Budget 51-70k Need suggestions on a system for CAD applications

Gdn - TD

Disciple
I'm looking for suggestions for my friend who is building a system for office related work. Any suggestions on what we should be looking for in a system when the main purpose is CAD applications?

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD FX 8320
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - HD7770 1GB
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 MHz
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No, this will the final configuration
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Mainly used for CAD applications like Ansys, Abaqus and Hypermesh
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No preference
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strictly for CAD applications; no games.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. No preference
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

I'm looking for suggestions for my friend who is building a system for office related work. Any suggestions on what we should be looking for in a system when the main purpose is CAD applications?

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD FX 8320
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - HD7770 1GB
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 MHz
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No, this will the final configuration
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Mainly used for CAD applications like Ansys, Abaqus and Hypermesh
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No preference
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strictly for CAD applications; no games.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. No preference
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

AMD FX 8320 -10850,
Asus M5A97 R2.0 -6735,
Sapphire HD7770 1GB -8250,
Asus 24B5ST DVDRW -1150,
Corsair GS600 -4560,
WD Black 2TB -8000
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -4000,
Corsair H60 Cooler -3700,
Dell 22" ST2220L LED -8000,
Logitech Gaming Combo G100 -1650,
NZXT Source 210 Elite -2900.
TOTAL -59,795.

Right, there is no use of water cooler. But try to add more cabinet fans for good ventilation.

Remove Logitech gaming combo as you mentioned no games, use Logitech MK200 Combo Rs 900

Also buying a single 2TB disk and using it as boot is not advisable due to their high failure rate. Instead of that use 1TB or 2x1TB if you need more storage.

Same case with RAM, instead of 1x8GB, go with 2x4GB.

If you are not overclocking there is no reason to spend money on a watercooler.

+1 Instead
Go for CM Hyper 212 Evo .... Rs 2580

PSU - You can also look st Seasonic
520W .... Rs 3930 or
620W .... Rs 4945

Also check whether you can squeeze in an SSD drive 128GB (for your OS + main apps), this will give your system amazing performance & speed
Samsung 840 Pro Series - Rs 8249

CABINET - Look at Various Options from Coolermaster; Bitfenix or Antec (you can select your price range, say 1205 to 3000 & chose from here). Do not go for any other brand than the ones suggested (include NZXT also).

Except for the SSD, I have sourced prices from theitdepot - Chennai (your hometown).

Just 1 Querry to folks on TE - Don't you think a GPU of 1GB VRAM will be inadequate for OP's CAD apps ? I think he needs a 2GB at least (I am aware of budget constraints), but any options???

Cheers
Enjoy
Terry

Right, there is no use of water cooler. But try to add more cabinet fans for good ventilation.

Remove Logitech gaming combo as you mentioned no games, use Logitech MK200 Combo Rs 900

Also buying a single 2TB disk and using it as boot is not advisable due to their high failure rate. Instead of that use 1TB or 2x1TB if you need more storage.

Same case with RAM, instead of 1x8GB, go with 2x4GB.

Valid points. Agreed..

+1 Instead
Go for CM Hyper 212 Evo .... Rs 2580

PSU - You can also look st Seasonic
520W .... Rs 3930 or
620W .... Rs 4945

Also check whether you can squeeze in an SSD drive 128GB (for your OS + main apps), this will give your system amazing performance & speed
Samsung 840 Pro Series - Rs 8249

CABINET - Look at Various Options from Coolermaster; Bitfenix or Antec (you can select your price range, say 1205 to 3000 & chose from here). Do not go for any other brand than the ones suggested (include NZXT also).

Except for the SSD, I have sourced prices from theitdepot - Chennai (your hometown).

Just 1 Querry to folks on TE - Don't you think a GPU of 1GB VRAM will be inadequate for OP's CAD apps ? I think he needs a 2GB at least (I am aware of budget constraints), but any options???

Cheers
Enjoy
Terry

Regarding the SSD, I was thinking of the same thing. 1 TB + an SSD. I was thinking of Crucial M4 128 GB.

The CM Hyper 212 Evo suggestion looks good as well. Thanks for that.

Regarding the GPU, the friend said that his CAD applications used more CPU than GPU. Don't know more than that though..

This is a new suggestion for PSU's (you might want to look into it)
FSP Aurum 500W 80+ Gold certified ..... Rs 4500/- (from Mumbai)

Another TE Member @axis.meister just ordered one of them
(go through the very interesting discussion)[DOUBLEPOST=1365470470][/DOUBLEPOST]
Regarding the SSD, I was thinking of the same thing. 1 TB + an SSD. I was thinking of Crucial M4 128 GB.

The best are in this order Samsung Pro Series > OCZ Vertex 4 > Crucial/Intel

I believe OCZ Vertex 4 stocks have dissapeared from the market & will take time until they are replenished.

This is a new suggestion for PSU's (you might want to look into it)
FSP Aurum 500W 80+ Gold certified ..... Rs 4500/- (from Mumbai)

Another TE Member @axis.meister just ordered one of them
(go through the very interesting discussion)[DOUBLEPOST=1365470470][/DOUBLEPOST]

The best are in this order Samsung Pro Series > OCZ Vertex 4 > Crucial/Intel

I believe OCZ Vertex 4 stocks have dissapeared from the market & will take time until they are replenished.

I'm not very keen on the PSU but thanks for the link anyway. I have a OCZ Vertex myself. Thanks for the suggestions..

Back