Network cable unplugged

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
I have 2 ISP's for my PC right now. The first one is a Pacenet connection which is routed via a standard LAN cable in a switch in our building & second is an ADSL based MTNL connection. I used to have a HUB running on my Pacenet connection wherein we could share stuff over the LAN. Recently my old D-Link lan card was giving me some issues & finally died on me. I chucked that out & got a spare Realtek one which was lying with my friend.

Now since I got that LAN card & plug my Pacenet LAN cable in, it says 'Network cable unplugged'. It doesn't bring up any light activity at the back of the LAN card either. Ironically, when I connected my MTNL connection it works fine on that card. I checked the switch as they haven't plugged my plug yet so that should be fine too.

Any idea why it isn't picking up my LAN? :S

Ethan_Hunt said:
I have 2 ISP's for my PC right now. The first one is a Pacenet connection which is routed via a standard LAN cable in a switch in our building & second is an ADSL based MTNL connection. I used to have a HUB running on my Pacenet connection wherein we could share stuff over the LAN. Recently my old D-Link lan card was giving me some issues & finally died on me. I chucked that out & got a spare Realtek one which was lying with my friend.

Now since I got that LAN card & plug my Pacenet LAN cable in, it says 'Network cable unplugged'. It doesn't bring up any light activity at the back of the LAN card either. Ironically, when I connected my MTNL connection it works fine on that card. I checked the switch as they haven't plugged my plug yet so that should be fine too.

Any idea why it isn't picking up my LAN? :S

Possibilities :

1) The port where ur wire is connected for Pacenet is disabled / dead - try a different port if u have access to the switch.

2) The wire has broken somewhere.

3) The RJ-45 is loose on either ends.

4) Run the lan card at half duplex and check.

go to device manager > right click on the lan card > go to 'speed/duplex settings' and switch to 10mbps / 10mbps half duplex and try again.

all valid troubleshooting steps by hanzy..

but i'd suggest avoid step no. 3/4 rite now..

Just get a RJ-45 cable, go to the switch, insert one end of the RJ-45 cable in one LAN port where the Original LAN cable is inserted and insert other end of the same LAN cable into one of the other LAN ports and see both the LAN pOrts are lighting up?? if it does then the ports are working fine if it doesnt then either the port or the cable is faulty.. try with other LAN ports on the same switch to check fi its cable or the port problem ;)
hanzy said:
Possibilities :
1) The port where ur wire is connected for Pacenet is disabled / dead - try a different port if u have access to the switch.
2) The wire has broken somewhere.
3) The RJ-45 is loose on either ends.
4) Run the lan card at half duplex and check.
go to device manager > right click on the lan card > go to 'speed/duplex settings' and switch to 10mbps / 10mbps half duplex and try again.

Back