.Net or Java

jonemere

Recruit
Hi,
Friends I just want to know which language is more in use and which one is best.Guys will you prefer .Net or Java for programming.I know Java but not upto that extent as .Net.So I will prefer .Net and i think it is easy to use than Java.

its hard to say, java seems to be popular at the moment, but depending on domain/application .net is hot too :)

just google for ".net vs java" to get some nice useful links... be careful its hard to know which link is really marketing propaganda from each company (sun or ms) and which is a proper independent assessment...

Totally depends on the application area, the intended platform, and the amount you want spend on building the app as well as maintaining it.

Its a tough question to answer off hand even given all the parameters. Though I've been coding for food on M$ platforms all my life I couldn't proclaim to be be the best for many application areas.

jonemere said:
So I will prefer .Net and i think it is easy to use than Java.
Bingo!

Do what you are most comfortable in. If you're working on M$ platforms thats what you will use for the most part. In the sense you get the best performance for it on that platform. Now if m$ is your preferred personal platform too then the bonus is you will be able to use that knowledge for your personal uses as well. You could augment it further with a knowledge of COM.

Java is more multi-platform, for integrating between different platforms. Mostly server based as thats where its strength lies, it has become more prevalent on the front ends too but thats less in comparison to .net. You're not likely to use much java in your personal life compared to .net unless you really like it. It's mostly for work.

Don't try to do both, stick with one until you master it, in the end thats what pays :)

Well Java has come a long way since it's birth .. the latest IDE's make it just as easy to use like .NET, if not easier ..

For windows based applications, .NET rulez ... but if u want cross platform development/compatibility/deployment then u need Java ..

And like it or not, newer .NET iterations use a lot of concept originally introduced by Java itself ... so ya u can be a jack of both ... but don't master any coz too many changes are coming too rapidly .. do as much as you are required ..

It would help to have knowledge of Databases as well along with any of those languages. Especially in web domain.

Oracle would be an obvious choice considering the sad slow death of MySql, which is inevitable.

i'd have to agree with blr_p's post that if you are already comfortable/prefer .net (i missed reading that part) then stick with it. you cant really predict/gamble with which one will become more successful. its YOU who has to become successful not the language. you can pick up java later on as you gain experience/comfort with development in general.

Preference of language is too domain and interest specific .. Java is popular cross-platform.. MS fans prefer .NET .. there's no concrete answer to your query ..

What you should rather concentrate on is getting strong with object oriented programming concepts and how they can be utilized in both .NET and Java.. know this well and languages become pretty easy to master ..

Another thought.. no one will really be a .NET or a Java master unless even if they've worked on it for several years.. regardless of what you use, .. you are bound to be constantly referring to books to know how things are done.. or done best..

the question should be... web programming(.net/java/php) or application programming(.net/c++) on windows or linux?

Back