Laptops Netbook..few elementry questions

amohit

Disciple
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a netbook for my general usage (not sure which one).
But before I even start looking at netbooks, I just wanted to run my needs through you all and see if there are any better alternatives or if I am on the right track.

My usage is going to be 99% web browsing. Remaining time, may be some basic programming, working with MS office and once in a while, watching movies(not HD). And along with all this I want some kind of mobility as well (mobility is required to read ebooks only).

Now I was thinking of getting myself a netbook for mobility factor. For other things I was thinking of getting myself an additional LCD monitor and a keyboard. So basically will just use the processing capabilities of the netbook.

Is this kind of arrangement possible in netbook? Are there ports to connect external monitor?
I understand, there are normally only 2 usb ports in netbook, Can i connect a UsB splitter to increase the number of available ports. I would need atleast 4 ports (1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse, 1 for external harddrive, 1 spare).

Will there be any problem connecting multiple devices on the same port?

Are there any better alternatives to my problems?

Oh..most importantly...my budget is <20k for PC and my be another 4k for monitor(14-15" will suffice) and 1k for keyboard.
Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
Mohit

get an acer emachines 725 laptop for 20k it has a 15.6 inch screen and will serve your purposes well--@ 4k you can buy a 15 inch lcd--why waste money on multiple things--get that laptop.its an all in one solution.

Got a quote from Prime abgb on lamington road mumbai for the Acer emachines 725. they're quoting 22.5k for the 15" model / 1gb ram / 250gb hdd

sunny27 said:
get an acer emachines 725 laptop for 20k it has a 15.6 inch screen and will serve your purposes well--@ 4k you can buy a 15 inch lcd--why waste money on multiple things--get that laptop.its an all in one solution.

thanks guys.

I think acer 725 at 23k is indeed a better option.

Any pointers on where in bangalore I can try to get a good deal?

Regards,

Mohit

Everything you have said is possible .. even the budget is sufficient..

You just need to decide between the sort of experience / time you'll spend being 'mobile' against using the LCD + keyboard mouse option..

If you are going to be mobile all the time then, from the replies mentioned here you could go for a 24-25K laptop straight-off..

Else,
Buy a netbook + external dvd writer + LCD monitor + keyboard+mouse..
You can get all of them for less than 25k total.

You could also buy a USB hub to solve some of your connectivity problems.

Netbooks come with a VGA-out, so you can make your LCD the primary display when at your desk. Connecting USBs also shouldn't be a problem.
You could also look at a wireless keyboard+mouse combo..

What you could look at are:
- Samsung N128 netbook (14-15k)
- External USB-2 DVD writer (any brand) (2k-3k)
- 19"/20" LCD monitor (6-7k)
- Logitech MK250 (1.2k)
- Any USB hub (few hundreds)

Most of the time, it will not leave my home. May be once or twice in a month I will carry it with me when traveling. Moreover, since I do not have enough $$ rightaway, I was thinking of buying just the netbook now and buy other things in installments.

But then the idea of having a full fledged dual core laptop for 23k made me change my mind.

and now I am again in an indecisive state.

I think the best thing to do will be to go and check out both the N128 and 725 in person and then make a decision.

For now, just knowing that it is possible to add additional stuffs to a netbook to make it more comfortable will atleast help me keep that option open.

Thanks,

Mohit

Back