PC Peripherals New Apple iMacs, Mac Minis, Mice, etc

The new iMac looks almost like an exact replica of a Japanese (or Korean, I don't remember much about the brand itself) made Single Piece PC I saw a couple of years back. Only the stand and the apple logo are different and it was a bit more glossy looking. However that was in 19" size. Anyway's it looks alright, nothing special as far as looks are concerned.

Apple dropped a hardware update bomb Tuesday morning with a brand-new desktop mouse, new iMacs, new low-end MacBooks, and a new Mac mini. All of the above had been rumored for some time, but a new mouse was the first to captivate Apple fans' attention due to its multitouch makeover.

hero_2_20091020.jpg

Named the "Apple Magic Mouse" (please, reserve your snickers for the comments), the Mighty Mouse replacement has no buttons at all and sports a "seamless multi-touch surface." According to Apple, the multitouch surface covers the entire surface of the device, enabling users to scroll in any direction or swipe through webpages just by moving their fingers across the top. It's only available in Bluetooth form; if you want a wired mouse, Apple has rebranded the Mighty Mouse as the "Apple Mouse" and is continuing to sell it.

Apple reassures us that Magic Mouse "won't confuse a scroll with a swipe," presumably because of the magical chip embedded inside. Apple is trying to replicate the multitouch functionality of the trackpad on a mouse, but we won't know how successful the effort is until we get our hands on one. The mouse by itself costs $69, but it comes packaged with the iMacs introduced today.

iMacs
As expected, Apple's venerable all-in-one desktop was also updated with the addition of a 27-inch model and a bump on the lower end to 21.5-inches. The new iMacs now sport 16x9 aspect ratios on LED-backlit screens, at resolutions of 1920x1080 (1080p) and 2560x1440, respectively. What's most interesting about the new 27-inch iMac is that they have Mini DisplayPort-in; this means that users will be able to connect external sources to the iMac's display, such as a DVD player or other computers, essentially allowing them to use the iMac as a TV or external monitor for a notebook. (Imagine Apple's current 24-inch Cinema Display's functionality with the current notebook line, and stick it in an iMac.)

new_imac_ars-thumb-640xauto-9197.jpg

In addition to the screen overhauls, the new iMacs also sport faster hardware, including the addition of a 2.66GHz or 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 in the 27-inch iMac model. (The 21.5-inch model brings either a 3.06GHz with 3MB L2 cache or 3.33GHz with 6MB L2 cache Intel Core 2 Duo.) This marks the first time Apple has offered quad-core CPUs in the consumer-oriented iMac line—previously, it was limited to the Mac Pros alone. The 21.5-inch version has NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics or ATI Radeon HD 4670 discrete graphics, while the 27-inch model has either ATI Radeon HD 4670 discrete graphics or ATI Radeon HD 4850 discrete graphics.

Storage-wise, both iMacs come with either a 500 or 1TB SATA drive or an optional (built-to-order) 2TB SATA drive. Like Apple's latest notebook line, the new iMac also has a built-in SD card slot for easy transferring of pictures and other data. Finally, the iMacs come with a completely new wireless keyboard and the Magic Mouse. The 21.5-inch iMac starts at $1,199 and the 27-inch model starts at $1,699, and there's a walkthrough video for those inclined to check it out.

Mac mini
Apple didn't forget about the bastard child sometimes-neglected Mac mini this time around, either. The little machine didn't get an external touch-up, but it did get a bump in processor specs, memory, and the option to turn it into a server. The mini now sports a 2.26, 2.53, or 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache and up to 4GB of RAM total starting at $599.
overview-hero-20091020.jpg

There's also a $999 mini configuration that replaces the built-in optical drive with a second 500GB hard drive (1TB total) and comes with Mac OS X Server (Snow Leopard) installed. Excitement about the Mac OS X Server Mac mini is somewhat tempered by the presence of 5400rpm drives inside, a tradeoff necessary to keep the price down and retain the mini's form factor.

MacBooks
Last up is a new, slimmer version of its $999, entry-level MacBook computer. Apple has managed to shave some weight and thickness by employing similar construction techniques used in its line of aluminum MacBook Pros, but the MacBook retains its iconic white polycarbonate shell. It includes a number of welcome hardware upgrades, but MacBook owners will be once again saying goodbye to FireWire.
overview_hero1_20091020.jpg

The hardware inside the new MacBook remains similar to the previous incarnation: a 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo processor, mated to an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M chipset with integrated graphics, on a 1066MHz frontside bus. It comes supplied with 2GB of DDR3 SDRAM, and like the previous version, only supports up to 4GB. The base hard drive is a 250GB 5400rpm SATA drive, with 320GB and 500GB options available. It also includes the venerable 8x slot-loading SuperDrive, and networking options include 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, and Gigabit Ethernet.

There are a number of notable changes that come via Apple's 13" MacBook Pro, however. The new MacBook now has a thin, bright, LED-backlit 13.3" 1280x800 display. It also has the same large, buttonless, glass multi-touch trackpad featured on the MacBook Pro line. And, it inherits the non-removeable 7-hour rechargeable battery from its unibody brethren. The port arrangement is revised once again, with the MacBook loosing FireWire—Apple is clearly differentiating FireWire as a "pro-only" feature. In addition to a MagSafe power port and Gigabit Ethernet, the new unibody MacBook has a Mini DisplayPort, two USB 2.0 ports, and a switchable analog/digital audio in/out port (which is compatible with Apple's headphones with an inline mic).

Cosmetically, there are a number of changes as well. Similar to the tapered design of the aluminum MacBook Pro line, the new polycarbonate unibody MacBook has gently curved edges. It's ever so slightly thinner, just a hair over an inch thick, and weighs just 4.7 lbs. The entire bottom is one piece, covered entirely in soft rubber like the bottom of Airport Base Stations or the Mac mini, which should make it very slip resistant. It's a small touch, but the integrated iSight has a circular opening to the lens instead of the rounded square of older models. The MagSafe power adapter also includes a revised plug that is highly reinforced, which should eliminate potential for the cord to become damaged or frayed after extended use.

Keeping in line with Apple's green initiatives, the polycarbonate unibody shell is made to be easily recycled. The new MacBook is also BFR-free, PVC-free, mercury-free, and arsenic-free. It meets all Energy Star 5.0 requirements and has an EPEAT Gold rating. Apple even managed to shrink the packaging by another 20 percent.

While price drops across the board would have been nice, Apple has been selling record numbers of Macs without significantly cutting prices. The newest updates are in line with Apple's history of new hardware with new features at similar prices.
- Ars.

Anish said:
Apple just gatecrashed the Windows 7 launch party with a brand new line of products.

Apple redesigns iMac and 13-inch MacBook, revamps Mac Mini | Crave - CNET

The new iMacs and Mighty Mouse are to die for!

Its called Magic mouse.:p.

And yes, the new updates are just incredible. The top of the line iMac with corei7 is one hell of a beast! and all the new iMacs some with superior LED backlit IPS panels for a stunning color accuracy and clarity. I'm so thrilled, seriously considering the 27" model, hope it'll be available soon here.

Apple has really upped the ante, just the day before apple reported highest ever Q4 profits and now this, its just awesome.

Lord Nemesis said:
The new iMac looks almost like an exact replica of a Japanese (or Korean, I don't remember much about the brand itself) made Single Piece PC I saw a couple of years back. Only the stand and the apple logo are different and it was a bit more glossy looking. However that was in 19" size. Anyway's it looks alright, nothing special as far as looks are concerned.

LOL..What's left?..ah the display panel i guess. Anyway i'd acknowledge your post if you can bring up any reliable source, otherwise its just BS.

Way to troll btw!:p

I think the bump in specs and design on the entry level Macbook has put a decent, well-spec'ed Apple notebook in reach for everybody now.

Can't wait to checkout the mouse though! Wish I had the dough for the 21.5" iMac too haha!

Macinstein said:
LOL..What's left?..ah the display panel i guess. Anyway i'd acknowledge your post if you can bring up any reliable source, otherwise its just BS.

I saw it in an Korean magazine (that was designed in our App) that we got as a test sample from Korea. The magazine was in Korean, but don't know whether the brand itself was Korean or Japanese.

btw, I didn't say that Apple copied the design from them, just that I saw a similar design two years back. Its quite possible that two companies comes up with a similar design quite independently without knowing about the other and especially when they are separated geographically.

In any case I don't give a damn if you think its BS. Even if I go to the trouble of finding magazine again (which is next to impossible considering it was nearly two years back that I saw it), scan and post it, you are just going say its photo shopped or that the company stole it from apple (two years before they made it) or some thing else

Lord Nemesis said:
I saw it in an Korean magazine (that was designed in our App) that we got as a test sample from Korea. The magazine was in Korean, but don't know whether the brand itself was Korean or Japanese.

btw, I didn't say that Apple copied the design from them, just that I saw a similar design two years back. Its quite possible that two companies comes up with a similar design quite independently without knowing about the other and especially when they are separated geographically.

Definition: Replica

1. [noun] copy that is not the original; something that has been copied

-Dictionary.com

Your post clearly implied so.

Lord Nemesis said:
In any case I don't give a damn if you think its BS. Even if I go to the trouble of finding magazine again (which is next to impossible considering it was nearly two years back that I saw it), scan and post it, you are just going say its photo shopped or that the company stole it from apple (two years before they made it) or some other BS like a obedient little fanboi. So, you can go ahead and water your mouth and wag your tail at every apple announcement for all I care. In the end its most likely that I will get that new model on my desk before you ever will :rofl:

Just so you know, Apple has been using the same aluminium casing and design for their iMacs since Aug '07, thats almost over two years and what they just did in this update, is that they replaced the platic back with an aluminium back along with shaving some bits off the chin area, thats all. So, i don't see how they aped it or whatever you wanted to imply.

And i don't give a **** either but you don't have to be a prick about it.

What you mostly do is keep on trolling in most apple related threads all the time, which annoys the **** out of me or anyone who cares for some constructive discussion,

but meh, whatever floats your boat.

And at any rate, i'm past the age when i'd just brag about the products i use or get to use first to increase my e-pen.., not my thing.

Macinstein said:
What you mostly do is keep on trolling in most apple related threads all the time, which annoys the **** out of me or anyone who cares for some constructive discussion,
but meh, whatever floats your boat.
+1.. Even I get very angry at times.. But I just prefer to turn a deaf ear to all these kinda posts.. :)

Macinstein said:
Your post clearly implied so.

Exactly where in my post did I imply that explicitly? You just assumed that. I used the word Replica in the sense that it looks exactly the same as the other machine I saw. I said I saw a similar design in another machine already and its alright but nothing great.

Macinstein said:
Just so you know, Apple has been using the same aluminium casing and design for their iMacs since Aug '07, thats almost over two years and what they just did in this update, is that they replaced the platic back with an aluminium back along with shaving some bits off the chin area, thats all. So, i don't see how they aped it or whatever you wanted to imply.

Where did I mention anything about the materials used, The other machine I saw was made of plastic, the color combination was black around the LCD and the rest silverly white with a glassy look on the display area. And yeah, Apple had not introduced the Aluminum iMacs by then. The design was completely different from iMac available at the time.

mihirpradhan204 said:
+1.. Even I get very angry at times.. But I just prefer to turn a deaf ear to all these kinda posts.. :)

Thats the best way to deal with trolling, no doubt.

@Mac: PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS as it will only lead to continuation of disruptive posts, hope you get my point.

@topic: New iMacs are gorgeous indeed but they should've included blu-ray as well.

^^LOL.. Very few things from Apple sell at a sane price. Cinema Displays are too bloody costly. But then, what do you expect from a company that's used to selling a power cable for $50. 1900XT is still selling for $400 if I remember right.

To tell the truth It was the Cinema Displays I saw at office that made me upgrade to an LCD. The earlier TN crap I saw was enough to put me of LCD's altogether. The S-IPS Cinema Displays made me get my Dell 2007WFP.

ahhh the hater continues. keep goin lord.. u should really check this years apple profits.

btw hows ur mac development goin? still failing im sure. just coz of your Incompetence :)

your words are just blah blah and more blah to us fanboi's like u call it. :) get a life.

Chaos said:
Will they sell only the displays at a sane price? :p :p
Yeah its hilarious! The 30" Cinema display is $1750 while the 27" iMac starts at $1699!

Here's Indian pricing btw. Pretty sweet TBH.
* The 21.5 inch iMac with a 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive, priced at Rs. 64,900.
* The next model, 21.5 inch with a 3.06Ghz CPU, and an ATi 4670 256MB discreet graphics, 1TB hard drive, is priced at Rs. 79,900. (I wonder if there’s a mistake here and it’s not the 3.33Ghz CPU)
* The 27 inch model, with a 3.0Ghz processor, 4GB of RAM, ATi 4670 discreet graphics, 1TB hard drive, priced at Rs. 89,000 (wow!)
* The 27 inch, with 2.66Ghz quad core Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, ATi 4850 discreet graphics, 1TB hard drive, priced at Rs. 1,06,900
The new wireless Magic Mouse, which is bundled along with the new iMacs, is also available at Rs. 3890, and works with any other Mac.

The MacBook was also updated, featuring a unibody albeit plastic shell and new insides, and is priced at Rs. 56,900.
Source : India: Pricing for Apple’s new Hardware announced | Smoking Apples

Some things never change..

Constructive decision = licking the balls of your favourite company.

Trolling = when some one busts the balls of your favourite company, shows their incompetence, all in your face, cant ignore, cant counter..jus call it trolling

We can all see who are the trollers here..those who can break apart a post and give links to dictionary.com, can certainly search for trolling while they are at it..
On topic, i dont think the mouse is that great for the price it comes..can it double up as a gaming mouse? Cause imo, the novelty will year of in a week or two of using..

Back