New Bank Account

These are the times where the customer`s butts are being bashed by Banks.

Due to rising cost of running company, rising cost of acquiring funds, and scenario pointing towards tightening liquidity banks have take alternate route to generate funds.

HDFC Bank had sent mailers to all customers in march this year about imminent change in AQB being implemented from 1/7/2010.

Expect almost every bank to follow the suit soon.

If you just want to keep the AQB low than nothing beats PSU banks hands down. Amongst the PSU banks SBI / BOB are the leading banks where you can get fair spread across the country.

But if you are interested in better services you can join any of the private sector banks.

But KOTAK / YES / AXIS such smaller bank still are in expanding mode, they dont have their ATMs every where, so when you join low AQB account you are tied down to a lot of conditions, which restrict use of ATMs, Branches, Cheques, so you have to study the tiny little book provided with your welcome kit or read online first before selecting the bank.

Better will be you go personally to a bank branch and ask about all the conditions beforehand rather than relying on DSA coming at home.

My suggestion would be select a bank which has a branch very near to your home / work so that you can compensate on less spread ATM network.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

FaH33m said:
Check if your dad / mom has a salary or a gold account at ICICI then you can get yourself a gold account as well with Zero balance criteria . Only the parent account needs to maintain the minimum balance. That's how I got my ICICI gold account , its really awesome as I dont need to stand in a quee as well ,just go the priority banking counter and its done.
viralbug said:
What? You kidding? :O Hmmm, lemme check.
Regarding this is if your family have many bank accounts with HDFC than you can make a clubbing and get head of family registered as PB Banking custormer, its called "Classic Banking", there are so many charges waived off in this scheme that its really attractive, I got my 7 accounts clubbed this way and waived off annual debit card fee, third party transaction fee, unlimited transaction at other bank ATMs, waiver of AQB for majority of accounts.

Almost all private banks have such facility also check about them.

Back