Need to Add Wifi Support to my Desktop PC

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hi,

I need to add Wifi Capability to Machine. I searched a bit and it seems there are two ways:

1) Wifi PCI Card

2) USB Dongle

My requirements are:

1) Should work 24/7 for long hours without any disconnection issues,driver problems or something like this. means it should be reliable as the Wired LAN Card

2) Should work with Windows 7 & Ubuntu

Any suggestions with costs?

I would suggest getting a decent PCI card. I've seen people say that they have dropped connections with USB dongles.

I use a PCI card myself, but one that has an extended antenna. Something like this. So even if your case is in a recess, the connection will be quite good.

uYqQN.jpg

Using an ASUS USB dongle. Absolutely no drop in connectivity. Did not want to go for the internal card since the setup is all ready cluttered due to 2 GPUs. Has a driver CD and all works quite easy out-of-the-box.

This was the part. You would need to confirm non-M$ compatibility.

I'm alos looking for a wifi adapter, same asus model - PCE-N13 :D

but my doubt is -

is it possible to use this PCI- wifi adapter in desktop for sharing docomo 3G USB donlge internet with laptop & mobile phones?

it states
Software AP mode allows the WLAN card to act as a virtual access point. The computer needs to be connected to a wired network using an Ethernet connection in order to provide network access to WLAN client.

Back