New Apartment New Stuff

Harshal

Skilled
Hello people of TE,
Moving to a new big apartment in Malad East from my current residence in Bandra WEST as the building/property is going for re-development. While I am still sorting the furniture I thought its time I ask you guys to help me make it better and functional :D
I will need almost everything new as I am going to be living alone in a BIG apartment. But here are the things that I have and will be using:

• 2006 PS3 80GB with 2x controllers
  • Onkyo TX-SR705
  • 2x Rigs (Core i7 975 and Core i7 2600K with GIGABYTE Motherboards)
  • Dell 24" and VS 2025 (both 16:10) are still strong and I guess will do for now
Things I need:

• 1x TV/Panel
  • 1x Good set of HT Speaker
  • 2x Air Con (Splits)
  • 1x WIFI Router
  • 1x Refrigerator
  • 1x Microwave :ashamed:
TV/Panel

Panasonic P50V20D is the one I like. 1.05Lac was the price the brand-store quoted. Am open to idea of a 1080 projector for same amount (screen not inclusive). Difficult I know but hey nothing wrong in wanting more ;)
HT Setup

While I still have ONKYO SR705, I do need good 5.1 (7.1 preferred) to enjoy my movies and games with whatever screen I pick. Budget is 2L.
Air Con

Living Room : 290sqft

Master Bedroom : 181sqft

I guess a 2ton and 1ton is basic. I don't like freezing temps :p specially when its my body which is at the receiving end. Keeping it pleasant @ 22~24*c is perfect according to me. :p
WiFi Router

I need a strong one with a greater coverage area. I want every corner to be covered.
Refrigerator

When I visited Croma last week I checked Samsung's FF255L RT26FC or something. Seems too big for me right now but smaller I dont think makes sense. Budget 18K
I would like to get even cooler stuff for apartment as well, depending on the $$$$ off course.. but yeah do suggest and lets see if I can manage to fit it.

Satan said:
Talk to Kohinoor. You can get a much better deal on the P50V20. Defiintely south of 1L.
THAT^ would be a killer deal if he can source one at that price point. That TV is second to none in terms of the PQ and the deep black levels. Harshal would know of the same than me. :p

I am not sure if any projector could come close to this display in terms of the PQ. Not to mention the additional investment for the required projection screen, framework installation, ambient lighting (contrast of the output from a projector is very much dependent on the ambient lighting unlike a LCD/PDP!), yada yada.

It's a good display but it's sad that Panasonic shafted us (Indians) on this one.

The model sold around the world comes with the Infinite Black PRO panels unlike the one sold here, which not only is more expensive, but also comes with the cheaper Infinite Black panel. No THX either (for the video groupies & philes ;))

Kohinoor I shall speak with. Thanks Satan and Gun Master!

I am a little old for this but hey you live once. This is a bacheloror pad guys go crazy with ideas within the budget :p

If you are considering projectors as well, do give the Panasonic AE4000 a good look. Its one of those once in a couple of years happening electronics wonders. The PQ is supreme but its what the thing can do with aspect ratios and other adjustments that impressed me more. Paired with a decent screen this will be one kick-a$$ setup. It retails about 1.25 can be further south if haggled well 'nuff.

Dada what is the budget you have set aside for the couple of ACs? And how long is this unit going to be operated daily?

70-80K? I am not sure man..

As for usage, 1/2hrs every night for 1 ton in room and say 8~10 hours for 2/2.5ton unit in living room as thats where I will spend more time, games, testing hardware, watching movies etc etc.

Hi

I can only advise you on the speaker set. I assume you're using the same receiver.

I would suggest following:

1. All-Usher system: X-718 fronts and matching center, S-520 rears and surrounds. Velodyne 12" Subwoofer. Should be just around the 2L mark for a full 7.1 setup, and you'll need stands (which can now be procured easy and reasonably). If you're OK with 5.1 you can step up to the BE or DMD-718 for the fronts, which will be better for music.

2. If you want pretty stuff, try the Anthony Gallos. Not as nice-sounding as the Ushers, but the ladies will love it. And they'll be fine for movies.

3. I watch movies in stereo, so if you're not too finicky about surround you can pick a pair of really good speakers for the front channels. The DMD-Dancer is around 1.8L a pair and you will not miss anything. However you may need a new amplifier as the AVR will not have the right amount of muscle for speakers like these.

Good Luck :)

Aah, all I see is wastage of money, :p, that much money could have been spent on binning 2600K and a couple of 990X, and then a few GTX580's and LN2, :p

cranky said:
Hi

I can only advise you on the speaker set. I assume you're using the same receiver.

I would suggest following:

1. All-Usher system: X-718 fronts and matching center, S-520 rears and surrounds. Velodyne 12" Subwoofer. Should be just around the 2L mark for a full 7.1 setup, and you'll need stands (which can now be procured easy and reasonably). If you're OK with 5.1 you can step up to the BE or DMD-718 for the fronts, which will be better for music.

2. If you want pretty stuff, try the Anthony Gallos. Not as nice-sounding as the Ushers, but the ladies will love it. And they'll be fine for movies.

3. I watch movies in stereo, so if you're not too finicky about surround you can pick a pair of really good speakers for the front channels. The DMD-Dancer is around 1.8L a pair and you will not miss anything. However you may need a new amplifier as the AVR will not have the right amount of muscle for speakers like these.

Good Luck :)

Thanks a lot, Sangram. :)
thebanik said:
Aah, all I see is wastage of money, :p, that much money could have been spent on binning 2600K and a couple of 990X, and then a few GTX580's and LN2, :p

True, but then again all that can still be done... if I want it. :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok, I just visited Panasonic US site and I found that GT30 & ST30 50" ~ 55" are out. Any idea if India will get those soon?

I was thinking to wait for these if its a month or two away.

You can get some kickass projectors from Dubai for almost half the price they are available here. You can even get them via sites like shopyourworld.com. Just as an example, the Optoma HD20 costs 80k+ in India but is available for 50k in Dubai...I think Alfa in Mumbai stocks it for around 60k...

Satan said:
Panasonic usually refreshes their line in India between June-August.
Dammn itzzz! So 50" Panny V20 and/OR a Projector and a 100" screen!

Fahrenheit said:
You can get some kickass projectors from Dubai for almost half the price they are available here. You can even get them via sites like shopyourworld.com. Just as an example, the Optoma HD20 costs 80k+ in India but is available for 50k in Dubai...I think Alfa in Mumbai stocks it for around 60k...

Thank man will look into it.

If you plan on going the projector route then you can even buy the projector from bhphotovideo.com. They have an office in Pune which will take care of all the customs etc and get it delivered to your place. The conversion rate is usually 55 bucks per dollar. Email them at bhindia@vsnl.net for a quote.

Big change in plans:

For my apartment: Gonna stick with the Current 46" Samsung B530 that I have at my home and get myself Optoma or Panasonic projector with a screen of 92~100".

For my parents apartment: Gonna buy 50" V20D.

As for air-con, Daikin 2ton for living and 1.5ton for room is what I have been suggested. Good enough?

Harshal said:
Big change in plans:

For my apartment: Gonna stick with the Current 46" Samsung B530 that I have at my home and get myself Optoma or Panasonic projector with a screen of 92~100".

For my parents apartment: Gonna buy 50" V20D.

As for air-con, Daikin 2ton for living and 1.5ton for room is what I have been suggested. Good enough?

Ain't 2Ton an overkill?

Dada, other than Daikin you may also want to check out ACs from General (JV between Fujitsu-General Japan and ETA Dubai, sold as O-General aircons in India), Toshiba-Daiseikai (JV between Toshiba and Carrier), Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Hitachi etc considering you have opted for the ACs from the top-tier segment.

There may not be a huge difference in the pricing but the service may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've had a good experience from Panasonic. They had installed the AC a month back and called me up twice after about a fortnight to ensure that it is working safe and sound, without any issues.

Back