Need to buy a Windows Mobile Phone - WHich one?

The phone is totally worth the price (or rather the lack of it)

Works as fast or as slow as any other mid-end WM phone (Since all mid-end WM phones have the same TO OMAP 850 processor and 64MB RAM/128 MB ROM)

The screen is decent

The GPS chipset is a sirfstar III which is one of the best in the business

And it came along with a full set of accessories including a car mount

The only con vs a comparable HTC is the looks...HTC designers do a better job on their phones

If you are not bothered about the looks and watch a functional WM phone, this phonbe should definitely be on your list

superczar said:
The phone is totally worth the price (or rather the lack of it)

Works as fast or as slow as any other mid-end WM phone (Since all mid-end WM phones have the same TO OMAP 850 processor and 64MB RAM/128 MB ROM)

The screen is decent

The GPS chipset is a sirfstar III which is one of the best in the business

And it came along with a full set of accessories including a car mount

The only con vs a comparable HTC is the looks...HTC designers do a better job on their phones

If you are not bothered about the looks and watch a functional WM phone, this phonbe should definitely be on your list

The P527 takes care of the looks department but you need to blow 4k more for the looks and Wi-Fi :rofl:What BS :p

Actually the P527 looks worse..but then thats me.

The reason why the 527 is more expensive is coz it comes pre-loaded with licensed version of destinator and All-India maps from Satguide

superczar said:
Actually the P527 looks worse..but then thats me.

Is it so ? :ashamed: Looks so much better in pics :p

superczar said:
The reason why the 527 is more expensive is coz it comes pre-loaded with licensed version of destinator and All-India maps from Satguide

And that is good or bad ? :p

Freaky said:
Any suggestions on a Win MO brand that is backed by good service ? Why would you want to go about convincing people of ASUS as a mobile brand ? At least, not me. I buy and use a phone for the features that it offers me and not to show-off or convince others that it's indeed a phone.

As for the prices, that's the way it always goes in electronic items. You cant help it

This true that Asus Prices have been droping like a rock from 10 story building since the launch of phones. Look at HTC touch When it was launched almost a year back it was 19K. I was getting it then for 17.5K.And today its still for 15.5K. Thats what he is talking about.

I have used Asus for 15 Days. It is no where close to HTC. Speaker is Bad, Signal is bad, Loud speaker is worse. HTC is way ahead in built quality.

I have used Asus for 15 Days. It is no where close to HTC. Speaker is Bad, Signal is bad, Loud speaker is worse. HTC is way ahead in built quality.
don't know about HTC but the reception is at par with a Nokia N73 and the SQ and loudspeaker sound fine to me

I am seriously considering P526 or 527. The question is any software is available like touchflo as in HTC. Is there any stable roms available for winmo 6.1. please repy

Since my last phone was an iphone , i am not too keen on a bad me-too multi touch implementation like the touchflo..

A good task manager and an applauncher like claunch is all i need to modify a WM phone for my needs

Haven't looked around for 6.1 ROMs as yet though I am really not sure what benefits it offers...

Here is a quick take on the phone so far

Most reviews on the net for this phone carry ok to bad ratings ...mostly because the phone has been reviewed at an average price point of $500+

The Good:

• The price
  • The weight - it weighs much less than would you would expect from the way it looks
  • Great accessory bundle - best accessories bundle I have ever seen with any device --- included a nice casing, a (great quality) car mount, a car charger and even an extra stylus
  • Dedicated key/screen lock rocker switch on the side

The bad:

• No 4 way joystick/pad - what were asus designer thinking?
  • Lacks QWERTY keyboard
What I couldn't care less about

• The phone seems as sluggish or as fast as other (which means most) WM devices with a TI OMAP 850 processor and 64 MB RAM
  • Seems fairly stable- Hasn't crashed on me during regular usage so far
  • The camera quality - Fair, nothing great, not bad either... can't expect too much from a fixed focus camera anyway
  • The GPS chipset is a sirfstar III chipset. However, my car PCs GPS unit (same chipset) picks a lock much faster than the GPS on this device
  • No wi-fi - I personally have no need for wi-fi on my phone - For some, it could be a deal breaker
  • It's good to have a keypad on a phone - I can live with pulling out the stylus for PDA functions but definitely not for making calls

gmano said:
Stay away from HTC, HTC service is not good. Also you will not get any accessories, if you would require later. Build quality of the HTC is also not that good.

As we discussed over phone, check the Asus mobiles. P526 and P527, comes with GPS. Price is also decent.

After all HTC is a Chinese Company...........:eek:hyeah:

When i compared between P526 and P527. The difference i found is as follows

1. Bluetooth v2.0 with A2DP

2. FM radio

3. 2mp auto focus cam

4. Bundled maps

5. Wifi b/g

6. It has jog dial

The price difference is 4k between the two. But IMO its worth by 2-2.5k more than P526.

when i saw P527 it has brushed steel look. The casing is made of steel or plastic?

superczar said:
Since my last phone was an iphone , i am not too keen on a bad me-too multi touch implementation like the touchflo..

A good task manager and an applauncher like claunch is all i need to modify a WM phone for my needs

Haven't looked around for 6.1 ROMs as yet though I am really not sure what benefits it offers...
Here is a quick take on the phone so far

Most reviews on the net for this phone carry ok to bad ratings ...mostly because the phone has been reviewed at an average price point of $500+

The Good:
  • The price
  • The weight - it weighs much less than would you would expect from the way it looks
  • Great accessory bundle - best accessories bundle I have ever seen with any device --- included a nice casing, a (great quality) car mount, a car charger and even an extra stylus
  • Dedicated key/screen lock rocker switch on the side
The bad:
  • No 4 way joystick/pad - what were asus designer thinking?
  • Lacks QWERTY keyboard
What I couldn't care less about
  • The phone seems as sluggish or as fast as other (which means most) WM devices with a TI OMAP 850 processor and 64 MB RAM
  • Seems fairly stable- Hasn't crashed on me during regular usage so far
  • The camera quality - Fair, nothing great, not bad either... can't expect too much from a fixed focus camera anyway
  • The GPS chipset is a sirfstar III chipset. However, my car PCs GPS unit (same chipset) picks a lock much faster than the GPS on this device
  • No wi-fi - I personally have no need for wi-fi on my phone - For some, it could be a deal breaker
  • It's good to have a keypad on a phone - I can live with pulling out the stylus for PDA functions but definitely not for making calls

Nice review mate. How about the speaker phone loudness and clarity.

3. 2mp auto focus cam

Aww, shucks...I did not know the 527 has an auto focus cam else I'd have picked that one up :(

I was under the impression that the only difference between the two is the wifi module

the 526 does has the jog dial though

The speakerphone IMO is quite loud though the speakerphone mic sensitivity is not all that great

Conversations in regular mode are as good or as bad as a regular Nokia or Samsung

PS: What a shame I did not notice the AF aspect of the P527

Let me know if you are interested in a <1 week old P526 at a fair discount (I've already loaded the Satguide and mapmyindia maps on it)

Whats the price of P527 in wavetel. when i checked online its Rs700 costlier than indiaplaza which retails at 15999. Within a month Indiaplaza price fell by 600. I heard some ppl bought for 15.5K at that time so it can be 15K now my sweet spot. I am buying this phone for gps. Any idea about its accuracy superczar?

the gps chipset is a sirfstar III which is the most widely used GPS chipset in most navigation devices

It's not the phone's accuracy you need to worry about but the accuracy of the maps that are currently available for India :p

For the accuracy of currently available maps, refer this thread:

http://www.techenclave.com/general-portables/the-gps-thread-redux-112334.html?highlight=redux

PSI still feel like kicking myself for not noticing the AF aspect of the P527..anyone interested in a very lightly used P526 ;)

Back