WTB Need Window 7 Ultimate license for charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

shr1k

Disciple
Does anyone have a legitimate Windows 7 Ultimate license lying unused or that they're looking to give away? A non-profit/charitable organisation I'm helping out needs one license.

Unfortunately, they were conned into buying a counterfeit license from one of the many dodgy online "authorised Microsoft resellers", and now their Windows install has failed activation.

I could hit up some of the darker areas of the interwebs and help them work around this, but I'd rather they just went legit and eliminate any future headaches (also ensuring that they're able to stay up-to-date on virus and software updates from Microsoft).

Further details available on request.

Stick to using a loader. Should work fine.

They could also shoot an email to MS regarding the same, they have some special initiatives for NGOs. But there are stringent requirements.

W7 is still being used, so you could ask for a W8 key -- someone may have a INR 699 key. Free - I dont think so.

The 699 key won't work now since it is a time limited key. Last month of activation was jan 2013 I think.
And windows 8 keys can't be transferred from one pc to another. They are one time activation only according to Microsoft.
Windows 8 pro is around 8k now I think. I don't think windows 7 is for sale anywhere.

Check out Nasscom's Bigtech program : http://bigtech.in/eng/node/2302 (OT: their new site layout is a mess :p)

Signing up will take some effort since they check the NGO's documentation to verify that its legit, but its only a one time headache and totally worth it. Some points to note :
1. They accept only one round of requests per year if I'm not mistaken. So if you're planning to get any more licenses this year, its best to consolidate all your requirements before placing your request.
2. Check the licenses you're getting - most are 'upgrade' licenses, i.e. you should already have a legit license beforehand if you're upgrading. But they've recently introduced 'Get Genuine' programs that are full versions.

Unfortunately, they were conned into buying a counterfeit license from one of the many dodgy online "authorised Microsoft resellers", and now their Windows install has failed activation.
Report the reseller to Microsoft. Did they get their money back?

I could just give them the Win7 Professional key I have lying around, since I don't use Windows any more. But I'm trying to avoid having to run a re-install, and also to allow them to keep Ultimate somehow (even though they don't really use BitLocker or any other Ultimate feature, and would in fact be well served by simply using Home Premium..)

I was hoping someone else would be in the same boat as me -- used to run Windows, then moved away entirely and has their licensed copy just sitting around.

Last option would be to go open source. Do they have specific software that runs only on windows? If not you could install Ubuntu or debian on their pc. Then install libre office. Very similar to ms office but without the ribbon menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back