Need suggestions for induction stove?

ubergeek

Skilled
Hey guys,
I want buy an induction stove for making rice,dosa's and boiling water and stuff like that.
Pease reccomend me some really god ones :D

Thanks

for making rice, boiling water, methinks a rice cooker is better, else your stove will be tied up with the rise for a loong time.

I've been using the Bajaj ICX7 induction cooker for over a year and a half, and have found it very reliable. For making dosas you need induction-base pans. Do make sure to get one.
As for rice cooking, I concur with greenhorn. It would be better to get yourself a basic rice cooker. Else, buy an induction-base pressure cooker.

Ok i will be using the actual stove for cooking rice for other stuff like heating and making dosas or hapitas or maggi ill be using the induction stove
@logistopath

How is the ASS? and also the power consumption? my mom will be cooking on it mostly so when it comes to useability will it be easy to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ubergeek Haven't had the opportunity to test the ASS. No problems faced yet. Regarding the power consumption, it would be negligible. If your induction stove has a maximum power capacity of 2000W, and you use it at this maximum setting for 1 hour, then your power consumption would amount to 2000Whr or 2 kWhr or 2 units. Now, unless you want to boil gallons of water, you will not be using this much power. Most of the cooking can be done in a matter of 10 to 15 mins at a power setting of 400 to 600W. That is my personal experience.
@greenhorn Again, not really sure. I don't think the stove I use has touch sensitive buttons. The buttons feel like those in remotes.

Always wanted to ask this but couldn't. Is there an apparent difference in the taste of the food when cooked using an induction stove?

Say for an instance you cook a banana (not the usual small ones but the fat lengthy ones; the Keralites would be familiar with the species I am referring to here!), the difference was noticeable if it was cooked using a gas stove (i.e. simply roll a banana over the burner using mild flame; taste was okay), the traditional chulha (used to do this at our native place and yields THE best taste hands down) and a microwave oven (pathetic taste! AVOID!). Do we have similar concerns if cooked using an induction stove?

greenhorn, logistopath

@Gannu Stuff like what you are saying that need to be cooked directly on a flame or smoked, will definitely taste different when using flameless cooking methods. For conventional stuff like sambar, rasam, vegetables, etc there is zero difference between cooking on a gas stove and using an induction stove.
@ubergeek That should do fine. It is just a lesser variant of ICX7, with the most important difference being a maximum power rating of 1600W, compared to 2100W in the ICX7. For most occasions, even 1600W is plentiful.

nah, taste of food is fine, but frying pappadams is a pain, and proper appams is virtually impossible on a flat base cooktop. Gannu, I think for what you were looking for, an induction stove will absolutely NOT work. you need an OTG, preferably with a rotisserie. Added Bonus: you can make proper tasting pizzas and tikkas all that with it too.

PS: Usually having more power can't hurt, but make sure that your power outlet can give more than 5A. with the full 2000W, my Circuit breaker for that line occasionally trips

@logistopath

DUde got the induction stove and i have a doubt,
The preset timer is not working i think because after i set the preset timer to 2minutes it blinks for 5 seconds and remains static and after that the induction cooker switches off! according to the manual i have to set the preset timer and the induction stove will automatically start the count down but for me it does not happen.
can you clarify on this?

@ubergeek I have the ICX7, in which there are separate controls for preset and for timer. In ICX6, there seems to be one common control for both. I believe you want the stove to shut down after two minutes of cooking. In that case, you have to use the timer mode. BTW, I have no idea about the preset mode. It probably starts the cooker after the specified time, but I'm not sure.

^^Exactly.. That's why I'm thinking maybe you are using it in the wrong mode (in preset mode), rather than the timer mode. In ICX7, I use the timer mode to highlight the clock, and use the arrows to adjust to the required cooking time, and leave it. It blinks a few times and then starts the countdown.

Back