Never buy Intex/TechCom/Zebronics LanCards!!

Darthcoder

Mirko!
Skilled
OK, SO my Lan card conked out and I go to this "Access2future" shop to buy a lan card or a PCI Ethernet Adapter as they say. He has 2 brands, Intex and "SOHO" (WTF), so I end up buying an Intex lan card, hoping for a quick config and an hour of tf2 before going to the office.

So I install this Lancard straightaway without uninstalling the earlier one and realize my mistake, uninstall the driver and ensure that I get a clean install of the new Lan card's driver. But to my dismay the card just wont work!!The lights blink and all that, tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and stuff but to no avail. Looked at the 3.5" CD supplied with the card, Look at the WinME Directory and it says in the Readme "Run Setup.exe...blabla and WINME should be able to recognise the card" Look in the Readme of WinNT and it says "Run Setup.exe...blabla and WINNT should be able to recognise the card", now look at the Readme in the WinXP and it says "Run Setup.exe...blabla and WIN2000 should be able to recognise the card" and am like WTF :mad:. Seems the drivers supplied for WinXP are faulty and get registered as Silan instead of Realtek card.Also, the intex/techcom/zebronics card are just rebadged taiwanese $hit like Silan and stuff so stay away from em. Intex now has the corrected drivers on their website, I'll try em today and if these dont work am going for "SOHO" :mad:.

I thought Intex was an OK brand but :mad:

Although I've been using onboard LAN cards now for some time, there are still couple of old system I have with separate LAN card. I had decent experience with Realtek cards, while D-Link thrice (yes, that's true) and once Pronet gave me nightmares.

Now my old systems are using Intel original LAN cards... and though these are slightly expensive than regular realtek/pronet/intex etc stuff, they deliver performance and peace of mind. If I have to buy a LAN card, I wouldn't touch anything else than Intel cards now.

Intex doesn't always use Realtek chips now, i have seen many cards showing as Admtek in device manager. One issue i had with such card was, if i install any drivers or manually disable the lan connection from control panel, then it used to disappear from device manager after re-enabling it. Restarting the whole system made it work again. It used to run out of box in linux though so it was definitely crappy drivers for windows .

errr.....I have one of those. 'Silan' is a chipset as well. Only difference being that you need to install drivers for it separately. Thats my exp anyway.

no issues fr me with intex card..based on 8139 rtl....my friends onboard 8169 died...and he is using my intex card for nearly 3 months now..no issues at all..i just downlad the drivers from rtl site..think the card cost me around 140-150..

arre, In such cases, just look at the main chip on the board in question (the NIC controller in this case)

Google for the name of the chip + driver

Back