Need suggestions on Pets

Tenzin

Disciple
I'm planning to gift a friend a small pet, more like a hamster or maybe a bird, on her birthday.
Thing is, I have no idea about pets in general and how much they cost.
What do you guys think about gifting an animal lover the above pets?
Any thing that I should be aware of regarding such smaller animals?
And I would be grateful if anyone could recommend me any pet shops in delhi, preferably in south delhi.
My budget isn't much though :(
Only around 2k. I know I won't get anything in that budget, but I can always try my luck.
Tried to google regarding pet shops and all, but all I found were listings on olx, quickr etc.

I think it will be better if you gift her something else instead of pet..

if you are very much keen on gifting her a pet, please do take care that her family do love the pet alot + the girl is ready to take care of the pet. By chance if she don't love the pet, then it will surely create a major problem for the loonie :(

If you zeroed down on gifting pet, then Gift her some sought of bird like parrot or love bird which are easy to take care of, or you can also buy her a mid-size aquarium with 2-3 fish (Never go for gold fish with small pot). Keep distance from any sorts of dogs since all people tastes are different.

@Being.smart I thought a lot about it, but really couldn't think of anything to gift. (choosing a gift sometimes is such a PITA :|)
Thankfully, her family also loves animals so that isn't much of a problem.
I'm thinking of a bird maybe, that seems to be easy to take care too. Just hoping to get something within budget :unsure:
Dogs are out of the equation anyway, due to budget and what you wrote.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Fish ?? Though people the pet is going to be with are animal lovers, it shouldn't become burden on them which might lead to negligence while taking care of concerned pet...

Love birds are a good option!

But i would not suggest birds if she has an apartment, because they keep on chirping always and that can be a headache. They are better out in the verandah !
also, they generally eat this somekind of grain and the husk flies around , under the cage, it will be dirty !
Used to have a few when i was a kid :)

How much does a hamster cost?

Love birds and Hamsters are good option imho. No heavy maintenance, also you don't have to pay a lot of money over their foods. They do have a very short life (an year may be). There is a hamster at my sister's place, which is a very cute pet. I just love to play around with it and most importantly, kids love Hamsters :)

Love birds would cost you like 500 bucks + cage which ranges from 500 to few thousands. Same applies for Hamster, which costs around 800 to thousand bucks plus the cage.

Don't go for dog or cat.

Guys thank you so much for your replies! Really appreciated.
Well, she's my best friend, so I think that is quite a versatile situation.
I'm not so sure about fish, don't really think that would be a better option than birds or hamster. @Rahull++ Oh! that looks quite within budget, especially the love birds if the rate is around that. I heard the hamster cages cost around 2-3k :O. That would be a dealbreaker.
I love hamsters though, really really adorable and its a different feeling altogether when you hold them and play with them. :p

dont gift a pet , if she wants one then she probably would have got one ... Certain people cannot handle pets even if they are animal lovers and sometimes they cant take it if it dies, if you still want to gift , take her to the pet store and buy it with her

Keeping birds and hamsters in cages is cruel.
How'd you like it if you were kidnapped from your home, sold, and kept in a tiny cage for the rest of your life?

If your friend is an animal lover, then get her a dog or cat, something she can love and care for while letting it have a decent life.

And if you are buying a pet, don't buy one from a store. They keep them in atrocious conditions, shortening their lifespan, and the overcrowded conditions cause them to be infected with diseases.

^^ trollllll :D

anyways What kippu said is right! if they wanted a pet, they would have bought one themselves. Make sure , she is open to having a pet at her place now !

blkrb0t - would be better to gift a unicorn then.
W@rrier
- Good point, but I think not everyone would be having a pet even if they love animals and can raise them.
We're(my family) pet lovers too, and we've only got a pet dog recently(a year), that too as a gift from someone. Before that, for some reason or the other, we didn't have the extra family member; but when it came, it was blissful :D I can say its the same case there too.

tumblr_m4e98dWqB21qkrbwao4_1280.jpg

Maintaining pets is not a easy thing esp. when you go out who would take care of it? That's the big question always with pets. One does not always have others around willing to take care of pets. That's the only reason that has prevented me from getting any for my kids - till date.

Strongly suggest to take her clearance (surprise aspect would be gone of course!) before getting her (or, anyone for that matter) pets.

If she in fact is an animal lover (and not someone who just goes "chooo chweet" at every critter) why dont you donate to the SPCA/blue cross/local animal shelter in her name? or sponsor an animal from the local zoo for a month? (this system exists in pune, not sure about other places)

why not make it a plant instead of an animal?

That's a very good suggestion IMO.

Somehow I've never come across a household in our country having a Hamster as a pet. Any idea how expensive a hamster is? Looks pretty cute. And a bit hygienic than rats! :p

@Gannu Hamsters are gaining popularity these days as they are really easy to maintain. Especially for small households, for those having space constraints.
I think they cost 1800 for a pair with the cost of their home costing extra. :)

Back