Need to buy oven

r19

Disciple
Never had one, need to buy one for mother. Will need to cook food in good quantity for at least 3 people. For example 3 medium pizza or such. Few things I know that would be cooked are things like sweet potato, pizza, pasta, patties, cakes. But I don't know what all you can do in convection vs OTG. Also it seems in OTG you can cook multiple items but Convection is faster. Another I was thinking of getting OTG + simple oven. Some OTGs have digital display but most don't not sure if it would be really needed. Not sure what size to buy too. Was thinking of this https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M04ZN32...d=2SL59KB23YQCE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im but suddenly it has shot up from 7k to 10k and doesn't have a digital display too. I also can't find good company models above 30l, especially in OTG, where I could only find the phillips 27l one at 7k on Amazon. Of course, I can wait through the sale for better offer

Just do yourself a favor and buy Morphy Richards one in whatever size you want. It comes recommended from many amateur and semi-professional bakers. A 30L one should actually be enough for 3 pizzas, but Morphy has sizes upto 60L,if you want. Convection modes help in eliminating hot spots by blowing hot air inside the oven and helps for uniform baking.
I have a very old OTG which I use and I literally measured the usable area and it came to 6L. The product mentions capacity as 16L.

Morphy is a premium version of Bajaj. In OTG there is not much complication like controls etc. It is a heater with 2 coils, fan, rotisserie. I use Borosil and quite happy with it. Buy as large as you can, depending on space availability.

There are some bad reviews of Morphy about glass shattering. Not sure to go with it. Could be manufacturing defect, or maybe damage during transit which it seems can't be seen clearly in tempered glass by eye.
Borosil seems to not be available now. Prices seems to fluctuate according to availability. Both it and Morphy were around 7k at start at year.

Also whats OTG with convection? And what you can't make in OTG vs normal convection oven?

Few things I know that would be cooked are things like sweet potato, pizza, pasta, patties, cakes.
I think, you just need OTG. We had Bajaj OTG 11L about 12 years back. It used to work great with such stuff. Now since last 5.5 years, have shifted to Microwave with convection mode. Except some instances, OTG could have been okay.

... But I don't know what all you can do in convection vs OTG. Also it seems in OTG you can cook multiple items but Convection is faster. Another I was thinking of getting OTG + simple oven. Some OTGs have digital display but most don't not sure if it would be really needed. Not sure what size to buy too...
OTGs (nearly every model, except the very small/cheap ones) are in fact convection ovens - having a heating element + a fan to circulate the hot air. You are probably confusing convection mode with microwave+convection mode. With microwave+convection modes, you get the benefit of faster microwave cooking as well as the browning/crispness (which you don't get when you use the microwave-only mode).

We have both units, and tend to use the OTG for nearly everything except heating food (or the occassional pudding). So, if you are looking for something for cooking food alone, you probably want a OTG. If you need to regularly heat food quickly, an OTG won't do (you almost always need to pre-heat ovens for convection modes to work well, and this takes a bit of time). And if you need both, you'll want to get a microwave+convection oven, which are versatile. Another thing to consider is, OTGs are usually less expensive than microwave+convection ovens, and far simpler - meaning, there is a lot less that can fail.

Here's what I would look for when buying OTGs: 1) Simpler knob-style switches are almost always better than fancy digital interfaces. 2) Double-glass door (for better insulation). 3) Do not also buy a oven that is too large for your intended use - you'll end up having to heat a larger volume unnecessarily, wasting time and electricity. 4) Check for the rotisserie function, if you require it.

Can you cook stuff like pizza/cake in multiple racks in OTG? Also if you don't mind what size OTG you're using and what size pizza you can make?

Can you cook stuff like pizza/cake in multiple racks in OTG? Also if you don't mind what size OTG you're using and what size pizza you can make?
You certainly can cook in multiple racks. But it requires a bit of practice, and some trial and error. This is because the heat signature will differ for each rack (depending on the placement w.r.t. the heating element, the air flow, etc.), which means you may have to re-arrange the racks a couple of times. We seldom cook in multiple racks, since it's quite difficult to get it right always. If you are careful and meticulous enough, you can pull it off.

Our OTG is a Panasonic NB-H3800SSM (a 38L model) bought from Amazon. We regularly make pizzas the size of the provided baking tray (roughly a 28cm x 32 cm rectangle).

BTW, one other thing to look for in OTGs is the heating element (their number and placement). Ideally, you need 2 elements on opposing faces, for even heating.

Back