Android Never buying a SONY phone again !

Looks like Sony has learned something. They are bundling free 1 year ADP with the Z1.:p
Details as to what and the amount covered are still unclear.

Samsung has something similar for the S4 back in july. It was good upto 7k or a free screen replacement also good only for 6 months.

Z series and this waterproof business will require a higher value cover.

[DOUBLEPOST=1379590692][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is this 6 months because sony will be introducing a new flagship every 6 months now ?
its what they can get away with to minimise their losses.

I dont know why Z is advertising it as waterproof and all when it is just closing the holes thing. I think there is a company which does aftermarket water proofing of phones, liquipel or something, they put a layer of some material on each of the components to make it water proof. I don't know the actual details.

I dont know why Z is advertising it as waterproof and all when it is just closing the holes thing. I think there is a company which does aftermarket water proofing of phones, liquipel or something, they put a layer of some material on each of the components to make it water proof. I don't know the actual details.

You generally research everything pretty well Raks. Didn't expect this kinda reply from you. The Z was IP57 certified. Please check out what that means. The Z1 is IP58 certified from what I remember, a level higher than the Z.

You generally research everything pretty well Raks. Didn't expect this kinda reply from you. The Z was IP57 certified. Please check out what that means. The Z1 is IP58 certified from what I remember, a level higher than the Z.

Yes i did not search much into the water proof claim technicalities and instead thought from an end user perspective. My bad. I shall read on what you have mentioned here.

Here's the details of that ADP.

The list of applicable models (Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia SP, Xperia C)

** Accidental Damage Cover applicable for products purchased on or after 15th Sep’13

1. The Accidental Damage Cover shall commence from the date of the purchase of mobile phone (hereafter “Product”) and shall remain valid only for six months from Date of Purchase.
So what happens on first day of seventh month ? Or do they need 6 more months to be able to learn to service the Z in India.

Since Sony india does not as yet service the Z series this plan was brought out.

2. The Purchase of mobile phone should be only from the Authorised Distributor/Dealer/Retailer of Sony. Please always ensure that a valid Sony’s warranty card is invariably issued by the Distributor/Dealer/Retailer to you.

3. This Accidental Damage Cover indemnifies you from the losses/damages which is/shall be occasioned to the product due to physical breakage/damage, liquid spillage and short circuits due to electricity voltage fluctuation.
Water damage is covered :)

5. This Accidental Damage Cover shall provide you Free of Charge (“FOC”) repair or FOC replacement of your product.

If this was in place when the original Z came out then OP would not have had a problem.

Last edited:
https://www.change.org/petitions/sony-mobile-stop-false-advertising-and-focus-on-customer-redressal
I have to complain about the loss in faith I have had in this company I once trusted, considered reliable. I own a Sony Television, a PS3, Music System, POS Camera and now a Smartphone, the Xperia ZR. But the business policy and Service to Consumers have changed over the years, and this has caused a great emotional and economic distress to me.

I had bought an XPERIA ZR(C5502) on the 11th of September, 2013. After a month of use, suddenly the screen of the phone would not turn on. Other functions were working perfectly as far as my knowledge goes, (i.e. camera button, volume keys etc). A few days ago, it stopped booting altogether.

On contacting the Sony Service centre- Accel Frontline Ltd., 601-604, 6th Floor, Ashok Bhavan, 95, Nehru Place, he informed me that I have done water damage to my phone, and therefore void my warranty. I repeatedly asked him to open(unscrew) the phone and check for any damages, but he told me that he wont open it, because some litmus paper inside the phone had turned red, indicating water damage. I persistently said that the phone has undergone no water damage, and is not turning on, so to please check for any damage inside and fix it as it was just a month old and was under warranty. I repeatedly told him that I have not brought the phone under water contact in any manner, to which he replied that then it was my fault during purchase, that I didnt check the water indicator strip, thereby asserting that I AS A CONSUMER AM NOT ASSURED A DEFECT FREE PIECE UPON PURCHASE. WHY DIDNT YOU PUT A CLAUSE FOR THE CONSUMER, THAT "PLEASE CHECK THE WATER INDICATOR UPON PURCHASE" ? THAT INDICATOR HAS BEEN RED AS FAR AS I KNOW.

ADDITIONALLY, THIS PHONE IS IDENTIFIED AS "WATERPROOF" BY SONY. But he said I had to pay 80% of the phone's actual cost, to get a replacement, and he will NOT REPAIR IT UNDER WARRANTY. ALSO, HE ADDED, THAT HE WILL ONLY OPEN IT TO INSPECT IF HE GETS A SPECIAL EMAIL FROM SONY INDIA AUTHORITIES, INSTRUCTING HIM TO DO SO.

This entire routine has aggravated my grievance to such an extent that I decided to go public with it. I opened a petition on change.org ( https://www.change.org/petitions/sony-mobile-stop-false-advertising-and-focus-on-customer-redressal) and put an active post on all consumer awareness and complaint sites on the Internet. I have learnt to love the products of this company over the years and such a negative response has been deplorable on Sony India's part. I sincerely hope for a positive response, as the product was an expensive purchase with my hard earned money, and hope that I dont have to escalate the entire matter to the consumer forums.

We should open separate threads about customer experiences with the customer care / repair center of handsets and see what people have to say. Also they can list the name of person, the exact service center name and address and location etc. This will also help us all ascertain how the service center people treat (f*ck) their consumers when it comes to A.S.S. and see how big of an ass they are.
Even if someone had good experience then he / she can can list there.

Samsung Service Center Experiences
Apple Service Center Experiences
HTC Service Center Experiences
Sony Service Center Experiences
MMX Service Center Experiences

and so on.

@logistopath @Gannu
Can we do this ?

Why not? We have a bunch of threads in the Consumer Feedback section for various customer service centres.

@rohan_mhtr any updates ?

I had bought an XPERIA ZR(C5502) on the 11th of September, 2013. After a month of use, suddenly the screen of the phone would not turn on. Other functions were working perfectly as far as my knowledge goes, (i.e. camera button, volume keys etc). A few days ago, it stopped booting altogether.
What bad timing, just 4 days before Sony launched the ADP for all Z series :(

If you bought on the 15th or later you would have been good for the next 6 months.

On contacting the Sony Service centre- Accel Frontline Ltd., 601-604, 6th Floor, Ashok Bhavan, 95, Nehru Place, he informed me that I have done water damage to my phone, and therefore void my warranty. I repeatedly asked him to open(unscrew) the phone and check for any damages, but he told me that he wont open it, because some litmus paper inside the phone had turned red, indicating water damage. I persistently said that the phone has undergone no water damage, and is not turning on, so to please check for any damage inside and fix it as it was just a month old and was under warranty. I repeatedly told him that I have not brought the phone under water contact in any manner, to which he replied that then it was my fault during purchase, that I didnt check the water indicator strip, thereby asserting that I AS A CONSUMER AM NOT ASSURED A DEFECT FREE PIECE UPON PURCHASE. WHY DIDNT YOU PUT A CLAUSE FOR THE CONSUMER, THAT "PLEASE CHECK THE WATER INDICATOR UPON PURCHASE" ? THAT INDICATOR HAS BEEN RED AS FAR AS I KNOW.
Have read from people in the gulf saying the litmus can get tripped just with sweat. This indicates that the flaps were not closed properly. The onus is on the user to ensure the seals are closed properly. Its next to impossible to show that the seals were faulty at the time of sale as they will not even let you open the box without taking your money.

Now what happens if you open the flap for charging each time, if that seal is not cleaned of dust properly it loses its ability to seal out water. Earphones flap is another. The battery is user replaceable for the ZR so you can open the back cover to change micro sd cards and that's a third flap though opening this would be less frequent than usb charging with flap left open to attract dust while charging takes place. I suspect this flap is the most susceptible to lose its seal. A charging dock is a safer way to charge when using waterproof xperias.

Now, all non-waterproof phones will also be subject to sweat isn't it. if they fail to work then one expects that the vendor will do something about it. Course those units also have litmus checks too. If tripped then the result will be the same, blame the user.

ADDITIONALLY, THIS PHONE IS IDENTIFIED AS "WATERPROOF" BY SONY. But he said I had to pay 80% of the phone's actual cost, to get a replacement, and he will NOT REPAIR IT UNDER WARRANTY. ALSO, HE ADDED, THAT HE WILL ONLY OPEN IT TO INSPECT IF HE GETS A SPECIAL EMAIL FROM SONY INDIA AUTHORITIES, INSTRUCTING HIM TO DO SO.
Right, so this is the std 20k replacement cost. In case of ZR its 80%, with Z its 50%.

The reason they do not open Z series is that as yet sony india isn't authorised to service the z series. They have to send it abroad. Why don't you enquire about repair instead of replacement ? This might work out to be cheaper. I've heard of a 7 day turnaround time, could be longer. If the phone does not come on it might be a motherboard problem, either way they are not equipped to repair it in india. The sony guy cannot open the phone under any circumstances, all he can do is take photos and email them to sweden.

This entire routine has aggravated my grievance to such an extent that I decided to go public with it. I opened a petition on change.org ( https://www.change.org/petitions/sony-mobile-stop-false-advertising-and-focus-on-customer-redressal) and put an active post on all consumer awareness and complaint sites on the Internet. I have learnt to love the products of this company over the years and such a negative response has been deplorable on Sony India's part. I sincerely hope for a positive response, as the product was an expensive purchase with my hard earned money, and hope that I dont have to escalate the entire matter to the consumer forums.
The Z series has caught the servicing dept with its pants down. The S series can be repaired these water proof devices are harder to do. Does that mean these phones are not serviceable is doubtful. But sony needs to get this expertise globalised faster. They are the only company in india that can compete with samsung in terms of infrastructure and resources.

170k xperia Z units imported as of last month with just 3k replacements. That means a one in 50 chance of anything going wrong. Those are real numbers not anecdotes. Z has sold well.

If you know how to manage for problems then i don't think its an issue. These waterproof phones are a different animal compared to the conventional ones.

@KR8NUX - bad luck there man.. i had a ZR which i reviewed also here. the rear battery compartment has a small paper which turns red . mine turned red even when it was properly closed. if u put it in water and take off the cover after taking it out, the water lying around the red rubber goes in that area instantly making that paper red. you can try bleach trick on that to make it white again and go to a different service center ..

In the android space.
I have a feeling that they will try to get away from Android in the future. I don't know whether they'll go for Windows Phone (MS might let Nokia rest a little, so that others can flourish). With Samsung dominating the Android space, there is hardly any profits left for other companies; they're just picking up the crumbs. Tizen perhaps? Or some other Linux variant? Firefox OS even?

Still, they should get this customer service mess fixed up. They have a range of products, and ignoring customers in one product space will have repercussions on how their whole brand is viewed. Once they lose the confidence and trust of their consumers, it will be very hard to gain them back.

Why do you think Sony will move away from android. Their sales figures are doing well. xda nominated sony vendor of the year when it came to developer friendly last year, chances are good they will retain it this year. After nexus, sony (freexperia) & oppo are the most open. Snapdragon cpus with kernel sources for selected devices out there.

All sony has to do to bump up their figures is sell better in the US, get more carriers to carry their devices. However in Asia they are well known. Sony has lots of know how that they could bring into the mobile space.

Back