Need to upgrade TV after 10 years (1-1.5 lakh)

Hello guys,

I bought a Sony HDTV (the first Full HD TV in India) about ten years ago. Paid a premium for it. Now though, it is time to upgrade. Please give suggestions. Also, any trade-in deals?

Anything goes as far as suggestions.....

1. Budget: 1-1.5 lakh

2. Viewing distance: A good couple of feet. 10-15 or so.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc: Xbox One, Roku and one or two other devies.

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV: - LCD/OLED/Ultra HD - Anything but Plasma

5. Preference for brands - Anything goes

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - Nope. First hand only.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - Good enough lightning.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc: 3D support isn't necessarry but all of latest features should be there.

Thanks,
Crazysah

I would suggest you get the biggest and best screen you can get at that price. Even last years models will do. There are a lot of options nowadays to make the TV smarter so don't overpay for any smart features.

http://www.lg.com/in/super-uhd-tv - one of the 49 inch ones but not sure if size is enough for your viewing distance with 4K/UHD.

OLED is probably out of your budget for now.

I'm just posting this from my limited browsing online for TVs. I don't have experience with the latest TV choices but LG seems to be nice VFM with HDR and 4K/UHD and what not.

Another option , get a cheaper non-4K normal Full-HD for time being (say under 1 lakh) then when you have budget a couple of years later you can get a nice OLED 4K UHD monster.

I, for one, won't be splurging on reputed brand names any more as I can't find the difference in PQ between established brands and new brands like VU. I would just buy the biggest screen I can in my budget. I also won't be buying a 4k TV as 4k content is neither easy to find nor do I think it will become a standard for DTH services any time soon.

If you can stretch your budget, LG B6 would be the one. Research on it. Its 2016 model but still better than what ever you can compare with it in that range.

I picked up a VU 65" Iconium 4K TV in July last year and absolutely love it. It has a lot of features like wifi and network connections, android based apps etc. but my philosophy is that a TV should be just for the picture. To that end, I have a Nvidia Shield console for streaming, Videocon d2H for programming and a Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system for audio.

Coming back to the picture. After all the adjustments, 4K content streamed through the Shield is absolutely outstanding. Even up-scaled 1080P content from Videocon D2H simply stands out and is almost 3D in nature when the source quality is good (it varies from channel to channel and program to program). VU doesn't process the picture as much as mainstream brands which may make it look good but takes away some of the realism, which is also why I prefer it. Movement on screen is smooth and is again dependent on the programming source. Non-HD programming is not particularly watchable but, as they say, garbage in - garbage out.

My advice is to go for the largest 4K screen size you can afford because it makes the most dramatic difference. Curved TV's serve no useful purpose at all unless you are sitting 4-5 feet from the screen. At 10-15 feet, the difference between the center and edge of the screen from the viewing position is hardly a few inches so your eyes easily adjust to it.

I cannot vouch for the reliability of VU but it has worked flawlessly since I bought it. It has the back bleed lighting issue that almost all edge lit TV's have but that is barely noticeable in scenes. So I would recommend the 65" VU Premium HD if you are willing to assume all the known/unknown risks associated with a non mainstream brand because it represents value for money and other 65" 4K TV's start at more than double that price. I am already drooling over the 75" model they have but am putting it off until I move to my new house. FYI, all my electronics are behind a stabilizer which I dutifully switch off when I'm finished watching and I'm yet to have a failure with any of them over the last decade.

I picked up a VU 65" Iconium 4K TV in July last year and absolutely love it. It has a lot of features like wifi and network connections, android based apps etc. but my philosophy is that a TV should be just for the picture. To that end, I have a Nvidia Shield console for streaming, Videocon d2H for programming and a Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system for audio.

Coming back to the picture. After all the adjustments, 4K content streamed through the Shield is absolutely outstanding. Even up-scaled 1080P content from Videocon D2H simply stands out and is almost 3D in nature when the source quality is good (it varies from channel to channel and program to program). VU doesn't process the picture as much as mainstream brands which may make it look good but takes away some of the realism, which is also why I prefer it. Movement on screen is smooth and is again dependent on the programming source. Non-HD programming is not particularly watchable but, as they say, garbage in - garbage out.

My advice is to go for the largest 4K screen size you can afford because it makes the most dramatic difference. Curved TV's serve no useful purpose at all unless you are sitting 4-5 feet from the screen. At 10-15 feet, the difference between the center and edge of the screen from the viewing position is hardly a few inches so your eyes easily adjust to it.

I cannot vouch for the reliability of VU but it has worked flawlessly since I bought it. It has the back bleed lighting issue that almost all edge lit TV's have but that is barely noticeable in scenes. So I would recommend the 65" VU Premium HD if you are willing to assume all the known/unknown risks associated with a non mainstream brand because it represents value for money and other 65" 4K TV's start at more than double that price. I am already drooling over the 75" model they have but am putting it off until I move to my new house. FYI, all my electronics are behind a stabilizer which I dutifully switch off when I'm finished watching and I'm yet to have a failure with any of them over the last decade.

How long does the TV take to boot up? I've heard that some large screen TVs take up to a minute or minute and a half to go from power off to fully on?

So basically Vu's 2016 line of TVs compared to any of the curved/OLED TVs?

Then I guess the Vu 65" 1.2 lakh TV would be best?

My suggestion is not to bother with curved TV's. They serve no useful purpose at your viewing distance. OLED TV's are very expensive because the technology is new and it will take some time for it to permeate into the mainstream (like LED replaced LCD in TV background lighting) but go for it if you want the absolute best blacks and no potential back-light bleeding issues. Display size matters. The VU 65" 4K TV gives a more dramatic viewing experience than the 55" LG 1080P TV that it replaced and it was priced at about the same as a LG/Sony/Samsung 55" 4K TV which is why I went for it even though it was not a mainstream brand. Those are the trade-offs that I made when I chose it and I am happy with it.

My suggestion is not to bother with curved TV's. They serve no useful purpose at your viewing distance. OLED TV's are very expensive because the technology is new and it will take some time for it to permeate into the mainstream (like LED replaced LCD in TV background lighting) but go for it if you want the absolute best blacks and no potential back-light bleeding issues. Display size matters. The VU 65" 4K TV gives a more dramatic viewing experience than the 55" LG 1080P TV that it replaced and it was priced at about the same as a LG/Sony/Samsung 55" 4K TV which is why I went for it even though it was not a mainstream brand. Those are the trade-offs that I made when I chose it and I am happy with it.

Possible to buy the TV (Vu 65" at 1.2lakh) offline? Or only Flipkart? Also, exchange offers/where can I sell my old Sony Full HDTV?

If you are buying from flipkart, please first go to Croma/Vijay Sales/Kohinoor and check and then buy. The online and offline rates will vary.

Hi,

Stumbled on this thread randomly to give my 2 cents on the matter.

Ok so I have The LG B6 OLED TV, The Sony 4k (both 55 inch), a Bose 1080p TV, and the VU TV everyone's talking about at a friends house. Now, the Bose is by far the best package, forget what the tabloids say, it is the best hands down but it never lasts for more than 2 months without getting spoilt, don't ever buy it!

The LG B6 is by far the best in terms of raw speed, clarity, those amazing blacks and the most easy interface I might have experienced for a media centre (of sorts). Simply put the LG has the overall best quality in build and picture, someone who never used a laptop or never had the time to learn how to watch stuff like Netflix(I mean my. parents here, true dinosaurs) can simply turn on the TV and hit it off in the first try. It has everything, Netflix, youtube, PLEX! , Amazon prime and the whole package. You can buy it for anywhere between 1.5-1.2 in Mumbai, go ask at Vijay Sales in Santacruz W.

The Sony is an utter waste of money, no offence Sony fans. The picture quality is comparable to that of a Samsung. Not the best and certainly not a 4k I'm ever going to buy. It has way too many flaws. The VU is comparable to the LG in terms of ease of use but nowhere on the scale in terms of picture quality. VU is certainly priced that way too but if you're one of those guys who will last your TV, buy the LG. I know I'm buying a second one during discount season :p

At 10 feet sure 55 inch will be small but do give it a try at Croma, they all surely have the LG TV. Go have a look at the TV's for yourself and compare all 3 side by side and take a call.

using a VU past 6 years 32 incher, still works flawlessly.
I would recommend go for vu 4k 65...best bang for the buck!!

also get a descent sound system to go with it as tv speakers suck!

Cheers!

Back