it deeper. There is a top school in Southern California and I am pretty sure they have online courses, it is one of the best in the biz, and is called the Gnomon School of Visual Effects.

They offer about everything you can want, and a lot of it is online.

Hell yeah..i know about gnomon very well..:) actually, most of the tuts i download from the torrents are actually from gnomon..:p but gotta say this, n well, this is not just my view..Gnomon provides too less for too much money..even at my workplace (MAAC) there is this general impression about gnomon tht they are only there to make money... i'm seriously thinkin of applying to VFS, vancouver...but i need to get some experience first..:hap5:

kippu said:
being an archi myself and doing gfx ....

Hmmm...an archi..n now into gfx...:p

rite aka TB said:

Lol...i keep getting those for free...:p dont think it'll make much difference if i get it after i complete a course book..:p jus jkin...;) Lets see if this works as an excuse to get a date/kiss/hug from my gf...lol..:lol:

raj_pol said:
you might say what? but people have done a lot more for their studies.....

:ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed:

Those are some stern words...:ashamed: hell, i need more sterns words...they really work, man...thanks...:eek:hyeah:(actually m all grown up or else a good smack in the a$$ wud have helped me...:lol:..)

Amd4life said:
@ Ryan - Bro, you already know what to do..Cut down on TE and movies man..Atleast till the exams get over

You are right yaar...well, i see some difference already...i have decided to use net (TE..lol) for 2 hrs max...n yeah...have really started with the course..lol..read the preface twice...hell, thts more interesting...:rofl: jus jkin...:p..actually went thru a few pages....but have to agree its a pain..but i think perseverance will pay off...so i'm going to stick to it like fevicol now...:ashamed:

telling you, best way is to get some nice INCENTIVE (anything which acts like one for you). Everything else follows: determination, hard work etc, everything follow. You need some incentive!

All of the art schools are expensive... and I mean seriously expensive. It is not just about how good the school is... ( but of course this is really important) but the connections you make with your fellow classmates while in school...they can help launch and keep your carreer going. You will meet many like minded people while in school, and the schools reuptation will make some diffence when applying for work. Now I'm not saying that a good demo reel is unimpoortant... but there are a lot of different factors to consider and they all work together to form the big picture.

You may also want to look at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.. It has a good program, and you will see pro's from companies like Pixar, and ILM teaching classes there.

but i need to get some experience first..

In most cases you do not need any experience to go to any of these schools, in fact the sooner you start the sooner you finish... you will learn from the ground up, and they will teach you all the basics you need to get started - delaying will not help you significantly in going to or applying to these schools. If you are truly serious, you shouldn't wait as time will just fly by......

yeah man...even vfs, canada courses are very expensive...but, guess paying up now may help me in the long run..:S N i agree, networking with friends helps a lot to get going in this field...btw, i've also heard rave reviews about art center college of design,pasadena..how good is tht...their alumni lineup is just awesome...one of the best creative minds, i guess..:O

in fact the sooner you start the sooner you finish...

Totally agree..but actually, was thinking maybe, a good showreel will be plus when applying for the colleges..i mean they keep getting applications every day..it may prove to be a plus point...:)

good showreel will be plus when applying for the colleges

If this is for undergad you won't need one in most colleges.

If this is for Masters... yes you will :)

Art center pasadena.. very hard to get in to and one of the most expensive... I considered it, but too much $'s for me ;) If you can afford it, it is an awesome school.

If you are worried about having a reel or not, you can always contact the school you are interested in and ask them what their requirements are :D

If this is for Masters... yes you will

Surely i'll do a masters now...i mean..i'm already a grad...hell..spent 5 friggin years in Archi..:( So i guess, i need to get my a$$bag up n start working seriously on my show reel...:no: )

Art center pasadena.. very hard to get in to and one of the most expensive... I considered it, but too much $'s for me If you can afford it, it is an awesome school.

Hell, tht makes it out of bounds for me as well..:( Btw, which course were u thinking of enrolling there? And how much was the asking price..err..fees..lol :p ;)

Lord Nemesis said:
The point I am trying to say is that its not difficult to study and learn even while you are doing a job, when you are really interested in the subject. I do study and learn new things in the subject that I am interested in. The difficulty comes when you are not really interested in the subject, but for some reason or the other you still want to pursue the subject. In your case its very clear that you are not really interested in the subject, but doing it just for the sake of getting the degree. If you were really interested you would have been ready to take up any exam by now.

My honest opinion is that unless you are absolutely interested in the subject it will not do you much good. If you are keenly interested in the field you are in now, then don't try to spend your time and effort on something else in which you are not interested and rather spend it on learning more on the subject/area you love and really interested in and it will help you in the long run.

Same thing happened with me... :no:

i am in third year I.T and i just hate coding...was never interesting in programming still got into I.T thinkin that its not all abt programming but hell here..its all prograaming :( plus though i would develop interest in it..

I have zero interest in it..Just desperately waiting to get my B.E..

Anytips for the doin the job that ur not interested in :ashamed:

Damn i wish i had taken another field.. well ws kinda interested in Computers and debuggin and general related stuff...so got into IT :mad: :mad:

@space screamer - thanx for ur 1st post :hap2: kinda gave me what we call JOSH :bleh:

Back